Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I was reading another post;

You read that here, where someone made it up. The tranny is rated at 406 lb-ft.

I had a ten speed, when I was 10. I'm a big boy now, if I want to drive a golf cart I'll go golfing.
If this rating is true that really concerns me, the 2.3 with a tune makes 370 Ft-lbs. I see broken transmissions in the future.

If I am looking at the correct info the 10-speed is rated for at least 650 Ft-lbs?

Can anyone expand upon this, because I was 100% sold on the 2.3 with manual because I could tune it later if I want more power but if the tune maxes out the manual and possibly requires a clutch at minimum then I may be going back to the 2.7 with 10-speed...

EDIT: according to this its actually 442 Ft-lbs, which is better, just a kinda lower threshold I would have liked.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...h-low-crawler-gear-revealed-in-document.1114/
Sponsored

Reactions: Tre

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You Sir have discovered why the manual is not offered with the 2.7 that is asked so often around here. ;)

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The motor is only rated to 270 HP/310 Tq on the 2.3 and 310/400 on the 2.7 and weā€™re willing to push those well beyond what the factory intended so why not the transmission? Will the transmission suddenly explode if you cross that 400 torque #? Nobody knows but weā€™re going to find out! The 10 speed isnā€™t without its controversy either

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I was reading another post;

If this rating is true that really concerns me, the 2.3 with a tune makes 370 Ft-lbs. I see broken transmissions in the future.

If I am looking at the correct info the 10-speed is rated for at least 650 Ft-lbs?

Can anyone expand upon this, because I was 100% sold on the 2.3 with manual because I could tune it later if I want more power but if the tune maxes out the manual and possibly requires a clutch at minimum then I may be going back to the 2.7 with 10-speed...

EDIT: according to this its actually 442 Ft-lbs, which is better, just a kinda lower threshold I would have liked.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...h-low-crawler-gear-revealed-in-document.1114/
if you go to the source, getrag website, it mentions the 400 lbs torque rating (I would be comfortable going right up against that, thatā€™s what it was designed to handle all day). It also mentions that it can be upgradable for higher torque applications. Iā€™ll dig around and see if I can post a link.

Sponsored

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP

Delasangre

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
https://www.getrag-ford.com/files/theme/downloads/6MTI550_Manual_Inline_Transmission.pdf

Scalable to 800nm which is roughly 600 foot pounds (same as the 10 speed auto FYI).
Iā€™ll be getting the manual, and a tune...

Iā€™ll let you know if I break it.... Iā€™m not too worried.
I think I will be right there with you, I wonder if we will smoke the clutch with a tune. On the VW GTI if you have the manual and do a tune you HAVE to install a better clutch. Curious what the Bronco clutch can take.

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I will be right there with you, I wonder if we will smoke the clutch with a tune. On the VW GTI if you have the manual and do a tune you HAVE to install a better clutch. Curious what the Bronco clutch can take.
Hmm, I ā€œtunedā€ my 4runner (added a supercharger), and didnā€™t have do anything to my clutch... wasnā€™t doing any street racing with it though. I guess time will tell. Iā€™m guessing weā€™ll be ok though.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
https://www.getrag-ford.com/files/theme/downloads/6MTI550_Manual_Inline_Transmission.pdf

Scalable to 800nm which is roughly 600 foot pounds (same as the 10 speed auto FYI).
Iā€™ll be getting the manual, and a tune...

Iā€™ll let you know if I break it.... Iā€™m not too worried.
This is what im planning. Hope i do frag it out in 5 or 6 years ofheavy abuse, so i can sell the 2.3 to a mustang or ranger guy take a junkyard 7.3 and HD 7spd out of a heavy duty truck or whatever that combo comes in and swap em. i wonder if at that time i will be the last big block swap ever?:unsure:

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The motor is only rated to 270 HP/310 Tq on the 2.3 and 310/400 on the 2.7 and weā€™re willing to push those well beyond what the factory intended so why not the transmission? Will the transmission suddenly explode if you cross that 400 torque #? Nobody knows but weā€™re going to find out! The 10 speed isnā€™t without its controversy either
The 2.3 has been pushed much higher than the stats in the Bronco for other applications. The Focus RS was tuned for 345/350 and there was a non production car that pushed it to 395/369.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine#2.3_L

Personally I think Ford undertuned the 2.3 to account for harsh off-road environments. Also probably to keep it to regular fuel. But there's plenty of headroom there.

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
if you go to the source, getrag website, it mentions the 400 lbs torque rating (I would be comfortable going right up against that, thatā€™s what it was designed to handle all day). It also mentions that it can be upgradable for higher torque applications. Iā€™ll dig around and see if I can post a link.
Frankly, if you're looking to push the engine/tranny past 400 ft lbs, you're probably into the realm where you're swapping in aftermarket parts anyway. You're going to want headers, exhaust, and an aftermarket clutch to maximize the power potential and handle all that torque effectively.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Frankly, if you're looking to push the engine/tranny past 400 ft lbs, you're probably into the realm where you're swapping in aftermarket parts anyway. You're going to want headers, exhaust, and an aftermarket clutch to maximize the power potential and handle all that torque effectively.
I think I would be good with this for a while 306 whp/379 wtq with no Mods other than a tune on a Ranger....keeps it right against the transmission torque specs.
Ford Bronco Transmission Torque Capacity BD68C0EC-540E-40BE-A072-9385152F2CE4

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I would be good with this for a while 306 whp/379 wtq with no Mods other than a tune on a Ranger....keeps it right against the transmission torque specs.
Ford Bronco Transmission Torque Capacity BD68C0EC-540E-40BE-A072-9385152F2CE4
That graph looks like death quiver.

I'm actually more concerned about axles and such more than the transmissions once people start adding more power.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That graph looks like death quiver.

I'm actually more concerned about axles and such more than the transmissions once people start adding more power.
how about Cobb? Instant torque axle twister. Iā€™m not too worried at all because I dont beat on my cars.

Ford Bronco Transmission Torque Capacity BDEA09EA-C041-457D-8651-662B3D455390
Sponsored