Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed my TrailRax + PakRax last week and I’m now looking at accessories and I’m sure others are too so let’s share some information.

The Rotopax mounts for the PakRax is an obvious one for those carrying fuel and I plan to fill my PakRax with Rotopax fuel containers when I head for remote places.

Other than Rotopax on the PakRax, what is everyone using on their Trail Rax to mount things like Hi-Lift jacks, shovels, axes, recovery boards, and so on….. Pictures and product links are appreciated!

Adding @TrailRax to the thread since I’m sure they’ve got some great suggestions. They should sell some more mounting accessories directly on their website ;)
Sponsored

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed my TrailRax + PakRax last week and I’m now looking at accessories and I’m sure others are too so let’s share some information.

The Rotopax mounts for the PakRax is an obvious one for those carrying fuel and I plan to fill my PakRax with Rotopax fuel containers when I head for remote places.

Other than Rotopax on the PakRax, what is everyone using on their Trail Rax to mount things like Hi-Lift jacks, shovels, axes, recovery boards, and so on….. Pictures and product links are appreciated!

Adding @TrailRax to the thread since I’m sure they’ve got some great suggestions. They should sell some more mounting accessories directly on their website ;)
We are working on some accessory mounts. Waiting for manufacturing currently… we have seen a big delay and we are working through the issue to make sure this does not happen again. Once it is fixed, we should see smooth sailing to get the accessories out.

Tents+Tread

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco - Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The grip mounts found on amazon or even the locking ones from rhino rack are not a bad idea for the bits on the angle above the window plate. good for securing a shovel, axe etc.

Waterport will mount to the plate, if you have a 2 door, maxtraxx will fit on the window, DMOS sells an incredibly expensive shovel and mount for overlander clout points you could mount that. There are a few storage solutions that could be mounted for watertight exterior storage. They did a good job with the drilling and slots so its pretty much compatible with a lot of solutions.

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So far, I have the obvious 2 Rotopax water tanks on the passenger side Pakrax.
I have a dual row LED light bar mounted perfectly in the cutout of the wind deflector.
Ford Bronco TrailRax Accessories and Mounts 20220904_100003

Above the rear window on the side of the TRMR, I have a fire extinguisher mounted to a quick release (not in pictures, did that recently right before sending car to the beautician).

Also have a 3 gal gas Rotopax on the tailgate with the Hammerbuilt kit, which is irrelevant here, but just offering ideas:
Ford Bronco TrailRax Accessories and Mounts 20220919_072259

I have quick release limb risers from @GearShade that I have mounted to the top of the TRMR.
I like this method much more than using the instructed roof rack mounting points. Gearshade took my original cables back and remade them to account for the increased length. Just awesome to work with.
Ford Bronco TrailRax Accessories and Mounts 20220926_183652
Ford Bronco TrailRax Accessories and Mounts 20220926_183714

Now, the things I'm waiting for from Trailrax:

1) The slide out table that mounts underneath the cross bars through the back. I've come to realize that my rollup/folding table takes up the most room inside of the cabin. Due to the size, it's the first thing that needs to be packed, but also the first thing that needs to be unpacked. This creates quite a disturbance in my methodology of organizing. This was revealed at SEMA and I want it NOW.

2) Grab handles with built in lighting is probably not essential but would be pretty helpful, especially after I install the RTT. Only issue for me is that I don't know where I would route the wiring for the power.

3) This is already available on the Trailrax site, but the shovel/axe carrier seems like a no brainer for extended trips into the jungle. The Pakrax accessories are easy enough to take off so this would be a "when needed" type of deal.

4) Thinking a Waterport pressurized sprayer might be another good option for one side of the railing, and an awning on the other. One of the SEMA vendors had a pretty cool awning on display, the James Baroud Falcon.

5) The most obvious, and probably the most expensive, is the RTT. I've been searching and searching, but the size of my 2 door is really making it difficult because I don't want any overhang, and the ones that fit are not what I'm looking for. I'd want one that has a hard shell so that I can mount a solar panel to it to charge various items.

I'm trying to build an overlander, so your needs may be different, but just wanted to share what I thought were pretty neat.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is the TrailRax extrusion size? Series 10, or Series 20?
Also, what size T-nuts? Do you have any special recommendations?
I'd like an assortment of rings (eyebolts into T-nuts) and upright bolts to attach (and remove) different gear on different occasions. For example, my for plans for mounting recovery boards are, from bottom to top: a 5-inch hammerhead bolt in the crossbeam, anchored by a washer and a locknut or nylon (insert) nut, to keep it in place. Four of those should be adequate to secure a pair (or two) of recovery boards, which would then be secured by a big fender washer and a large wingnut (or maybe a threaded knob).
I think adding these specs (and maybe recommended suppliers) to your site's accessory page would really help your customer base. You could probably select a variety of hardware (say, hammerhead bolts of different lengths and compatible eyebolts) and sell (or include) them as an accessory pack.

