Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@TrailRax Would it be viable to simply separate the rest of the rack (by removing the bolts attaching the sides to the front extrusion) and leave the front installed?

I get that may not be the recommended uninstall, but any reason it wouldn't work?
Sponsored

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@TrailRax Would it be viable to simply separate the rest of the rack (by removing the bolts attaching the sides to the front extrusion) and leave the front installed?

I get that may not be the recommended uninstall, but any reason it wouldn't work?
You could do that. Cannot promise it will look as cool LOL.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You could do that. Cannot promise it will look as cool LOL.
That's a certainty, for sure, but at least I means I have options. Thanks for the reply.

Elliott35

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmm pics would be greatly appreciated.

Glad I asked before drilling thru..

I have the rack installed (and have some experience installing it..)

Happy to show you sometime if you want to see it as a template or need help with the install.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For the ladder, we will not be designing one of these as it will impede on our Pak Rax. We designed grab handles and our Pak Rax to help assist you to get to the top rack of the vehicle, use those to assist you onto your vehicle.
Just came up with a simple and embarassingly obvious solution: a portable step that attaches to the vehicle wheel. Standing on the step for near cargo, or up onto the wheel itself for hard-to-reach items. People with roof tents would have product-specific ladders, of course. Thule has a pricey one at about $100. Others come cheaper.

Ford Bronco Trailrax Real World Reviews? 1674096427371

Sponsored

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Trailrax: Wouldn't be too complicated to come up with your own product. With the right fittings, it could mount on the PackRax, maybe include/combine attachments for other on-the-trail items: saw, axe, water/fuel containers, eight-burner Viking stove...

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Trailrax: Wouldn't be too complicated to come up with your own product. With the right fittings, it could mount on the PackRax, maybe include/combine attachments for other on-the-trail items: saw, axe, water/fuel containers, eight-burner Viking stove...
Been meaning to ask what kind of stuff others have mounted to the PackRax, beyond Rotopax?

Also, what kinds of cases/bags and mounts have people successfully used on top of the rack? (Ideally less expensive than Pelican and Roam)

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Been meaning to ask what kind of stuff others have mounted to the PackRax, beyond Rotopax?

Also, what kinds of cases/bags and mounts have people successfully used on top of the rack? (Ideally less expensive than Pelican and Roam)
Check their catalog. 10% discount if you order through thebronconation site. Recovery Boards come to mind.
Regarding rooftop cargo: Once I have mine installed (in about a week) I'm thinking an aerodynamic Thule or Yakima cargo box, which I'll use for major treks but remove for my daily drive. I've been checking craigslist, and see people selling them at reasonable prices, but won't buy until my Trailrax is installed and I know I'll have the right fittings and all.

ironmike

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Shovels, axes, high-lift jacks, recovery boards...pretty much the whole laundry list of the smaller things you'd mount on the roof.

SevenFourteen

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS EG
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I recently did the install of my rack, and the dreaded front mount wasn't nearly as bad as I was prepared for. I did, however, invent a trick right before we started that I think saved a ton of potential time and frustration: I used a magnetic pickup tool to position the nut on top of the bolt, then performed my best Operation re-enactment torquing it down.

Yes, there's very little room to tighten there (think Austin Powers k-turning the golf cart in the tunnel), but eliminating the problem of nut placement I think made a massive difference.

Apologies if this info is already out there! If so, I missed it, and. thought it was helpful enough to pass on here.

Sponsored

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Shovels, axes, high-lift jacks, recovery boards...pretty much the whole laundry list of the smaller things you'd mount on the roof.
Any particular mounts for these kinds of items that you have found work well with the PackRax (i.e. without a lot of modification)?

ironmike

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Any particular mounts for these kinds of items that you have found work well with the PackRax (i.e. without a lot of modification)?
Depends upon the gear. Some of the solutions are glorified bungee cords (or semi-stretchable rubber like the wrangler hood tie-downs). And some are specific to the item - for example DMOS makes a mounting attachment for their shovels that works on the PakRax. A little time on Google usually provides some possibilities, plus I think the TrailRax folks could point you in a specific direction if there was a fitment question about a certain piece of gear you wanted to mount.

The PakRax has been around a bit longer in the Jeep community, so you could try searching those forums for mounting solutions as well.

fronc

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition | 4 Door | Cactus Grey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Went to follow you and realized I already am haha

Did you push the wire back through the weather stripping same as in the video (in post #70; 3:20 min marker)?
Yup, exactly!

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay, need some help with regards to compatible general purpose mounting solutions for this rack. Stuff that helps mount and secure a variety of cases of objects to the top of the rack.

In other words, I'm not looking for some specialized mount that only works with a specific brand of case.

What I've been trying to find are metal eyelets that attach to the T-slots and can be used as tie-down points. Everything I've found so far either the nut doesn't fit in the T-slot (including a couple of different T-nuts I've tried) or the bolt portion is too long.

Getting a little tired of dumping money on trying (and failing) to properly mount something other than the 2 brands of cases mentioned by Trailrax.

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Okay, need some help with regards to compatible general purpose mounting solutions for this rack. Stuff that helps mount and secure a variety of cases of objects to the top of the rack.

In other words, I'm not looking for some specialized mount that only works with a specific brand of case.

What I've been trying to find are metal eyelets that attach to the T-slots and can be used as tie-down points. Everything I've found so far either the nut doesn't fit in the T-slot (including a couple of different T-nuts I've tried) or the bolt portion is too long.

Getting a little tired of dumping money on trying (and failing) to properly mount something other than the 2 brands of cases mentioned by Trailrax.
Hi Sean! I hope I can help out here. I will link the products described in this message below. Our rack utilizes 1/4-20 hardware in the T-Slots. When mounting your rack, you would have used some 1/4-20 carriage bolts.

In order to mount some eyelits to use as tie downs, I would recommend using some of these bolts again. They are readily stocked at places like ACE Hardware. You can order them online in bulk as well. I recommend doing this because they are nice to have around when you have a rack that uses them.

You can then also order 1/4-20 eyenuts online too. From here, all you would need to do is slide the carridge bolt into the slot, and thread the eye nut down until it is secure. If you use blue loctite on the threads, it will keep it from rattling loose. This will allow you to use tie downs on the rack (Ratchet Straps, Cam Straps, Etc.)

As for straps, some of the best straps on the market for this application are from Roller Cam.

If you have any more questions please let us know!

Eye Nuts
https://e-rigging.com/products/stai...5i8gXa1wqYDc875BtIlBgB2JTQbGaC-hoCw6EQAvD_BwE

Carriage Bolts
https://www.fastenere.com/14-20-x-1...1FFEKlxxICIoEP2oOpGqXJ82CnEczXoBoCqhQQAvD_BwE

RollerCam Straps
https://www.rollercam.com/
Sponsored