Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I installed my Twill Trektop three weeks ago, and wanted to offer my opinion so far. The install was pretty simple, I found one error in their instruction sheet while confirming that the contents were complete before installing:

Error.JPG

Challenges -
1) I found weld splatter on the LH bow support. I ended up stripping two screws before seeing the issue. I would pre- assemble the hardware into the frames before mounting them on the truck. It's better to find an issue before you're waist deep.
2) My rear window had a material defect. The soft window has a thin spot that looks like a material supplier defect, not a Bestop manufacturing issue. To be fair, it's hard to see, but over time it's a failure point.
3) Getting the rear side windows in place is difficult on a mild day. The rule of thumb is to do this in the hot sun. I chose to run the vehicle with the heat on high. Patience is the key here, don't allow yourself to get frustrated and rush the final step.
4) Once I completed the install, I had an issue with the RH windshield latch hook getting stuck. The latch design is very good. Release the latch and push into the J hook, pull down gently on the top while pulling the latch back up. The very tip of the RH J hook had casting slag on it requiring a little filing. I tried the adjustment plate first and it didn't offer any help. With the slag filed off. it's working great!

User experience -
Now that everything is sorted (still waiting for @Bestop_Team to send replacement parts,) The top operated as it should, but I do not see this top operating with ease when one person is flipping it back. This top should have a gas spring, at least as an option, so it will require little effort. The Velcro on both sides need to be released before flipping back, but even with that, both sides need to be lifted at the windshield frame or it will get hung up. This is difficult for folks under 6' and\or have strength challenges.

Road noise -
The top is impressive in this area. The insulated hard top and the Trektop Twill have about the same noise level. The factory hard top has a higher pitched whirlwind noise, the Trektop seems to have a lower frequency residual wind noise, to me it's less annoying. One tip though, make sure you mate the Velcro after setting the top back up.

Rear window panels -
The rear window design is great! It's very easy to install and remove the windows. The tabs that go into the lower channel can be tricky, but I found starting at the front and working back gets it done.

Overall Rating -
I give this a solid 7.5 out of 10
Two improvements would have this at 9.5: 1) Add lift assist, even as an option and 2) Add a wire bow at the mid\rear section across the top (side to side) so that the bulk of the top doesn't hang down behind the rear seat in the rearview mirror line of site.

Overall appearance -
It's a "10" Ford should have offered this as a factory 2 door top.

Questions & Answer -

It's very easy from a technical prospective. There are a few steps that I see as inconvenient, but I have yet to actually swap so these are the obvious ones:
1) lower corner pieces that attach behind the interior trim. This could have been designed better with top swapping in mind.​
2) Spacers for the brackets on the top of the roll bar (if you call them that.) They could have been welded metal spacers to the bracket avoiding keeping track of plastic spacers that we know will get lost.​
3) a quick disconnect for the cable instead of the binder bolts (aka sex bolts) Something similar to tailgate cable "eyelet" terminals with a tab retainer is what I envisioned. Either that or a one piece top rail bracket with fewerbolts.​
4) The rear halo bracket could have been designed with keyed pins and two locking points.​

Here are a couple of pics:

Trek.jpg

IMG_9427.JPG
Looking good, and thanks for the extra details!

Picture request(s):
  • Side windows where you say the channel is a bit difficult to fit
  • Velcro straps you say are difficult to tackle solo from the drivers seat
  • Some inside pics of the flip mechanism just to get a feeling for strength of materials used and weight

Full disclosure: I don't even have a VIN yet, but like the trickiest of Dicks (@Tricky Dick ), I intend to get this roof for my 2-door as the trails up here in the mountains are so tight I don't want to pop a window or crack the MIC roof.

