2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Friken shocked that Ford is using the Redarc Pro Elite. That unit is absolute tits compared to the analog unit Ford has used on the F150 for decades (slightly different interface depending on generation).

@2Jeeps&PatriotX1 has also had this experience with the older Ford units.

We settled on the Redarc Pro Elite for our Ranger and it's worked flawlessly.

Short video of it's functions:
Yep. I'll take the redarc tow pro elite over my oem f150 brake controller all day long! I'll be installing the redarc the first day I bring the Bronco home.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Friken shocked that Ford is using the Redarc Pro Elite. That unit is absolute tits compared to the analog unit Ford has used on the F150 for decades (slightly different interface depending on generation).

@2Jeeps&PatriotX1 has also had this experience with the older Ford units.

We settled on the Redarc Pro Elite for our Ranger and it's worked flawlessly.

Short video of it's functions:
Wow, yeah, think I’ll put one of these on and convert to electric over hydraulic on the trailer.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yep. I'll take the redarc tow pro elite over my oem f150 brake controller all day long! I'll be installing the redarc the first day I bring the Bronco home.
Likewise.

I only do one serious tow per year which will be at max weight (for Bronco's rating) but goes through a half dozen mountain passes including the last one which is a brutal 4 mile decent at 10%-12% grade. In Ranger we had 7K behind us and with the F350 it was closer to 12K.... So obviously there's a lot of pairing down for Bronco, but the vehicle will also be at/over capacity before adding the trailer on there.

Having witnessed trailers go over the edge of these cliffs before, i'll stake my personal safety on having the trailer take up some of the braking requirements instead of relying entirely on the vehicle.

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can't imagine the need for a brake controller towing the max 3,500lbs
This is what Ford thinks about trailer brakes behind our Broncos. Straight out of the owners manual. As a trailer dealer since 1990, I agree with Ford.! Brake controller shoulda been factory installed.!
Ford Bronco Trailer Brake Controller Added to Available 2021 Bronco Accessories B29CABB6-46AE-4F58-8861-870CC23FA7D0

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone installed this yet in their Bronco? My Bronco w/ tow package was just built and should arrive early December. Ive installed a couple of these now in other tow vehicles and debating whether to have the dealership just install it before I pick it up.

Sponsored
OP
OP
M&M Beer

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Anyone installed this yet in their Bronco? My Bronco w/ tow package was just built and should arrive early December. Ive installed a couple of these now in other tow vehicles and debating whether to have the dealership just install it before I pick it up.
I am going to use my Ford points to have one installed. I still think it should be installed at the factory they are putting on a 7 pin plug.

OP
OP
M&M Beer

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How do you apply the trailer brakes without applying the truck brakes with this kit? Does the knob push in or something? If this isn’t possible I’ll be looking for something else.
edit I see it has a user control mode so I guess that’s how
Yes the button mounts in the center arm rest next to the window switch.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am going to use my Ford points to have one installed. I still think it should be installed at the factory they are putting on a 7 pin plug.
The brake controller isnt installed at the factory. Its dealer installed. Factory only installs the hitch and the 4/7 wiring harness.

Lesymarie

Base
First Name
Lesy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D BRONCO 2.7L RAPID RED
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

(I am getting a mannequin w/ no tow package)

Any input/suggestions for getting a 7 pin plug? I asked my dealer to put on step bars (no issues) and the tow package with a 7 pin... and they advised that they cannot put a 7 pin on the Bronco, only a 4 pin...

BroncoPQ

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Who has the brake controller. My electric brakes are new on the trailer. It does seem to work. I can see the brake lights while i am pressing the buttom but it does not brake the trailer!!
Ford Bronco Trailer Brake Controller Added to Available 2021 Bronco Accessories 20211209_164137

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
(I am getting a mannequin w/ no tow package)

Any input/suggestions for getting a 7 pin plug? I asked my dealer to put on step bars (no issues) and the tow package with a 7 pin... and they advised that they cannot put a 7 pin on the Bronco, only a 4 pin...
And the lie detector determined that was a lie. Of course they can put a 7 pin on it, they just don't want to.

