Sponsored

Trail Turn Assist Isn't Working - not locking up wheel - Fixed!?

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I finally had some trails to use TTA, the inner wheel never locks up or drags. I thought maybe it doesn't work with doors off. Tested with doors on, no change. I read online it won't engage if the rear lockers were recently engaged, that didn't help. I have a call into local service dept for an appt, but we know how that'll go. I've tested on very loose dirt and gravel, every mode, doors off/on, no luck.

Is there a fuse or something to check? Ideas?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 F250, ‘88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you understand it doesn’t engage until you’re at full turn? Not being a wise ass. Simplest things first.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was going to suggest the same thing. Although I do not have a build date yet I have driven one off road and tried the TTA. It HAS to be a full lock. I started a turn and thought the same, it didn't feel any different. Then I JACKED the wheel, and hard. Then it started to lock up the wheel and you could hear it growl as well. Then it REALLY turned.

Oh, it also does not work above 25 MPH.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Be in 4wd, press the hero button. Then at slow speeds hit full steering lock.

OP
OP
akturbo

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right, I've got the basics covered, very familiar with the Bronco. It locked when it was new, now it doesn't.

Sponsored
OP
OP
akturbo

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fixed...🤷‍♂️ My only explanation is that the TTA uses the emergency/parking brake for the turn, and that those pads were dirty and not gripping ( I don't know if there are different pads). Based on another thread on failed brakes I thought to test the e-brake by pressing the brakes and holding the parking brake, cycling a few times forward and reverse, my TTA is now working!

Proof I'm not crazy

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've seen a professional Baja racer use TTA at high speeds. (Will not disclose which Bronco-Rodeo venue he works at...) He said it take 3 conditions to engage it. Hero switch; Wheel at lock; and acceleration.
THis guys would come drifting out of a turn at high speed (on dirt) and then turn to lock to engage TTA to straighten the vehicle up, while never dropping speed. Hard to explain, but incredible to witness.
TTA is not just for slow speed switchbacks.
I've seen all the rock crawling videos and read the post from owners using their Bronco off-road; I often wonder if we are really using the Bronco to its full potential.... This thing is capable of things no other production vehicle can do.
Sponsored