Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford's own "full" steel bash plate system excludes a transmission skid, but other manufacturers are not only including it, but some are even completely enclosing it. Would this be an unwise modification to do in the long run? I've heard of some owners of other vehicle makes eventually run into issues with their transmission overheating from installing these types of skids. I remember reading somewhere here that Bronco's V6 trans already runs hot. As a side note, I don't think it helps that I'm also doing the transmission cooler relocation to make room for RC's hidden winch mount.
View attachment 477183 View attachment 477184 View attachment 477187 View attachment 477185 View attachment 477191 View attachment 477193 View attachment 477190 View attachment 477194
Sponsored

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
You’ve got a great collection of full skid pictures there! I chose raw aluminum because of vanity, I’m not hardcore, corrosion resistance, they’re much lighter and to your concern they have more heat sink/dissipation qualities. My auto transmission temperatures remain the same but I haven’t moved or modified anything else.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m surprised this didn’t pick up more discussion. I was curious about this myself. Disappointed the manual trans doesn’t have a temp gauge on the cluster like the auto does.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just installed the ASFIR Transmission skid. I debated between this one and Mabett.

Advantages: does not drop down, providing max clearance. Minimal width allows air to flow for cooling and allows rocks to pass by sides. Thick!! Nicely placed reinforcement/debris shield wings. Big air holes below crossover pipe.

Disadvantage: $100 more
ASFIR shipping, packaging, hardware and build quality are top notch. But I've liked my other MBett products too
Ford Bronco Transmission Skid Plate Design Philosophy 20230512_120842
Ford Bronco Transmission Skid Plate Design Philosophy 20230512_120755
Sponsored