Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Friend of mine was considering a Jeep Wrangler until he read some recent Consumer Reports reviews. Of course the Jeep dealer just pooh-poohed the CR review saying that the Jeep is misunderstood. I wasn't sure what he was referring to until I saw this little beauty this morning. I guess "misunderstood" is a relative term, but to CR it means quality. Ooops....
Ford Bronco Troubles in Jeepville? 1615471863235
Sponsored

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just drove a brand new Rubicon for the first time on Saturday. Told the salesman that I could not handle the constant steering and my fiancƩ said she thought the TRD Pro drove easier and more comfortably ... his response was "yeah these don't drive as well but the resale value is better."

Fold

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Kia EV6, Mach E, Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had an 08 JK until a couple weeks ago for this very reason. It appeared clean with very low miles (43K) when I bought it. After the fourth major repair estimate, I decided to unload.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My dad just read an article saying the Gladiator is actually one of the higher rated midsize trucks.

If CR scared your friend away from the Wrangler, then he didn't want a Wrangler. I predict CR will pan the Bronco as well - though maybe not as badly. They don't get the valuation of off-road capability, and rate them as if they were a similarly priced luxury SUV.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Without checking myself, is CR ever favorable to any manufacturer that's not Japanese? At least that's how I remember it over the past 10-15 years.

I don't think Jeep deserves an excellent quality score, but CR's reputation is far from golden in my book.

Edit: Ditto Dads_bronze_bronco.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I had an 08 JK until a couple weeks ago for this very reason. It appeared clean with very low miles (43K) when I bought it. After the fourth major repair estimate, I decided to unload.
Just curious - what were your major repairs?

Killed By Death

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Friend of mine was considering a Jeep Wrangler until he read some recent Consumer Reports reviews. Of course the Jeep dealer just pooh-poohed the CR review saying that the Jeep is misunderstood. I wasn't sure what he was referring to until I saw this little beauty this morning. I guess "misunderstood" is a relative term, but to CR it means quality. Ooops....
Ford Bronco Troubles in Jeepville? 1615471863235
Sounds about right! Mine was a poorly engineered heaping pile of $hit. They brag about SFA but after all these years can't get the front end geometry right. Steering dampener replaced twice. Once with an after market part for which I was reimbursed by jeep. Missing rusty welds / buggy electronics / stop-start battery inaccessible (hidden under main battery and fuse boxes). Rattles and ill fitting top. Second worst vehicle I ever owned. SOLD after one year, never going back šŸ¤¬

OP
OP
Coldsmoke

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dad just read an article saying the Gladiator is actually one of the higher rated midsize trucks.

If CR scared your friend away from the Wrangler, then he didn't want a Wrangler. I predict CR will pan the Bronco as well - though maybe not as badly. They don't get the valuation of off-road capability, and rate them as if they were a similarly priced luxury SUV.
Look, don't get me wrong, I am not attacking or defending Jeep Wranglers. I've had a couple of Jeeps over the years...had some issues, but what vehicle doesn't. Even so, I am just passing along what I read and I don't think CR's criticism is related to it being compared to "similarly priced luxury SUV's". Their comments appear to focus on reliability & dependability. You kind of need that in a off road vehicle too.

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh damn thatā€™s low. šŸ˜³

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and a Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Yeah, CR evaluates cars like they do appliances. They set one standard and apply it to all vehicles.

If your car is an appliance to you and nothing more, CR reviews may be useful. If you have any passion for vehicles of any kind, CR is a waste of time.

And don't get me started on how they use a survey of only their subscribers who bother to respond in order to calculate their reliability score. Any first semester statistics student can tell you how biased that sample set is.

That being said, Chrysler has always had lower than average quality and has for decades.

Deleted member 3063

not meaning to discount your post but it's pretty much common knowledge.

CR, JD Power and now Money Wise says "While the 2020 Wrangler may be the most sophisticated Jeep released so far, letā€™s be honest: That isnā€™t saying much. Make sure you take it for a test drive first".

Hardly all of the opinions out there but in the Money Wise article Jeep did beat (better than) the Colorado and Camaro so all is not lost. :p
https://moneywise.com/a/cars-you-should-avoid-in-2020

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Without checking myself, is CR ever favorable to any manufacturer that's not Japanese? At least that's how I remember it over the past 10-15 years.

I don't think Jeep deserves an excellent quality score, but CR's reputation is far from golden in my book.

Edit: Ditto Dads_bronze_bronco.
German
Sponsored