First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m very excited that I found https://www.hitchmount-rack.com website. This is exactly what I was looking for. I’m buying a bronco with a soft top and wanted ideas on how to carry my Hobie Outback when I take it to go fishing. I was looking at under the top roof racks but that would mean I would need to mess with the top when I go and again when I return. Plus it may be raining or cold when I go. This looks to be the perfect solution for me.

Anyone have experience with this with their jeep?

D8E93DC0-0F95-4742-BB6C-65825C548254.jpeg
Sponsored

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very cool!
I like this idea for my kayaks...

Nice find

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I do like this concept, however it looks like the swing tailgate cannot be used. Plus I have a 14 foot kayak so I would be leery to put something that large up top.

I am getting the MIC with the roof rack, but really want to try a bimini in the summer with a roof top option for my kayaks (I have never owned a convertible vehicle and this is one of my lures to the Bronco) or other gear. Just don't want the wind noise!

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Interesting concept for sure.

I just want to know what wheels those are. I kinda like them.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I dunno….looks kind of spindly and under-engineered to me, even for a 60-or-so pound yak.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have made a hitch mounted tire carrier before. I will say that it better be very beefy if you want to use it above 50mph. Lets just say I built that tire carrier twice lol. Also for larger boats or whatevers I would consider either a hoop off of the windshield frame mounts to support the front or add a front hitch and buy 2 of those.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
hmm...it a bar was added over the windshield you could then slide the boats forward to span over the soft top. May not be able to have it open with boats above the roof but so what? You have your boats, you haven’t contacted your soft top, and the boats aren’t hanging off the back so far that they affect your mall curb departure angle...

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have made a hitch mounted tire carrier before. I will say that it better be very beefy if you want to use it above 50mph. Lets just say I built that tire carrier twice lol. Also for larger boats or whatevers I would consider either a hoop off of the windshield frame mounts to support the front or add a front hitch and buy 2 of those.
You typed faster than me! LOL

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Outback is an 85 lb. dry weight, 13' long boat.
I'm sure you've probably loaded it up more than once and understand the feat it takes to get a heavy SOT up there.
I've had several, Jackson Cuda 12 currently, but have had the Feel Free Lure, Native Slayer 14, and Predator MX. All longer, heavy boats.
The product description says it would handle the weight, and very close to the length of an Outback. Close enough that I would personally probably try it. But I'm a bit of a "That's pretty close to capacity...I think I can make that work" kinda guy.
If you've ever used any hitch-based cargo carriers or the like, you know there is some slop side-to-side and up and down. That sloppiness combined with a 90lb plastic windsail might be enough to make me consider other options like above people said (two of them, having a fab shop make a support bracket for the windshield frame). But If I did do the custom windshield thing... I'd keep a vast majority of the weight and CG on that rear portion.

For me, I'm going with an Exo-skeleton type rack system so I can carry my Cuda and my Wife's Perception SOT both (over 170 lbs of just yak, not including anything else). Both Yakima and Thule have some really cool side-loading (load assist) J bar type attachments that I'm probably going to look at getting.
We have a trailer I built to haul all 9 of them when taking the family and friends.

OP
OP
TommyBronco

TommyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, those fishing yaks are very heavy. Note that the rack attaches to the spare wheel too and pulled snug on it. In addition it has a point on each side that ties to the tow hooks on each side of the bumper. However I may get someone to weld or bolt a support beam on each side for both crossbars. Definitely will need to tie the front of the yak to the hood handles.

Would love for this to be secure and work. It would be very expensive to find out the hard way if it doesn’t.

7FF21851-403B-4107-8F0F-12B678A2D652.jpeg

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, those fishing yaks are very heavy. Note that the rack attaches to the spare wheel too and pulled snug on it. In addition it has a point on each side that ties to the tow hooks on each side of the bumper. However I may get someone to weld or bolt a support beam on each side for both crossbars. Definitely will need to tie the front of the yak to the hood handles.

Would love for this to be secure and work. It would be very expensive to find out the hard way if it doesn’t.

Ford Bronco Trailer hitch roof rack solution for soft tops 7FF21851-403B-4107-8F0F-12B678A2D652
Ahhh. I see. I didn't pay that close attention to it to note all that.
That certainly helps.
Personally, I'd give it a trial run and then see if anything needed to be revised.
Should work!
Looks like a lot of potential unsprung weight from the upright forward...but I'm no engineer and they paid someone who is to design it...
So Yeah, I wouldn't be scared to give it a go and see how it works!

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting concept for sure.

I just want to know what wheels those are. I kinda like them.
I suggest before you find out which wheels those are that you take out your wallet and gentle caress it. Because it's going to be crying afterwards.

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've heard good things about those hitch-mount racks for kayaks. In a pinch it could get really pricey, but you may actually be able to add one of those plus a swing out adapter and still be able to get to the back. Most of the swing out adapters have a max of 250 lbs, so I would assume that they could handle the hitchmount rack plus the kayak itself. Also might be entertaining just to watch that giant kayak swing out from the vehicle. The good news is, if it's on top of a squatched bronco, the odds of you hitting the car next to you with the kayak would be relatively low (unless you happen to be parked next to a lifted super duty or something).

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I suggest before you find out which wheels those are that you take out your wallet and gentle caress it. Because it's going to be crying afterwards.
So are your saying you know? Lol

OP
OP
TommyBronco

TommyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've heard good things about those hitch-mount racks for kayaks. In a pinch it could get really pricey, but you may actually be able to add one of those plus a swing out adapter and still be able to get to the back. Most of the swing out adapters have a max of 250 lbs, so I would assume that they could handle the hitchmount rack plus the kayak itself. Also might be entertaining just to watch that giant kayak swing out from the vehicle. The good news is, if it's on top of a squatched bronco, the odds of you hitting the car next to you with the kayak would be relatively low (unless you happen to be parked next to a lifted super duty or something).
I think it will be easier to just remove the plastic rear window. This would only be bolted on as needed.
Sponsored