Sponsored

Trailer hitch commodity - Is the hitch on the demos the production version?

wbrainbow

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 C-10, 2022 Black Diamond, 2007 Harley Davidso
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My friend just bought anew Rubicon a few days ago. He removed the hitch from his old Jeep and it’s sitting on his garage floor. It bolts through the rear cross member with four bolts. This hitch looks exactly like the hitch on the demos going around the country. Is the hitch on the demos the production hitch or is it “just until” the production one is made. It doesn’t look like a challenge to produce so why is it a “deadly sin” or are the wiring harnesses the issue?
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My friend just bought anew Rubicon a few days ago. He removed the hitch from his old Jeep and it’s sitting on his garage floor. It bolts through the rear cross member with four bolts. This hitch looks exactly like the hitch on the demos going around the country. Is the hitch on the demos the production hitch or is it “just until” the production one is made. It doesn’t look like a challenge to produce so why is it a “deadly sin” or are the wiring harnesses the issue?
I think what we've seen is production, don't know why it would be constrained. I might guess the wiring package may be the issue.

The Bronco hitch looks just like a Wrangler hitch. Wouldn't it be nice if the dimensions and bolt holes were the same? You can buy them after market for $65.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I think what we've seen is production, don't know why it would be constrained. I might guess the wiring package may be the issue.

The Bronco hitch looks just like a Wrangler hitch. Wouldn't it be nice if the dimensions and bolt holes were the same? You can buy them after market for $65.
Unless it is made out of that Boron Steel, it is much wimpier than the Wrangler hitch - at least the JKs. I know the JLs are different, and they could have cut weight.

Based on what I've read - steel is apparently almost as scarce as lumber right now.

Ford Bronco Trailer hitch commodity - Is the hitch on the demos the production version? IMG_8388.JPG

Ford Bronco Trailer hitch commodity - Is the hitch on the demos the production version? IMG_7370.JPG

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most likely problem is the trailer tow module availability because I'm not seeing a controller for trailer brakes, just an access in the dash.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unless it is made out of that Boron Steel, it is much wimpier than the Wrangler hitch - at least the JKs. I know the JLs are different, and they could have cut weight.

Based on what I've read - steel is apparently almost as scarce as lumber right now.
Is it because steel doesn't grow on trees?....I'll see myself out.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel that at this point the chance of anything production differing from the recent pre-production we've been seeing is near zero.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm starting to wonder if there's something else I'm not thinking of with the tow kit, it should just be the slab of metal in the back + the wiring, without a trailer brake controller up front. What else might be at play here?

Asking here rather than starting yet another new thread.

Also tagging @ZackDanger in the hopes that he can maybe shed some light here

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm starting to wonder if there's something else I'm not thinking of with the tow kit, it should just be the slab of metal in the back + the wiring, without a trailer brake controller up front. What else might be at play here?

Asking here rather than starting yet another new thread.

Also tagging @ZackDanger in the hopes that he can maybe shed some light here
There’s no trailer brake controller, but there is a module on the wiring diagram that the trailer brake controller plugs directly into. Furthermore, this plug-and-play trailer brake controller states it requires the factory tow package to work…

…I suspect there is indeed an extra module included with the tow package, and that module includes some chip that is constrained.

But that’s, just like, my opinion… man.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There’s no trailer brake controller, but there is a module on the wiring diagram that the trailer brake controller plugs directly into. Furthermore, this plug-and-play trailer brake controller states it requires the factory tow package to work…

…I suspect there is indeed an extra module included with the tow package, and that module includes some chip that is constrained.

Neat! *Sigh*

Wheres that wiring diagram you mentioned, I might go sleuthing about if I get bored after work tonight

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bet if you dig deep enough there's a chip in there that ain't in ready supply.

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I heard Ford does not yet have the tow rating from the government, I believe the feds are being dicks, but it’s just a rumour...

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Neat! *Sigh*

Wheres that wiring diagram you mentioned, I might go sleuthing about if I get bored after work tonight
Follow this quote here to the thread to see the diagrams and discussion:

Here are a couple of drawings of the brake controller wiring. The brake signal does not come from the brake switch like in the old days it is coming from the Body Control Module. So BPP ( Brake Pedal Position ) signal may not be a off/on 12VDC signal. But Ford does include a pigtail.
2.jpg

Bake Plug Under Dash.jpg

Pigtail.jpg

3.jpg
Sponsored