AircooledFanatic

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.2 Carrera, Fiesta ST
Hey Guys,

Wanted to share a funny experience and see if anyone had a similar revelation.

My wife was set on the trailhunter trim (will be her vehicle). But as I watched YouTube videos I found one which had the trailhunter in motion. Both the Tacoma trailhunter and 4Runner trailhunter emit a turbo whistle sound from the raised air intake.

While I find it endearing, suffice it to say my wife does not. And that’s why we have a deposit down for a TRD Pro

Jucame63

First Name
Juan Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 4runner Trd Off Road V6
Same engine on TRD Pro.
Same noise.
Typical of turbos

Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 FJ
Figured as much. But the noise isn’t coming from right outside the window
Brings up the question -- anyone know if there's engine sound amplification into the cabin of the 6th gen 4Runner / 4th gen Tacoma? A lot of new vehicles have this now as cabins have gotten better at sound insulation.

Jucame63

First Name
Juan Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 4runner Trd Off Road V6
Brings up the question -- anyone know if there's engine sound amplification into the cabin of the 6th gen 4Runner / 4th gen Tacoma? A lot of new vehicles have this now as cabins have gotten better at sound insulation.
Not sure but I can tell that cabins are not super insulated.
I do not think they put a sound barrier between the engine bay and the cabin (firewall)
However, I have never seen the firewall exposed from the inside.

TheBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 4Runner Trail, 2022 GR86
Seems to me that the noise (at least the way I heard it in Kirk K's YouTube short) is coming directly from that high intake. I don't like the look of that intake or the sound that it makes. But some people may love both.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester and Ascent
No idea for the 4Runner specifically, but I very much think it will be the same as it is on the Tacoma. For the Tacoma, yes there is fake engine noise pumped into the cabin. However, there is also a setting that can be changed via the OBD2 interface to turn it off. This can be done by the dealer or yourself with the appropriate tool.

https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/first-500-miles-with-my-trd-or-premium.3558/#post-53666

Last edited:

Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 FJ
No idea for the 4Runner specifically, but I very much think it will be the same as it is on the Tacoma. For the Tacoma, yes there is fake engine noise pumped into the cabin. However, there is also a setting that can be changed via the OBD2 interface to turn it off. This can be done by the dealer or yourself with the appropriate tool.
Thanks for confirming that there's artificial noise / fake engine noise being heard in the Tacoma. Good news for @AircooledFanatic is that it can be changed via OBD2 interface.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester and Ascent
Thanks for confirming that there's artificial noise / fake engine noise being heard in the Tacoma. Good news for @AircooledFanatic is that it can be changed via OBD2 interface.
If/When I get a Tacoma or 4Runner turning this stuff off is one of the first things I will do. I want my cabin to be a quiet as possible. That is why I would not consider buying an SUV that was not permanently enclosed like a Wrangler or Bronco.

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Fake noise , fake news, next it will be a fake car, you will look out your home window and think you see your new 4Runner.