First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How about this idea. Use the windshield mounts for a crossbar hoop above the windshield kinda like a lightbar. Then anchor the kayak at a fixed length balancing from the hood anchor points then have a strap anchoring it to the spare tire. If its one yak then the under 100lbs would easily be supported by the winshield frame which is robust since its part of the roll bar. Your only gear would be straps. Nah nevermind aftermarket cant charge $650 for straps it'd never work:ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

ThunderSquatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch, (ex: RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI 4x4)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Looks like I’m reviving an old thread here. Anyone have any updates/experiences with mounting a kayak on a soft top?

I have seen some companies release racks which mount underneath the soft top, but that requires having the top open while transporting. I often like to fish for bass right before a storm as the barometric pressure is sharply dropping. This means driving home in rain, so I want the top closed.

One option I am considering is having the front of the yak supported by some type of front rack mounted above the windshield (as others have also mentioned). Then, have the rear of the yak supported by a custom made or modified hitch rack. I would probably end up designing my own rear rack for this purpose, then have my buddy weld it up. I don’t like that the existing hitch racks seen in this thread block the rear camera and cost a ridiculous amount of money for what they actually are.

The biggest challenge seems to be the front rack considering I can’t find one on the market yet.

With that said…
The front rack mounting points appear to be just two threaded posts hidden inside each notch (pictures are screenshots from Bronco Nation videos):
Ford Bronco Trailer hitch roof rack solution for soft tops 1636325864452

Ford Bronco Trailer hitch roof rack solution for soft tops 1636325881116

Looks like it may actually be pretty simple to build a front rack using a standard cross bar mounted to the posts with a couple of pieces of steel flat bar bend and drilled accordingly. Then, 3D print some covers to fill the notch and hide the flat bar holding the cross bar.

At least I will have the whole winter to figure this out. With my Ram, I just throw the yak in the bed and strap it down with two elastic cords…. I guess I have been taking that for granted.

kimmnen

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect & '22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m very excited that I found https://www.hitchmount-rack.com website. This is exactly what I was looking for. I’m buying a bronco with a soft top and wanted ideas on how to carry my Hobie Outback when I take it to go fishing. I was looking at under the top roof racks but that would mean I would need to mess with the top when I go and again when I return. Plus it may be raining or cold when I go. This looks to be the perfect solution for me.

Anyone have experience with this with their jeep?

D8E93DC0-0F95-4742-BB6C-65825C548254.jpeg
It finally happened - A new Bronco with a Hitchmount-Rack!
Might be nice if a mount could be added at the windshield for longer kayaks if needed.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It finally happened - A new Bronco with a Hitchmount-Rack!
Might be nice if a mount could be added at the windshield for longer kayaks if needed.
I like the idea, but the downsides as I see them,

1. even with a swing hitch you must unhook two straps, swing the loaded rack just to get at anything in the back

2. For those of us with OBX (I presume the issue) we only have 1 rear tow hook so use of two straps to stabilize is out of the question

OP
OP
TommyBronco

TommyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the idea, but the downsides as I see them,

1. even with a swing hitch you must unhook two straps, swing the loaded rack just to get at anything in the back

2. For those of us with OBX (I presume the issue) we only have 1 rear tow hook so use of two straps to stabilize is out of the question
This is exactly why it won’t work for me. I need access to the truck. I have the cargo area enclosure so I can’t access the cargo any other way. If I went with the swing away hitch (which is very costly) it no longer leans on the tire. Making it look like it would be a problem carrying my heavy Hobie kayak. See pic.

I’ve ordered the hidden racks. One thing I wanted to see is if it will be possible for my local canvas shop to add 4 holes in my soft top that can be zipped or Velcro closed when not in use. Then I can just pop in the attachments through the closed top. The risk is it may leak when it rains. I’ll post it if I end up doing that. For now I will try it with the top down.

86AA2767-C629-448E-85D3-952155939CC1.png

1F27BE15-827E-4B92-9EB3-795FD5FC50CB.png

35560FF1-E7A4-4C5F-B612-0E6706BE2ABA.png

2E3231C8-F869-40A3-8214-07030902E5D1.png

Sponsored

Lars31177

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Lincoln MKC, 2019 Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is exactly why it won’t work for me. I need access to the truck. I have the cargo area enclosure so I can’t access the cargo any other way. If I went with the swing away hitch (which is very costly) it no longer leans on the tire. Making it look like it would be a problem carrying my heavy Hobie kayak. See pic.

I’ve ordered the hidden racks. One thing I wanted to see is if it will be possible for my local canvas shop to add 4 holes in my soft top that can be zipped or Velcro closed when not in use. Then I can just pop in the attachments through the closed top. The risk is it may leak when it rains. I’ll post it if I end up doing that. For now I will try it with the top down.

Ford Bronco Trailer hitch roof rack solution for soft tops 2E3231C8-F869-40A3-8214-07030902E5D1

Ford Bronco Trailer hitch roof rack solution for soft tops 2E3231C8-F869-40A3-8214-07030902E5D1

Did you ever look into the holes in the top?

Lars31177

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Lincoln MKC, 2019 Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
i have not but it would definitely work. Right now I’m finding that i don’t need to.
Like the pic by the way. DO you just set the kayak up there and strap it down or did you pick up the under the top rails?

OP
OP
TommyBronco

TommyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like the pic by the way. DO you just set the kayak up there and strap it down or did you pick up the under the top rails?
Ahh good point. I do go under the rail on one side. So i guess it wouldn’t work. That’s per their directions. I would not trust it solely mounted to the y-arm clipped in.
Sponsored