Sponsored

Transmission crossmember braces - improve or remove?

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Has anybody found a solution for these rock anchors? Does the 2.3L really not have them? I could put a skid under them but they hang so low that I really want to just cut them out. I need to go study it more but it looks like the braces could be moved up 1"+ at the crossmember and forward of the exhaust they could be bent up several more inches and attach to the frame from the insider rather than the bottom. I remember somebody posting a picture of some really mangled ones last year but I don't recall if they found a solution, other than somebody mentioned putting UHMW in the "valley" on the bottom of them.
Ford Bronco Transmission crossmember braces - improve or remove? PXL_20220519_180434467.MP

Ford Bronco Transmission crossmember braces - improve or remove? PXL_20220519_180358158

Ford Bronco Transmission crossmember braces - improve or remove? PXL_20220516_231449121
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, don't have them on my 2.3, I'm told it's an underpowered slug so I guess it doesn't need the bracing.

I think I'd ditch them, especially if I was going with something like the Metalcloak skid that should add some rigidity.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have the 2.3 and something I've run into is some transmissions skids are being designed to hang low enough to cover them up. I want a skid that covers the full area but is designed for no cross braces.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have the 2.3 and something I've run into is some transmissions skids are being designed to hang low enough to cover them up. I want a skid that covers the full area but is designed for no cross braces.
That would be Metalcloak, LOD, and JRC all are lower. Asfir is designed to fil in-between,

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You really have to wonder what the hell ford was thinking with these things, the exposed bolts on the front LCAs, and the rear shocks.

I'm thinking it was an afterthought. They must have thought with ALL that horsepower in the 2.7 they would have issues with the crossmember twisting. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

......seriously though, it does look like an afterthought.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is exactly what I am about to tackle. Mine are getting hammered.
Ordered some UHMW, 3/8" stainless countersunk cap screws.
Plan is to drill and tap about every 8", install accordingly the 1/2" material. If I find 1/2" isn't quite enough but they seem to help, I will get thicker material and try again.

I'll tune back in once done and trial-run, give my thoughts. Goal is to have them installed and trial-run on June 4.

Best case scenario is if they were not there (or redesigned to not hang down like a rock magnet) in the first place.

Figured this method is the lowest impact "fix".

If it does not net me what I want, I may entertain cutting and re-fabricating them to alleviate the low spot there.

But then you have control arm brackets, shock mounts hanging down there like "What about me?!"

So far the only damages I see are on these crossmembers, a bit of fuel tank skid scraping, and one scuff on a control arm bracket, one scuff on the front skid. By far these get the brunt of it when your front tires come off whatever it is you are getting over.

Mudlight

Base
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe remove them and purchase a 2.3 crossmember? Hopefully a company makes a 2.3 crossmember skidplate for that area.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The aftermarket has embraced the covering of the braces as most people don't want to cut on a new vehicle. Lucky for me I don't have the braces so I just get hung up on the cross member.

I don't like the design as the V shape leads rock towards the transmission pan. I think a big sheet of uhmw to cover everything is an awesome idea.

OP
OP
VoltageDrop

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is exactly what I am about to tackle. Mine are getting hammered.
Ordered some UHMW, 3/8" stainless countersunk cap screws.
Plan is to drill and tap about every 8", install accordingly the 1/2" material. If I find 1/2" isn't quite enough but they seem to help, I will get thicker material and try again.

I'll tune back in once done and trial-run, give my thoughts. Goal is to have them installed and trial-run on June 4.

Best case scenario is if they were not there (or redesigned to not hang down like a rock magnet) in the first place.

Figured this method is the lowest impact "fix".

If it does not net me what I want, I may entertain cutting and re-fabricating them to alleviate the low spot there.

But then you have control arm brackets, shock mounts hanging down there like "What about me?!"

So far the only damages I see are on these crossmembers, a bit of fuel tank skid scraping, and one scuff on a control arm bracket, one scuff on the front skid. By far these get the brunt of it when your front tires come off whatever it is you are getting over.
Sounds like a plan! The passenger side control arm bracket was protected by the fuel tank but the driver one got pretty hammered in 6 hours of crawling.
Ford Bronco Transmission crossmember braces - improve or remove? PXL_20220516_231605598

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like a plan! The passenger side control arm bracket was protected by the fuel tank but the driver one got pretty hammered in 6 hours of crawling.
Ford Bronco Transmission crossmember braces - improve or remove? PXL_20220516_231605598
Here’s my crossmember brace after the first trip.
it’s been raining and muddy since Saturday, so no updated pic after that one.
After one trip, and no major “drops”, I found this to be concerning.
Ford Bronco Transmission crossmember braces - improve or remove? 98827CB1-F44F-4092-80EF-FC7C6B76788C

OP
OP
VoltageDrop

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here’s my crossmember brace after the first trip.
it’s been raining and muddy since Saturday, so no updated pic after that one.
After one trip, and no major “drops”, I found this to be concerning.
Ford Bronco Transmission crossmember braces - improve or remove? 98827CB1-F44F-4092-80EF-FC7C6B76788C
Agreed. I was taking it easy on the throttle and still mangled things. I'll have to plate up my control arm brackets with something like what your Badlands gets from the factory because those things are low! My shock brackets barely got dinged but they're still going to get some skids because it's inevitable.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agreed. I was taking it easy on the throttle and still mangled things. I'll have to plate up my control arm brackets with something like what your Badlands gets from the factory because those things are low! My shock brackets barely got dinged but they're still going to get some skids because it's inevitable.
Wait, you mean those CA brackets are not on all of them?
I Just assumed they were part of the universal rear CA mount, haven’t spent any time dissecting it quite yet.

Edit: I also plan on plating those with UHMW.

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wait, you mean those CA brackets are not on all of them?
I Just assumed they were part of the universal rear CA mount, haven’t spent any time dissecting it quite yet.

I think it is Squatch, BL, WT, FE. has those.

Here is local BD Squatch and it has them.

Ford Bronco Transmission crossmember braces - improve or remove? 20220417_152828

OP
OP
VoltageDrop

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think it is Squatch, BL, WT, FE. has those.

Here is local BD Squatch and it has them.

Ford Bronco Transmission crossmember braces - improve or remove? 20220417_152828
My base sasquatch does not have them.
Sponsored