WildWillie

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Has anyone installed the wiring for the trailer wiring harness yet? I just received my receiver and the harness, but their is absolutely no instructions on where to begin. I know it isn't a terribly complicated thing to do, but it would have been nice for just a little bit of direction; like where is the best path for wires and such. The receiver hitch install looks very simple, especially with the instructions and will likely take just a few minutes having it on a lift to work on. The wiring however...well Ford didn't include anything. Will be installing this week and will give some feedback, just wondering if anyone might have some advice to get me in the right direction.
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone installed the wiring for the trailer wiring harness yet? I just received my receiver and the harness, but their is absolutely no instructions on where to begin. I know it isn't a terribly complicated thing to do, but it would have been nice for just a little bit of direction; like where is the best path for wires and such. The receiver hitch install looks very simple, especially with the instructions and will likely take just a few minutes having it on a lift to work on. The wiring however...well Ford didn't include anything. Will be installing this week and will give some feedback, just wondering if anyone might have some advice to get me in the right direction.
You just need the flat 4?

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You capable of taking the rear trim panels off and tapping a few wires? Not trying to sound like an arse but needing to know your level of skill. Other thing, you have a 2 door, I will need to see behind the driver side rear cargo area panel to see if the wiring is there like the 4d I just did.

There's a small panel that pops off, need to look down in there and see if this set of 3 connectors is there. If so, we GTG.

Ford Bronco Trailer wiring harness self-installation IMG_2004.JPG

Rough Rider

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
He bought a Base @flip. I would think there is a separate harness for the Base as the Trailer Tow is NOT a production option for Base. It probably wont be there, and he has to do the whole instructional instal.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He bought a Base @flip. I would think there is a separate harness for the Base as the Trailer Tow is NOT a production option for Base. It probably wont be there, and he has to do the whole instructional instal.
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that you can option trailer tow on a .gov/fleet Base.... but I agree with you, I would not keep my hopes up.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right, but the wiring may still be there. Check the under hood fuse box, if these two are there, chances are the wiring is too.
Ford Bronco Trailer wiring harness self-installation fuse box

Sponsored
OP
OP
WildWillie

WildWillie

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
You capable of taking the rear trim panels off and tapping a few wires? Not trying to sound like an arse but needing to know your level of skill. Other thing, you have a 2 door, I will need to see behind the driver side rear cargo area panel to see if the wiring is there like the 4d I just did.

There's a small panel that pops off, need to look down in there and see if this set of 3 connectors is there. If so, we GTG.

IMG_2004.JPG
I have the ability, but not the best. My brother who is with he is a former Ford mechanic with years of experience. We were both just looking for a starting place. He will install and have I no doubt of ability without directions. Was simply looking to some info.

Edit to add, it is currently in his shop on the lift and I'm at work so Im not able to get a pic right now.

Rough Rider

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the ability, but not the best. My brother who is with he is a former Ford mechanic with years of experience. We were both just looking for a starting place. He will install and have I no doubt of ability without directions. Was simply looking to some info.

I linked the install directions above...here again...
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...files/SKFT1J_15A416_AD_Bronco_Trailer_Tow.pdf

If you have the wiring Flip is showing, it will be easier.

OP
OP
WildWillie

WildWillie

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I linked the install directions above...here again...
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...files/SKFT1J_15A416_AD_Bronco_Trailer_Tow.pdf

If you have the wiring Flip is showing, it will be easier.
Thanks for the help and direction. I tried to search for the info, but my computer skills are probably worse than my mechanic skills. With it not being a factory option on the base, it had made me worry a bit about how hard it was going to truly be. I will simply be the "hold the flashlight guy". Will take some pics of progress if it will help others.

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the help and direction. I tried to search for the info, but my computer skills are probably worse than my mechanic skills. With it not being a factory option on the base, it had made me worry a bit about how hard it was going to truly be. I will simply be the "hold the flashlight guy". Will take some pics of progress if it will help others.
This will be time consuming, for sure, but it's simpler than you're probably thinking. I had to do this on our 2010 Edge when the original trailer tow converter module died (because it had been mounted to the undercarriage of the vehicle, exposed to the elements, and not inside the vehicle).

You are basically...
  • Running power from battery to the back of the truck.
  • Mounting the converter box (which takes brake/turn inputs from the taillights and sends those signals to the trailer wire harness/plug)
  • Tapping into the taillight wires to get brake/turn signals to send to the converter box
  • Running the trailer wire harness from the converter box to somewhere under the back of the truck
  • Mounting the trailer wiring connector near the hitch
The only real difficult parts will be pulling trim panels up to run wires and mount the converter box, and opening the insulation on the taillight wires to tap the converter wires into. Just make sure everything is tucked in neatly and won't get pinched.

Hope that helps to see the high level requirements!

OP
OP
WildWillie

WildWillie

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
This will be time consuming, for sure, but it's simpler than you're probably thinking. I had to do this on our 2010 Edge when the original trailer tow converter module died (because it had been mounted to the undercarriage of the vehicle, exposed to the elements, and not inside the vehicle).

You are basically...
  • Running power from battery to the back of the truck.
  • Mounting the converter box (which takes brake/turn inputs from the taillights and sends those signals to the trailer wire harness/plug)
  • Tapping into the taillight wires to get brake/turn signals to send to the converter box
  • Running the trailer wire harness from the converter box to somewhere under the back of the truck
  • Mounting the trailer wiring connector near the hitch
The only real difficult parts will be pulling trim panels up to run wires and mount the converter box, and opening the insulation on the taillight wires to tap the converter wires into. Just make sure everything is tucked in neatly and won't get pinched.

Hope that helps to see the high level requirements!
Thank you. I feel like Ford could have thrown in a piece of paper with a website for directions or something, but I also realize they got bigger fish to fry at the moment. I honestly had no fear I would get an A+ job because of my brothers background, I just know it was a box of wires and a dream there. He likely already knew exactly where to go for the info, but little brothers always try to find some way to help. I honestly hate removing trim though.
Sponsored