Lesymarie

Base
First Name
Lesy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D BRONCO 2.7L RAPID RED
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

And the lie detector determined that was a lie. Of course they can put a 7 pin on it, they just don't want to.

I KNOW 🤬

I pick up my Bronco in 2.5 weeks... I'm going to find an AM place to put it in for me.

Samsquanch75

Black Diamond
First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sasquatch 4dr, 2018 4Runner TRD OffRd
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The RedArc TowPro Elite is the S**t! I have been using the same unit in my 4Runner now for a year when towing my off-road camp trailer. I picked up the Ford boxed unit at the local dealer using my FordPass points. Not a bad install. The box has a QR code you scan for instructions. Ford Ranger is referenced in several parts of the instructions along with Bronco specific instructions. The wiring pigtail plugs into the brake controller port on the driver side footwell and snakes across behind the HVAC and radio controls. the controller box that mounts up behind the center console/dash bracing with the glove box removed. A second pigtail routes under the console trim pieces along the trans tunnel to the controller knob that is mounted in the console just below the junk box lid. Installation isn't too bad although the plastic trim pieces that need to be removed felt a bit fragile in our cold weather.
Ford Bronco Trailer Brake Controller Added to Available 2021 Bronco Accessories 66157688556__317C9B39-0003-42E7-8664-94A11BF0F159

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The RedArc TowPro Elite is the S**t! I have been using the same unit in my 4Runner now for a year when towing my off-road camp trailer. I picked up the Ford boxed unit at the local dealer using my FordPass points. Not a bad install. The box has a QR code you scan for instructions. Ford Ranger is referenced in several parts of the instructions along with Bronco specific instructions. The wiring pigtail plugs into the brake controller port on the driver side footwell and snakes across behind the HVAC and radio controls. the controller box that mounts up behind the center console/dash bracing with the glove box removed. A second pigtail routes under the console trim pieces along the trans tunnel to the controller knob that is mounted in the console just below the junk box lid. Installation isn't too bad although the plastic trim pieces that need to be removed felt a bit fragile in our cold weather.
Ford Bronco Trailer Brake Controller Added to Available 2021 Bronco Accessories 66157688556__317C9B39-0003-42E7-8664-94A11BF0F159
Thanks for the visual. The more I read about trailer braking the more I feel I need to just bite the bullet and spend the extra money on a good safe solution. Thus, I am looking at getting Ford's version of the RedArc TowPro Elite (VM2DZ-2C006-A), hopefully using points! However, I am confused if it also comes with a 7 pin connector (4 pin too for that matter) as I ordered my Bronco without a tow package so it needs all the goodies. I was looking at ordering this plus the Ford hitch (MB3Z19D520A) so hoping to avoid a standalone trailer hitch wiring harness.

Also, now that you have installed and used the controller knob, any regrets on the location? I say that because I was thinking before I saw your pic to mount it near the light switch or some other place on the dash where you can monitor it closer? Although the light swtich area is hard to see too. Just curious if there are any concerns being so low and out of view like that. It does have a very clean factory look though!

Samsquanch75

Black Diamond
First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sasquatch 4dr, 2018 4Runner TRD OffRd
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the visual. The more I read about trailer braking the more I feel I need to just bite the bullet and spend the extra money on a good safe solution. Thus, I am looking at getting Ford's version of the RedArc TowPro Elite (VM2DZ-2C006-A), hopefully using points! However, I am confused if it also comes with a 7 pin connector (4 pin too for that matter) as I ordered my Bronco without a tow package so it needs all the goodies. I was looking at ordering this plus the Ford hitch (MB3Z19D520A) so hoping to avoid a standalone trailer hitch wiring harness.

Also, now that you have installed and used the controller knob, any regrets on the location? I say that because I was thinking before I saw your pic to mount it near the light switch or some other place on the dash where you can monitor it closer? Although the light swtich area is hard to see too. Just curious if there are any concerns being so low and out of view like that. It does have a very clean factory look though!
It does not come with a 4 or 7 pin wiring harness. Im not sure what provisions yours will have since it does not have the tow package. As far as the location, its not where I would have chosen but it seems to be ok and is easily adjusted without really needing to look down.
Sponsored