Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco - Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco TrailRax Modular Roof Rack For Your Bronco 5582DF42-7CA1-4AA3-A841-C846E98E1D16

Ford Bronco TrailRax Modular Roof Rack For Your Bronco 327ACA0D-2EFF-4783-AECB-A24954B2CA06
Installed today in about 4 hours an that was with jacking up instructions causing more issues. Did it all myself and again zero issues but would reccomend two folks to get the rack up top and center.

Awesome rack very light and very very sturdy. INSANE packaging like best I’ve probably ever seen for shipping product..

Noise is minimal on the road. Overall first impressions are fantastic, best option I’ve seen yet on the platform. Will be reviewing it totally after a few months banging around.
Sponsored

Tents+Tread

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You can remove the front and middle panels (4 Door) with the rack on easily. For the ability to remove, you need to remove the front windshield brackets from the Bronco and then unclamp the rear and it should come right off.
That process wouldn’t take more than 10 minutes if anyones wondering. Did it a few times today as I forgot various things during install 😂. If you had a hoist setup like folks get for their tops it would be like 12 nuts to remove and the whole rack would lift off!

Tents+Tread

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Install tips.

2 door peeps: You will have all single arrow clamps. If you watch the video that mentions dual arrows and single arrows it does not apply to us, just the 4dr crowd.

Everyone: The front bracket mounting is taxing to say the least. Get some long thin needle nose pliers for the bottom nuts, and also a 10mm ratchet wrench. You will have to make a few turns before that ratcheting will work and your going to spend some time with those two front mounting areas. I can’t emphasize that enough. You will know what I’m talking about when it comes time for that. I also had a front mounting bracket that was slightly off compared to the other bracket and the T-Nuts were a chore for that bracket.

If you think this is going to be an easy on and off to remove the top, think again. I’ve thought of two different front wind deflector mounting changes that would make this an easier chore and am probably going to have a machinist do the work when I return. More on that at another time.

Use the shipping boxes for a nice soft floor covering when building your rack to avoid scratches. The foam inside is also amazing to help keep scratches off the pieces while you build.

The rest of the install is pretty straight forward and easy. You will need another person to help you plain and simple. There are a few times it needs to go on for fit checks and taken back off again. Hopefully it’s not over a 100 degrees when you do it.

Directions are good, photos weren’t great (reference the video). Also, don’t put the logo plate on the front wind deflector until you’ve got it assembled in the final stage before putting the rack on the Bronco permanently.

Initial driving thoughts: I hit the highway and brought it up over 80 and the wind noise is great for a rack. There wasn’t much of a change from being the bare hard top to the rack which is great.

I had some small creaks and rattles here and there (not the tailgate area as the Hammer Built tailgate reinforcement stopped those) and they have subdued more with the rack. I believe more rigidity from the side accessory mount is to thank for that.

I’m headed out on a 9+ hour drive tomorrow so will do a thorough review after the trip and some off-roading etc.
I did the whole install on my own, can say having two folks would be nice but it’s plenty do-able alone! Those very front nuts can be tight but honestly I think because everything else was more or less plug-play-tighten it stands out.. calling it difficult would be a little wild IMO.. took me like 3 minutes to sort them?

Agree on the wind noise this things QUIET!!

Last edited:

We_Love_Tacos

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition 2Dr Lightning Blue
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I did the whole install on my own, can say having two folks would be nice but it’s plenty do-able alone! Those very front nuts can be tight but honestly I think because everything else was more or less plug-play-tighten it stands out..

Agree on the wind noise this things QUIET!!
How tall are you? Mines lifted so no way I could do it on my own in my younger years unless I was like 6’5” and unfortunate, I’m not! 😂🤣

I think it’s going to be a great rack system. I have faith in TrailRax. Just wish there was a quicker and easier way to do the front bolts for top removal while maintaining rigidity. I do have a few ideas.