Thank you in advance if you are able to post up some more pics!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Brianstrange

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Picture request(s):
  • Side windows where you say the channel is a bit difficult to fit
  • Velcro straps you say are difficult to tackle solo from the drivers seat
  • Some inside pics of the flip mechanism just to get a feeling for strength of materials used and weight
I'll try to get pics this weekend, but I'm never gonna give you up. I also don't want to tell a lie and hurt you. That said:
1) The channel is the one that holds the side windows at the bottom. It's just like an old Bronco or Jeep top, except the plastic pillar is fractionally off of the metal rail. If you start at the pillar, it's easy, start at the rear, it's tough.
2) The Velcro is on the side, above the rear windows. It holts the top flap to the sides. It's not an issue, just proper to lift that first so that it lessens the stress on the stitching holding it together.
3) The 2 door top flips 100% open, the pivot is about the half way mark. When you lift from one side, the other sags down and hangs up at the windshield. My wife is 5'7" and handles it fine. She also wakes up at 5AM for a 1 hour cross fitness class four times a week. It takes a bit of strength to cross your hands over to lift the opposite side first or together. Most people should be able to develop a technique and get it done, I try to leave assumptions out of any review. I do see a situation that someone forces it and bends or breaks something.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought the more expensive twill top for my 2 door rig. Couple of tips I can offer.
1. Rear seat belt flutter in the wind. I use Velcro strap to tie belt around rollbar. Easy to remove Velcro for rear passengers.
2. Kids size D ring belt around folded back top. Prevents wind getting into folds like a parachute.

Iā€™m hoping bestop comes up with a storage bag for loose window sides and rear.
Also hope bestop designs a rear duster cover that uses the soft top side rail.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-now-offered-on-their-site.38548/post-1372342

JohnnyReb68

First Edition
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968,70,82,2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The only problem I have had with mine was driving in a 50-60mph cross wind. It peeled the velcro connection to the side windows wide open. It was like riding in a wind tunnel. That is when it would have been nice to have a zipper option.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Brianstrange

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just got mine in a couple of days ago. I have a question for you though. One of the two boxes that were delivered appears to have been fully cut open through the brown paper tape and then revealed with regular clear packing tape. Did yours also come that way? I'm trying to figure out if it was the factory inspecting what was delivered to them, or if what I received was a return to Bestop that they resent out. It is definitely not UPS retaping a box that popped open as it was very purposefully cut.

OP
OP
Brianstrange

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just got mine in a couple of days ago. I have a question for you though. One of the two boxes that were delivered appears to have been fully cut open through the brown paper tape and then revealed with regular clear packing tape. Did yours also come that way? I'm trying to figure out if it was the factory inspecting what was delivered to them, or if what I received was a return to Bestop that they resent out. It is definitely not UPS retaping a box that popped open as it was very purposefully cut.
Mine was the same way! Do an inventory, it will get you familiar with the parts and confirm you have the required parts.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine was the same way! Do an inventory, it will get you familiar with the parts and confirm you have the required parts.
Much appreciated! That makes me feel a lot better about the whole thing.

OP
OP
Brianstrange

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only problem I have had with mine was driving in a 50-60mph cross wind. It peeled the velcro connection to the side windows wide open. It was like riding in a wind tunnel. That is when it would have been nice to have a zipper option.
I don't understand. Are you talking about the OEM Ford top? The Trektop side Velcro only holds the top flap down. The windows are sealed at the top.

Sponsored

skweaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great. Non-top related question: Which front mud-flaps are you using?

OP
OP
Brianstrange

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

BuckYeah

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Beautiful job! Excellent write up. Thank you very much for sharing. I am also partial to the blue. ;)

jnew71

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Black Daimond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Gatorback without emblems.
Hey - question about the Gatorbacks. When you say without the emblems, do you mean there is nothing on them at all? The reason I ask - I bought front Gatorbacks from Sharptruck that I thought were emblem free and plain. However, having just opened them up, the plate has Gatorback Trucks in black on them. I doubt it'll be noticeable, but curious.

BigSteveO

Badlands
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought the more expensive twill top for my 2 door rig. Couple of tips I can offer.
1. Rear seat belt flutter in the wind. I use Velcro strap to tie belt around rollbar. Easy to remove Velcro for rear passengers.
2. Kids size D ring belt around folded back top. Prevents wind getting into folds like a parachute.

Iā€™m hoping bestop comes up with a storage bag for loose window sides and rear.
Also hope bestop designs a rear duster cover that uses the soft top side rail.
Mabett had storage bags but they are unviable for some reason, worth keeping an eye on them for the future.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Y575X3G?ref=myi_title_dp
Sponsored