Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So I’ve been looking at getting a 10’ sit in Kayak, the only issue I’m having is how to transport it. I have a 2 door hard top, no roof rack. My idea was to put foam blocks at either end, tie down the bow to the trail sights and the stern to the tow hitch, then throw a ratchet strap around the center through the doors. Is there any issue with doing that? The other question is with the doors being frameless, would the strap get in the way of the windows closing properly? And is that kind of setup safe for highway speed and long distances?

Now I’m wishing I had gotten the roof rails from the factory since Ford wants more than double to get it through the parts dept. I’ve looked online regarding this, seems like a lot of conflicting information on whether or not it’s safe to transport without a roof rack, hoping some 6G folks have some experience in the matter.
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I’ve been looking at getting a 10’ sit in Kayak, the only issue I’m having is how to transport it. I have a 2 door hard top, no roof rack. My idea was to put foam blocks at either end, tie down the bow to the trail sights and the stern to the tow hitch, then throw a ratchet strap around the center through the doors. Is there any issue with doing that? The other question is with the doors being frameless, would the strap get in the way of the windows closing properly? And is that kind of setup safe for highway speed and long distances?

Now I’m wishing I had gotten the roof rails from the factory since Ford wants more than double to get it through the parts dept. I’ve looked online regarding this, seems like a lot of conflicting information on whether or not it’s safe to transport without a roof rack, hoping some 6G folks have some experience in the matter.
Maybe, but I would be concerned with the strap passing through the doors. I don't think the frameless windows would work well with that set up.

Rough Rider

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
transporting a kayak has been done for a long time on sedan roofs with pool noodles.

dont worry about the frameless doors if the windows are down...I assume if you are kayaking the weather is nice enough for windows down travel....

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

go kayaking with a friend that has a truck lol It can be done i have plenty of friends that throw theirs on their car strapped down no issues. This was a problem four me with my wifes and my two kids each having their own kayaks four on a bronco? I kept my super duty and I am still hoping they come out with the bronco with a bed

Sponsored

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

13ft on a 4 door. I used pool noodles. Was a bit sketchy but with proper parts be no issue. and yes the other one is hanging out the back... Not a proud moment but it worked for the 4km I had to drive
Ford Bronco Transporting Kayak without a roof rack? 20220326_132130

OP
OP
jasonkosi

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Maybe, but I would be concerned with the strap passing through the doors. I don't think the frameless windows would work well with that set up.
That’s what I was thinking. Maybe if I lift the front panels of the roof and run the strap around them instead?

transporting a kayak has been done for a long time on sedan roofs with pool noodles.

dont worry about the frameless doors if the windows are down...I assume if you are kayaking the weather is nice enough for windows down travel....
I’m planning on some longer road trips that I’d like to take a kayak with me on. I like driving with windows down, but for hundreds of km on the highway I’d want the windows to be up

OP
OP
jasonkosi

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

go kayaking with a friend that has a truck lol It can be done i have plenty of friends that throw theirs on their car strapped down no issues. This was a problem four me with my wifes and my two kids each having their own kayaks four on a bronco? I kept my super duty and I am still hoping they come out with the bronco with a bed
You assume I have friends? :LOL:

OP
OP
jasonkosi

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

13ft on a 4 door. I used pool noodles. Was a bit sketchy but with proper parts be no issue. and yes the other one is hanging out the back... Not a proud moment but it worked for the 4km I had to drive
Ford Bronco Transporting Kayak without a roof rack? 20220326_132130
Did you try closing the windows at all? Or just left them open? From the looks of the angle that the strap is at the windows probably wouldn’t seal correctly, which is what I figured

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you try closing the windows at all? Or just left them open? From the looks of the angle that the strap is at the windows probably wouldn’t seal correctly, which is what I figured
Windows do not seal correctly, you are correct. What might be possible is running them under the roof panels. Didn't try that though

Sponsored

lairgeral

Base
First Name
Denial
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5G
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have these Darby Industries 944 Extend-A-Truck. I can tell you they are very strong.
This marvelous hitch extender doesn’t take much space when folded and comes with a red flag and a receiver hitch. 350 pounds weight capacity. Can be stored flat behind the seat. Steel construction.

Last edited:

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can tie it down from the trail sights and (if equipped), rear hitch.
If no rear hitch, you may have to get inventive and run a strap to your spare or the tow loop.
10' sit-ins are relatively light. Pool noodles underneath it.
Drive a few miles, stop and check it, adjust as necessary.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am in the exact same dilemma. I traded my Silverado Double Cab Truck for the Bronco. I have 2 kayaks and 2 paddle bards to transport- long distance for vacations. I have a 2 door, no roof rack. It seems very difficult and very expensive to get a roof rack- then you need the in between cross bars, then the kayak holders, etc. Probably a 2K expense. My Silverado was way more practical......but I HAD to have the Bronco, you know what I mean LOL. I thought of using the small foldable trailer that is around $600 as an option although I will need to store it when not in use. I have no where to store it it- even folded- have to get a storage unit and they are stupid expensive, going up by the day around where I live.

I wish aftermarket manufacturers would start making roof rack options. More offerings might bring the price down a little? Seems as though there is a huge market for the racks. The connecting points are very logical on the Bronco and if I had tubing and a welder (and knew how to weld LOL) could easily design and build a roof rack for a few hundred dollars.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They do make those small kayak trailers since you have a tow hitch......but that's more $ obviously

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was looking at a hitch mount rack so I could go with the top or topless. Downside is it will make access to the back difficult

Ford Bronco Transporting Kayak without a roof rack? 0E45C785-6EA6-423B-A07F-541076D11473
Sponsored