Sponsored

Tube Doors - Ford Performance factory version vs aftermarket?

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Big question for me is the supply and how long Ford will be able to deliver these with the vehicles before they run out. Sure don't want to order them and have them delay delivery. I imagine it will take a year or so for aftermarket versions to be available regardless of the price tag.
Sponsored

SamR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
You might see some nicer or better looking options from the aftermarket, but the Ford ones do have one big benefit. Ford said they would be crash tested and meet safety regs.
Yep which is exactly why I'm not considering any other tube doors. $850 for OEM quality isn't bad either. I don't want to put cheap crap on my new Bronco.

BroncoFanBoy

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1) People trust aftermarket with roll-cages, but not to weld steel tubes for doors?
2) Does ford necessarily crash test every accessory? Sounds like an assumption but what do i know
3) please don’t equip tube doors with your dog if you are unsure how to keep it inside.

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
1) People trust aftermarket with roll-cages, but not to weld steel tubes for doors?
2) Does ford necessarily crash test every accessory? Sounds like an assumption but what do i know
3) please don’t equip tube doors with your dog if you are unsure how to keep it inside.
1. I think people probably trust quality roll cages, hopefully non one is counting on cheap Chinese roll cages for their safety though.

2. It was in a video recently. The tube doors were crash tested. Supposedly it's why the 'donut' doors will be unavailable. They didn't pass.

3. Agree. I always crate if I'm driving with the dog, which isn't often.

VegasKoop

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've never owned tube doors before...are they easy to steal? And on that note, do we know anything about the perimeter alarm yet?

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I can find a pair like my jeep I’ll go that route. I didn't like the ford trail doors in person.

6658C06C-D385-4511-B2B9-BBBFEAC01918.jpeg

madbaird

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Tube Doors - Ford Performance factory version vs aftermarket? 1604536669756

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Go read some posts on the wrangler forums about tube doors. Fit and finish is all over the place, and even a decent set like Rugged Ridge would be $750 for 4-door.
Yep. Took me 3 sets of tube doors sending back and forth with the company to get my aftermarket tube doors to fit correctly. And I gave up after the last swap and just fixed the issue myself with the door pins being clocked wrong and wrong diameter.

IMG_1536.JPG

Trueblue2296

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands, 2022 F250 Tremor 6.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what’s everyone’s thoughts on these from Ford? Do we think that aftermarket will do it better and cheaper or do we think the Ford brand tube doors will be better quality and integrate to the truck better?

Ford Bronco Tube Doors - Ford Performance factory version vs aftermarket? IMG_1536.JPG
So I saw these on the trail rig Bronco built and got to mess with them a bit. These things are very high quality and very well built. Plus they have been tested and approved for road use through crash ratings and so fourth. I don’t think you’ll be able to find anything quite this good and tested the way Ford has tested them,, on the aftermarket.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I looked into tube doors for a while for my Jeep, but decided they weren't really my thing. I went with soft doors from Bestop because they give me some protection from the elements, can turn into half doors, and can be thrown in the back at a moments notice.

As far as price goes, my soft doors cost about $500 for the fronts and $500 for the rears and maybe $30 for that knock-off TJ mirror I put on there to stay legal. Quality is decent. The textile is identical to standard OEM fabric for the Jeeps because Bestop makes those as well, so that is good, but fit is pretty poor. They keep rain off the seats, but there is a gap at the door sill below the front hinges that cannot be adjusted to eliminate. Water doesn't get in there, but cold air does. Water can also get in at the top corners by running down the weatherstrip until it get's to the break where the uppers and lowers separate and then drips inside. No carpets for me, so no issues. Overall they do their job.

Sorry for the long explanation, but the point is basically Bestop is the OEM supplier for the Jeep tops, so they are the closest (if not only) option to an OEM soft door and the quality is not impressive, but this doesn't appear to be the case with Ford.

A pair of beefy tube doors for $850 from Ford seems awesome. They look like they put a ton of time into making them solid and theres the bonus of them being crash test rated. I don't think you can go wrong with them if that's your thing and I will be impressed if the aftermarket comes out with something of better quality for a comparable price.

Ford Bronco Tube Doors - Ford Performance factory version vs aftermarket? 1604540546894

Sponsored

HobbyPro

Black Diamond
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Telluride
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You’re probably right but they are likely factoring in the R&D and time to crash test them as well. Not saying I like their pricing but I can understand why they would charge more than material cost if they are crash proven.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2-3x on price leaves a lot of room to find quality for much less.

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In biker circles HD stands for hundred dollars because they get you on the accessories

HobbyPro

Black Diamond
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Telluride
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Like I said I disagree with their pricing but I also think it’s absurd when people cite material cost for the manufacturer and wonder why it doesn’t match product cost for the consumer. Yes there needs to be an up charge because they are in business to make money. The Ford up charge is a little excessive.
Sponsored