Sponsored

Gluestick

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Bronco Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So far, I have the obvious 2 Rotopax water tanks on the passenger side Pakrax.
I have a dual row LED light bar mounted perfectly in the cutout of the wind deflector.

Above the rear window on the side of the TRMR, I have a fire extinguisher mounted to a quick release (not in pictures, did that recently right before sending car to the beautician).

Also have a 3 gal gas Rotopax on the tailgate with the Hammerbuilt kit, which is irrelevant here, but just offering ideas:

I have quick release limb risers from @GearShade that I have mounted to the top of the TRMR.
I like this method much more than using the instructed roof rack mounting points. Gearshade took my original cables back and remade them to account for the increased length. Just awesome to work with.

Now, the things I'm waiting for from Trailrax:

1) The slide out table that mounts underneath the cross bars through the back. I've come to realize that my rollup/folding table takes up the most room inside of the cabin. Due to the size, it's the first thing that needs to be packed, but also the first thing that needs to be unpacked. This creates quite a disturbance in my methodology of organizing. This was revealed at SEMA and I want it NOW.

2) Grab handles with built in lighting is probably not essential but would be pretty helpful, especially after I install the RTT. Only issue for me is that I don't know where I would route the wiring for the power.

3) This is already available on the Trailrax site, but the shovel/axe carrier seems like a no brainer for extended trips into the jungle. The Pakrax accessories are easy enough to take off so this would be a "when needed" type of deal.

4) Thinking a Waterport pressurized sprayer might be another good option for one side of the railing, and an awning on the other. One of the SEMA vendors had a pretty cool awning on display, the James Baroud Falcon.

5) The most obvious, and probably the most expensive, is the RTT. I've been searching and searching, but the size of my 2 door is really making it difficult because I don't want any overhang, and the ones that fit are not what I'm looking for. I'd want one that has a hard shell so that I can mount a solar panel to it to charge various items.

I'm trying to build an overlander, so your needs may be different, but just wanted to share what I thought were pretty neat.
I want to do exactly what you did with the limb risers and Trailrax. Is that the standard bracket in use with just length adjusted cables? Or is that a custom bracket?

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I want to do exactly what you did with the limb risers and Trailrax. Is that the standard bracket in use with just length adjusted cables? Or is that a custom bracket?
It's the same bracket that was included with the limb risers, but mounted upside down onto the forward part of the TRMR. I thought about drililng onto the windfare but then it wouldn't be a quick release, which I use much more often than I thought so I quickly gave that up.

Gluestick

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Bronco Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome. Thank you.

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'd like an assortment of rings (eyebolts into T-nuts) and upright bolts to attach (and remove) different gear on different occasions.
I can't answer the first question, but I recently ordered these T-nuts from Grainger and they fit perfectly.
Also got these eyebolts just in case but not sure where I'm going to put them since I have a RTT now.

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd like an assortment of rings (eyebolts into T-nuts) and upright bolts to attach (and remove) different gear on different occasions. For example, my for plans for mounting recovery boards are, from bottom to top: a 5-inch hammerhead bolt in the crossbeam, anchored by a washer and a locknut or nylon (insert) nut, to keep it in place. Four of those should be adequate to secure a pair (or two) of recovery boards, which would then be secured by a big fender washer and a large wingnut (or maybe a threaded knob).
I think adding these specs (and maybe recommended suppliers) to your site's accessory page would really help your customer base. You could probably select a variety of hardware (say, hammerhead bolts of different lengths and compatible eyebolts) and sell (or include) them as an accessory pack.
Our racks utilize 10 series aluminum extrusions as the crossbars. These extrusions support 1/4-20 hardware. The most common piece of hardware that works well with our rack that you can find at a hardware store is a 1/4-20 carriage bolt. These will slide into the extrusions and will lock into place when tightened down with a nut. You can also source the T-Nuts or Drop In T-Nuts online by searching for "1/4-20 T-Nuts" or "10 Series Aluminum Extrusion T Nuts". The drop in T-Nuts can be a bit pricey, however they will allow you to place a nut into the extrusion without having to remove the crossbar.

Side note, we do not sell this hardware on our website, however it does come with some of our accessories. We do not want to sell this on our website because it would be very expensive and with shipping prices, it would total out to around $15 for just a few nuts and bolt. We would much rather push customers in the direction of online bulk orders. This way you guys can get way more hardware for the same price!

Sponsored

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Our racks utilize 10 series aluminum extrusions as the crossbars. These extrusions support 1/4-20 hardware. The most common piece of hardware that works well with our rack that you can find at a hardware store is a 1/4-20 carriage bolt. These will slide into the extrusions and will lock into place when tightened down with a nut. You can also source the T-Nuts or Drop In T-Nuts online by searching for "1/4-20 T-Nuts" or "10 Series Aluminum Extrusion T Nuts". The drop in T-Nuts can be a bit pricey, however they will allow you to place a nut into the extrusion without having to remove the crossbar.

