Sponsored

Transmission cooler to help with towing?

RC2021

Outer Banks
First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does anyone know if there is room for a tranny cooler for the 2.7 to haul a camping trailer over the passes in The Rocky Mountains?
Thx
Sponsored

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Does anyone know if there is room for a tranny cooler for the 2.7 to haul a camping trailer over the passes in The Rocky Mountains?
Thx
+1 for the 2.3L with manual

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thx
Good question. Unlike some cars, many 4x4s have room in front of the radiator for a cooler. Here is a photo of the cooler I'll be installing in my Jeep TJ, to help protect the recently rebuilt auto trans. I'm a big fan of coolers, every since my CJ auto trans was overheating while off-roading up in the Colorado Rockies..

I wonder though, if the new Bronco 10-speed will be the "sealed/filled for life" variety? Without dipstick to check level or easily fill. Not a fan of the sealed/filled for life transmissions, especially for people who use heavy or will own past 100k miles.

Ford Bronco Transmission cooler to help with towing? TransCooler

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good question. Unlike some cars, many 4x4s have room in front of the radiator for a cooler. Here is a photo of the cooler I'll be installing in my Jeep TJ, to help protect the recently rebuilt auto trans. I'm a big fan of coolers, every since my CJ auto trans was overheating while off-roading up in the Colorado Rockies..

I wonder though, if the new Bronco 10-speed will be the "sealed/filled for life" variety? Without dipstick to check level or easily fill. Not a fan of the sealed/filled for life transmissions, especially for people who use heavy or will own past 100k miles.

TransCooler.jpg
I had 2 coolers in my LJ (1 passive cooler up front & 1 electronically/temp controlled mounted up under the tub) and needed both in FL and have since removed the passive one up front living in CO now as I didn't need both and I now have an intercooler up front.

I have the 3.5EB and 10speed in my f150 now and I can't say that I've ever looked for the trans cooler but I know it has it since I have the max towing package. I do know it doesn't have a "dipstick tube" to check trans fluid levels but rather has a bolt you remove from underneath on the trans that has a dipstick attached to it.

Sponsored

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Automatic likely already has one right? My 90s Bronco had one for sure. Not sure why'd they get rid of it.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I had 2 coolers in my LJ (1 passive cooler up front & 1 electronically/temp controlled mounted up under the tub) and needed both in FL and have since removed the passive one up front living in CO now as I didn't need both and I now have an intercooler up front.

I have the 3.5EB and 10speed in my f150 now and I can't say that I've ever looked for the trans cooler but I know it has it since I have the max towing package. I do know it doesn't have a "dipstick tube" to check trans fluid levels but rather has a bolt you remove from underneath on the trans that has a dipstick attached to it.
yup I have the same. given the bronco is at 3500 doubt it will have larger or extended coolers but who knows. worse case is go aftermarket with a larger one fits in the same space.

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Automatic likely already has one right? My 90s Bronco had one for sure. Not sure why'd they get rid of it.
Facetious?
Because most people don't know how to check transmission oil and end up causing damage by trying.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

TJ rebuilt AT swap and cooler - been there!
Ford Bronco Transmission cooler to help with towing? DSC_9827.JPG

Last edited:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

current A10 fluid is replaced at 150k under maintenance plans at least on my F150

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah I was hoping that the "Towing Package" would include a Trans cooler like most Manufacture's do.. but we'll let that dead horse lie.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I even installed a remote trans fluid filter in my jeep to ensure the trans will stay healthy.

installing trans coolers are not difficult to do and I wont go down that road unless I see towing through the Rockies with the Bronco significantly increases the temps above normal. Again, my f150 w/ 10speed even though it has the cooler, when towing up steep grades for long periods my temp is within regular operating temp at all times. My jeep on the other hand without a cooler will have the trans temp increase almost 30 degrees just from an initial climb from 5500 to 6400ā€™ elevation within a couple mile stretch.
Sponsored