First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The real news for me here is realizing just how common train derailments are in the United States. Even outside of environmentally calamitous ones like the recent accident in East Palestine, there are roughly 2-3 of them a month based on recent data. With these numbers in mind, it surprises me that this is the first one I’ve seen recently that involves Ford.

Source: NPR

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That sucks. If there are Rangers, I would guess some Broncos too since from the same plant and line.

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

With these numbers in mind, it surprises me that this is the first one I’ve seen recently that involves Ford.

It's not... somewhere around here is a thread of one in Northern Missouri or Lower Iowa with a bunch of trashed Broncos lying about.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"there are roughly 2-3 of them a month DAY based on recent data."

There's a TON of derailments all the time, they're just in the news spotlight right now due to Ohio and Norfolk Southern dragging their feet to take care of it. Last year alone we had over 1000 derailments reported in the US. However, a lot of those are just little ones that no one ever hears about, like a single wheel/axle came off the track in the yard or something boring, and was quickly put back on the rails.

This one looks like it was caused by poor decision making by a semi driver.

Ford Bronco Train Derailment in Kentucky with New Ford Vehicles 1679062123890

Sponsored

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST/ 2019 F350 CC DRW 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Fantastic reporting!! How exactly does a train try and avoid the semi? Not like the conductor could steer around the truck.

Screenshot_20230317_102257_Chrome.jpg

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fantastic reporting!! How exactly does a train try and avoid the semi? Not like the conductor could steer around the truck.

Ford Bronco Train Derailment in Kentucky with New Ford Vehicles Screenshot_20230317_102257_Chrome
They should have put "trying to avoid a collision with the truck by applying emergency braking systems" or something a bit more detailed or useful.

Going to have to start installing these bad boys the way the news reports it:
Ford Bronco Train Derailment in Kentucky with New Ford Vehicles 1679063433437

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Even if emergency brake is applied, a train doesn't slow that quickly at all. A freight train may come to a halt almost a mile from where the brake was applied depending on the speed of the train.

Point is, we should all count our blessings if you have your Bronco. I was worried about this and a strike over the holidays, then there's the truck driver shortage and everything else.

It's not a birth, but almost a miracle any of us have a Bronco, so I feel for anyone who's waited and their new rig was a part of this mess. Even if not damaged, it'll slow delivery maybe more than another month.

Sponsored

sklnbnzaz

Badlands
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Train Derailment in Kentucky with New Ford Vehicles 1679063433437
Put on emergency brake. Stopped the train but not the momentum of the cars which then derailed.

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I fail to see why so many folks are blaming the train. Why was there a trailer on the track when a train was coming in? Same thing supposedly happened in the same place a year ago. While I haven't been to the area to see, where I live in Texas, I see so many folks stopping on the tracks and trying to outrun the cross rails. I would think better driving education and people being aware of their surroundings while driving and better signage and even more cross rails would make this spot a lot safer.

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST/ 2019 F350 CC DRW 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Put on emergency brake. Stopped the train but not the momentum of the cars which then derailed.
Could be. It just reads funny. To avoid is to take evasive action in the roadcourse world, as in steering around something.
Sponsored