Sponsored

Tuned 2.3 EcoBoost

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Rather a 2.7 on 93 (or even 87) with no tune and warantee, than tuned 2.3. Hope 2.7 is not only available with higher end trims, but that is what happened to escape recently (2.0 only avail with titanium, where before it was avail as stand alone option for under a grand on SE).

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Hope 2.7 is not only available with higher end trims, but that is what happened to escape recently (2.0 only avail with titanium, where before it was avail as stand alone option for under a grand on SE).
I have strong feelings on Ford doing this to the Bronco. I doubt the 2.7 will be available in the 2-door and I would bet it's locked to the top trim 4 door and no manual trans.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have strong feelings on Ford doing this to the Bronco. I doubt the 2.7 will be available in the 2-door and I would bet it's locked to the top trim 4 door and no manual trans.
I really hope the 2.7 has manual option. This will be a major blow if not.

whether a 2.3eb or 2.7eb, my Bronco will be tuned and it will kick ass. I’m buying with the intention of modifying, just as I did with my Subarus over the last 13 years. There are risks involved but it’s hard to let an extra 50-100 hp and torque just sit there when it’s minimal $ to extract it.

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How does tuning impact the warranty on a new vehicle? The main tuning I've done involved spark plugs because I always run v8 and don't feel the need to do that.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I really hope the 2.7 has manual option. This will be a major blow if not.

whether a 2.3eb or 2.7eb, my Bronco will be tuned and it will kick ass. I’m buying with the intention of modifying, just as I did with my Subarus over the last 13 years. There are risks involved but it’s hard to let an extra 50-100 hp and torque just sit there when it’s minimal $ to extract it.
Tuning is great, but it mainly affect how it performs in boost. Virtually all turbo charged vehicles are pretty gutless out of boost. The 2.3 makes no torque below 3000rpm. I'm worried about how that's going to feel with 35's.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

How does tuning impact the warranty on a new vehicle? The main tuning I've done involved spark plugs because I always run v8 and don't feel the need to do that.
This is purely based on your relationship with your dealer. Good news is, is that if you don't want to worry about it, Ford Performance offers a tune for the Ranger that does not affect warranty. I'm sure they will offer something similar with the Bronco. It bumps it from 270/310 to 320/355

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did you spend 45 minutes indexing your plugs for the extra 4.5 hp like I often do?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is purely based on your relationship with your dealer. Good news is, is that if you don't want to worry about it, Ford Performance offers a tune for the Ranger that does not affect warranty. I'm sure they will offer something similar with the Bronco. It bumps it from 270/310 to 320/355
Not according to the two mechanics that came out to my house during early COVID. They were doing mobile service, replacing Stang airbags all over NJ/NY. They saw I had a pole barn full of modified Fords and we got to talking about mods and warantee. They said even a couple years ago there were some things dealer could do, but now Ford wants the processor for every engine replacement. Could be BS, but they seemed pretty candid overall.

But I've tuned some of my newer stuff. I figure even if I had to buy an engine/trans, it's probably cheaper than a comparable car that's as fast as you get, with some of these tuned eco's.

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

A good buddy of mine recently got an entire longblock through warranty. The car was twin turbo'd....

Now this is an extreme case, but I'm talking more along the lines of a sensor going out or a phaser issue (which is a known issue with the 3.5EB). A good dealer will know a tune doesn't make a sensor go faulty.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A good buddy of mine recently got an entire longblock through warranty. The car was twin turbo'd....

Now this is an extreme case, but I'm talking more along the lines of a sensor going out or a phaser issue (which is a known issue with the 3.5EB). A good dealer will know a tune doesn't make a sensor go faulty.
Not really any good dealers in NJ, so that's kind of out. They can barely fix normal warantee stuff on something not even modded.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
”Gotta pay to Play”

I assume it will go boom eventually. Keep some cash for repairs in case it isn’t covered. But I can’t stay stock on a factory turbo car.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If the Brknco is popular enough, which it will be. Ford will probably offer more performance parts than it does the mustang. Im hoping for revised intake, exhaust, and tune. All from Ford.

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Tuning is great, but it mainly affect how it performs in boost. Virtually all turbo charged vehicles are pretty gutless out of boost. The 2.3 makes no torque below 3000rpm. I'm worried about how that's going to feel with 35's.
What Ford should offer is a twin-scroll turbo to spool up the turbo faster like they do in other ecoboost motors.

The HO 2.3L (332 hp) in the Mustang has a twin-scroll turbo. Even though this unit is bigger than the standard Mustang/Ranger turbo, the torque falls off at 2500 rpm in lieu of the 3000 rpm due to the twin-scroll set-up. A smaller twin-scroll turbo may be even lower rpm.

Throw in port injectors (like the other ecoboosts) to keep those intake valves clean and you have an ideal Bronco motor..
Sponsored