Side note, we do not sell this hardware on our website, however it does come with some of our accessories. We do not want to sell this on our website because it would be very expensive and with shipping prices, it would total out to around $15 for just a few nuts and bolt. We would much rather push customers in the direction of online bulk orders. This way you guys can get way more hardware for the same price!
Thanks for the feedback.

I think this will be my solution: to install, permanently, 1/4-20 stainless t-nuts in each rail slot (two, each), and lubricate them periodically with light machine oil. These will be supplemented with four M6 permanent M6 hammer-head nuts (in designated crossbars), to accommodate my cargo box which has metric fittings. This way I can install cargo and gear mounts as I need without hardware sticking up, getting caught on car wash brushes, and so on, and remove them for my daily drive. I also don't have to remove my crossbars for each use. I'm borrowing a grinder this weekend to shape the bolt heads (i.e. grind down 2 opposite sides), and will get back to you on the results.
I'm also planning on taking a variety of 1/4-20 carriage bolts, and milling down two opposite sides on each. This will (I hope!) turn them into self-made hammer-head bolts, so I can slip them in and out of the track without removing the cross bars.
I have (four) 4-inch 1/4-20 carriage bolts that I'll treat this way. My plan is to mount them at appropriate spots, and secure them with 1/4-in washers and nuts. Then I'll drill corresponding holes in my (nested) recovery boards and secure those with fender washers and large thumbscrews. If you follow my logic, this should allow me to mount, remove for use, re-mount my boards in a fast & convenient way, then remove the entire apparatus after off-roading and returning to "daily drive."
If this system works out, I'll take some photos and post. Consider a supplemental sheet or pamphlet with TRMR packing outlining cargo and fittings ideas, and listing the roof boxes, kayak & bike carriers, etc. which you've tested out and recommend. I imagine you get some sort of participation when an RTR or bike carrier or something comes via your referral?

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't answer the first question, but I recently ordered these T-nuts from Grainger and they fit perfectly.
Also got these eyebolts just in case but not sure where I'm going to put them since I have a RTT now.
Those T-nuts are zinc-plated. You want stainless.

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Those T-nuts are zinc-plated. You want stainless.
I wanted the black ones. I even got all black hex bolts, nuts, and washers.
As long as they're not next to a heat source, they should be fine.
Zinc plated is also more resistant to oxidation than stainless.

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the feedback.

I think this will be my solution: to install, permanently, 1/4-20 stainless t-nuts in each rail slot (two, each), and lubricate them periodically with light machine oil. These will be supplemented with four M6 permanent M6 hammer-head nuts (in designated crossbars), to accommodate my cargo box which has metric fittings. This way I can install cargo and gear mounts as I need without hardware sticking up, getting caught on car wash brushes, and so on, and remove them for my daily drive. I also don't have to remove my crossbars for each use. I'm borrowing a grinder this weekend to shape the bolt heads (i.e. grind down 2 opposite sides), and will get back to you on the results.
I'm also planning on taking a variety of 1/4-20 carriage bolts, and milling down two opposite sides on each. This will (I hope!) turn them into self-made hammer-head bolts, so I can slip them in and out of the track without removing the cross bars.
I have (four) 4-inch 1/4-20 carriage bolts that I'll treat this way. My plan is to mount them at appropriate spots, and secure them with 1/4-in washers and nuts. Then I'll drill corresponding holes in my (nested) recovery boards and secure those with fender washers and large thumbscrews. If you follow my logic, this should allow me to mount, remove for use, re-mount my boards in a fast & convenient way, then remove the entire apparatus after off-roading and returning to "daily drive."
If this system works out, I'll take some photos and post. Consider a supplemental sheet or pamphlet with TRMR packing outlining cargo and fittings ideas, and listing the roof boxes, kayak & bike carriers, etc. which you've tested out and recommend. I imagine you get some sort of participation when an RTR or bike carrier or something comes via your referral?
Hey!

Here is a link to our accessory guide that is on our site! We have gone through contacting a lot of brands and using them ourselves with a handful of them confirming what aftermarket accessories would fit with our TRMR Rack line!

TRMR ACCESSORY GUIDE

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hey!

Here is a link to our accessory guide that is on our site! We have gone through contacting a lot of brands and using them ourselves with a handful of them confirming what aftermarket accessories would fit with our TRMR Rack line!

TRMR ACCESSORY GUIDE
I was able to install the Kammok Crosswing awning, a set of their vertical brackets and a pair of the Trailrax low profile 90 degree bracket. By far my favorite awning I've ever owned.

I also got my RTT up using the tent quick connects because I needed 1.5 inches of clearance because of those 90 degree brackets.
Sponsored