Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

every individual has their own experiences that can range from really good to really bad, but If CR uses a large pool for their data, it’s a problem.
Sponsored

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

yeah - the difference is do you want to drive a Lexus or Acura or something that is fun like the Jeep or Bronco ? Life is too short. Anything can be engineered to be reliable, but the trade-off is design, style, and personality.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Could it be both? What if we had a name for that... You know how CR uses graphs in a lot of their rankings, maybe we can just use the term Axis, if it's available ;)

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and a Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
every individual has their own experiences that can range from really good to really bad, but If CR uses a large pool for their data, it’s a problem.
They need more than a large pool of people. They need a diverse pool of people.

You can have tons of people in dealership service department waiting rooms and get their opinion. But if that's the only group you poll, I bet the results will be biased.

Sponsored

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

All I can figure is that Jeep took a steep decline after my 2017 Sahara, as most of the things I have read on Jeeps do not apply to my Jeep. I knew at that time they were prepping for a model reset, and I knew I did not want the 'new' model. So I think I made the right choice. [They stopped offering the Sahara as a 2-door after my model year.]
Having said that, I think Jeep has always felt that Jeep buyers will always buy Jeep. But look at how many of us are planning to jump ship. I've had good luck with my Jeep, but probably wouldn't trade it in on a new model.
My first attraction to Jeep was with the CJ's. That attraction has been on a decades-long descent since then.

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They need more than a large pool of people. They need a diverse pool of people.

You can have tons of people in dealership service department waiting rooms and get their opinion. But if that's the only group you poll, I bet the results will be biased.
Yes, Even though I think it’s probably not the case, It’s an even playing field if the other vehicles are graded in the same manner. Now it is possible that there are unfair parameters that are biased against an off-road vehicle.

Fold

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Kia EV6, Mach E, Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious - what were your major repairs?
It's a bit of a shame, because it was a ton of fun to drive, and I really liked having the top off over the summer! Over the course of 18-months: Gas tank, head gasket, and water pump were the ones I actually paid for. I decided to call it quits with a couple $1200 estimate for brakes, ball joints, and battery. While some of this is normal wear and tear, it was not without other issues. There was a super pleasant transmission quirk where it would pop out of 2nd gear and then grind when popped back in. The dealership called this a known issue of the transmission that was not worth the time and money to investigate further. There were also rust issues on the underbody that would have presented yet another money pit. I traded for a Mini Hardtop JCW, which will ultimately replace our Focus ST when the Bronco comes.

Last edited:

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My 2014 Wrangler is at the dealer right now... if their estimate is correct it will push me over $5,000 in repairs/maintenance in the last 4 months.

Can't wait for the Bronco to arrive.
Maybe you should have changed the oil? 😂 Seriously though...ouch! I’m glad our new Broncos will never have any problems. 🤨

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
My dad just read an article saying the Gladiator is actually one of the higher rated midsize trucks.

If CR scared your friend away from the Wrangler, then he didn't want a Wrangler. I predict CR will pan the Bronco as well - though maybe not as badly. They don't get the valuation of off-road capability, and rate them as if they were a similarly priced luxury SUV.
This, CR compares every SUV to the fluffiest crossover on the market. They compare vehicles that are not being cross-shopped.

If the Wrangler is a supposed gas guzzler it’s only because it’s being compared to a Kia Niro.

Expect the exact same criticism of the Bronco from this publication. With that said, yes reliability is a nightmare at Jeep as it has been for the past 40 years.

Sponsored

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
Jeeps have been getting shit on the decades now for reliablity and comfort.

Buyers don't give a shit what CR has to say about them. They sell like hotcakes anyways.

Most jeeps and let's be honest eventually broncos sell because people want to but a life style brand more than they want to to actually live one and they'll pay and upcharge for an inferior vehicle to have that experience.

OJ_Loose

Badlands
First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know I have posted about this recently but I spent a lot of time last month driving a new Rubicon that was Hemi swapped my Americas Most Wanted. Obviously the Hemi adds to the price but I still couldn't believe how poorly it drove for how expensive it was.

I never thought I would get back in my lifted Ranger and think "ahh this is comfortable"

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and a Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes, Even though I think it’s probably not the case, It’s an even playing field if the other vehicles are graded in the same manner. Now it is possible that there are unfair parameters that are biased against an off-road vehicle.
I read an article several years back. And I'd never be able to find it today.

But what they said is that there is definite psychology behind people giving biased answers. For brands that have a history of less reliability, people are far more critical of every little thing. And for brands that have a reputation for more reliability, people are reluctant to give a negative review because they don't want their one experience to tarnish the brand image. So the answers people give on the survey are inherently skewed.

As a result, most of those surveys are suspect at best. At worst, they are entirely worthless.

The only thing that would have any value at all is data we can't get access to. Actual hard repair data from the dealer service departments. How many people have to bring their cars in for repair and how often? How many warranty claims are made?

But even that can be misleading. How many people "just live with" problems in their "high quality" car? How many people take their "low quality" car in for every little problem?

But even if you throw all of that away, every single model of car that is mass produced has good and bad cars roll off the same assembly line. The best quality car can have bad parts that made it through quality checks and you have major problems. The worst brand out there does produce at least a few trouble free cars.

No matter what, it's a crap shoot.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a 2018 JL Rubicon. 17,500 miles. Zero issues. Nothing but regular maintenance.

Steering is vague but not dangerous. No death wobble.

Fun and capable. I am keeping it even after I get the Bronco.

Dramatic improvement over previous generations. This is not Range Rover or Alfa Romeo quality.

I am not a brand loyalist either.

djbuff303

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '07 BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah, CR evaluates cars like they do appliances. They set one standard and apply it to all vehicles.

If your car is an appliance to you and nothing more, CR reviews may be useful. If you have any passion for vehicles of any kind, CR is a waste of time.

And don't get me started on how they use a survey of only their subscribers who bother to respond in order to calculate their reliability score. Any first semester statistics student can tell you how biased that sample set is.

That being said, Chrysler has always had lower than average quality and has for decades.
This. Very true. CR brings a very different mindset to car reviews and despite any claims to the contrary - they ARE biased (everyone has a bias - they just like to think that they don't). I agree, cars are appliances to them. They are not enthusiasts - and lets face it - if you're a member of this group, you probably are.

And I could not have said it better w/respect to their reliability ratings... it's a self-licking ice cream cone. CR subscribers (some) - many of whom have the same biases that CR has - provide the reviews. Not to mention the likelihood that people are more likely to fill out a survey if they have something to complain about than they are if everything is OK.

Many grains of salt needed with CR. But hey, if you need a new dishwasher... go for it!
Sponsored