Tents+Tread

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How tall are you? Mines lifted so no way I could do it on my own in my younger years unless I was like 6’5” and unfortunate, I’m not! 😂🤣

I think it’s going to be a great rack system. I have faith in TrailRax. Just wish there was a quicker and easier way to do the front bolts for top removal while maintaining rigidity. I do have a few ideas.
I had the same complaints with those bolts the first time I fit a lightbar wish FORD made them bolts a bit thicccer

Sponsored

fronc

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition | 4 Door | Cactus Grey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If you think this is going to be an easy on and off to remove the top, think again.
It's definitely a tight fit to get the nuts onto the posts, but I found it to be a lot easier by loosening the wind deflector as much as possible. I really think using the right set of tools, or just grabbing a ladder and a nearby small child/human with small hands/domesticated raccoon would all help, too.

It's not a quick-release type of product, so if you're frequently removing the rear roof cap, you'll need to budget just a little bit of added time to do the removal, but it'll still be a lot easier after the initial install if you don't need to remove the extrusions and clamps anymore.

There's almost always a balance/tradeoff between speed vs reliability. Here, you've got both rows of your roof (4 door) or your front row (2 door) that can come off in minutes with virtually zero roof rack interference. And once you get the hang of it and the optimal tools for the job, those four nuts on the windshield will probably take less time to take off/put on than the 10 screws holding the roof on in the back.

I think you'll enjoy it quite a bit, and I'm happy to see folks finally getting their hands on them. Let me know if you (or anyone else) has any questions about my experience, as I've had mine for nearly 2 months now.

F-Spot

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, FJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
5582DF42-7CA1-4AA3-A841-C846E98E1D16.jpeg

327ACA0D-2EFF-4783-AECB-A24954B2CA06.jpeg
Installed today in about 4 hours an that was with jacking up instructions causing more issues. Did it all myself and again zero issues but would reccomend two folks to get the rack up top and center.

Awesome rack very light and very very sturdy. INSANE packaging like best I’ve probably ever seen for shipping product..

Noise is minimal on the road. Overall first impressions are fantastic, best option I’ve seen yet on the platform. Will be reviewing it totally after a few months banging around.

Did you use a hoist to lift the hardtop shell to install the Pak Rax brackets, or did you prop up one side at a time just high enough to access the bolts? I will likely have to do the install on my own as well.

fronc

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition | 4 Door | Cactus Grey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Did you use a hoist to lift the hardtop shell to install the Pak Rax brackets, or did you prop up one side at a time just high enough to access the bolts? I will likely have to do the install on my own as well.
Ooof.. If you don't have a hoist or something like the TopLift Pro, then I would really recommend you contact a friend or neighbor to help you lift the roof off and place down softly somewhere to put in the few bolts. I'm sure it can probably be done by just propping it up one side at a time, but with our Roofs being in such short supply and all... I'd hate for you to damage your roof or the body of your truck just because you were excited to install yourself. Be careful!

OP
OP
TrailRax

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ooof.. If you don't have a hoist or something like the TopLift Pro, then I would really recommend you contact a friend or neighbor to help you lift the roof off and place down softly somewhere to put in the few bolts. I'm sure it can probably be done by just propping it up one side at a time, but with our Roofs being in such short supply and all... I'd hate for you to damage your roof or the body of your truck just because you were excited to install yourself. Be careful!
We agree on this. Just get some pizzas and a case of beers and have some buddies over if that is possible. Make it a fun install and time with friends.

Tents+Tread

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Dudes I take the whole hard top off myself as well. I do all your bolts, put your ass up to the back of the bronco and lift either with your arms or simply your head RIGHT at the very back of the hard top.. it will be fairly balanced and you can sorta awkwardly squat to put it down and crawl out 😂

Sponsored
OP
OP
TrailRax

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@TrailRax any definitive update yet on whether the rack will fit the Raptor?
We have been told by Ford dudes it is the same top and the fenders are good to go for Pak Rax.

ironmike

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
We have been told by Ford dudes it is the same top and the fenders are good to go for Pak Rax.
Cool! Today was my build day. Once I know more about my delivery timeline, I’ll be ordering. Saw your rack at OE West/Flagstaff and was sold at that point.

We_Love_Tacos

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition 2Dr Lightning Blue
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I used the Garage Smart hoist to help with those side brackets and it made it easy. I still had help from my son. A second pair of hands is pretty essential unless you are The Hulk. 😂🤣
Sponsored