Sponsored

Tunes, Mods, and Smogging

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Been digging into this more. About July 2020, CA bureau of auto repair started failing autos that did not have
a factory matching CVN AND CAL-ID.

Calibration Verification Number (CVN): a number set by OEMs to verify the integrity of the vehicle software
Calibration Identification (Cal-ID): an ID for the software installed on the Electronic Control Unit (ECU)
CVN is a checksum using the programming to create it. No one I can find knows how that checksum is calculated, yet.

Factory Ford tunes with a CARB number may still have a different CVN, but you would hope Ca. smog shops will have these in their list of
approved variances well before the time new broncos will need smog (5 years in jersey with new cars). Only reason I care about this at all,
is Jersey seems to want to follow Ca's lead on auto emissions and testing. Aftermarket tunes though, even with CARB numbers, may get you
a trip to the ref anyway if CVN is different.

A friend just went through emission check in jersey with a HPtuners tune, so Jersey is not immediately flagging the variances yet.
But I have read that some are appearing to get through smog in Ca., only to be sent a letter, sometimes months later to go to a ref.
Not sure if Jersey is doing that yet. Anyway. Unless you start changing things like injectors/mass air meters (even throttle bodies or
sometimes intakes) where you HAVE to run an aftermarket tune, you should be able to go back to stock tune for inspection
I'd guess larger turbos might be OK, but not sure if they might throw DTC's trying to get monitors ready with stock tune.

There is also codes called permanent DTC's, or P-DTC's. These are available to see only in scanners that read mode 10, permanent codes.
My $1100 Autel I got only 2 years ago does not do mode 10 (only up through mode 9). From what I understand, you can have a P-DTC, and
still have all the normal emission monitors ready. Ca. is letting you slide on P-DTC's (if they won't reset), if you have 15 starts, 200 miles and obviously
everything else Ok with emission system. I doubt anyone with only a tune is going to create any of these P-DTC's, but I suspect more modded
broncos may in the future.

Some interesting threads/vids I found along the way.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/ARSC/Newslet...l_ID_and_CVN_Detect_Programming_Modifications
https://forum.hptuners.com/showthre...-on-all-California-cars-now-regulatory-issues
https://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/316874-california-testing-for-oem-software/
Sponsored

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Who needs a tune?

Ford Bronco Tunes, Mods, and Smogging 1616681587956

Eric L

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Edge Sport, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

at least there will be collaboration with trusted partners. I still think there will be some choices available - if not from Ford Performance, then from some well-known tuners. Livernois and Unleashed both have tuned the 2.7TT extensively so maybe they will have an "in"? At the very least Shelby, Roush and Saleen will provide options...if they are interested in tuning the bronco

Sponsored
OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wonder if that means no more FORSCAN either?
I believe that FORscan works on the Mach-E, so it should still work on the Bronco. May take a while for everyone to figure it out though.

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I believe that FORscan works on the Mach-E, so it should still work on the Bronco. May take a while for everyone to figure it out though.
Cool. Maybe they didn't go "crazy" on the other 15 modules, just the PCM.

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Forscan is totally different than aftermarket tuners. Forscan is literally re-coding what's already in any given module. "tuners" are replacing what's in the pcm.

This is the same ole line tho. It won't take long for aftermarket, either companies ford gives the keys to, or others to R&D. They said the same thing about the copperhead ECU in the mustang. pffftttt piece of cake to get into and reflash.

Sponsored

TheObiJuan

Wildtrak
First Name
J.M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Ford Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Been digging into this more. About July 2020, CA bureau of auto repair started failing autos that did not have
a factory matching CVN AND CAL-ID.

Calibration Verification Number (CVN): a number set by OEMs to verify the integrity of the vehicle software
Calibration Identification (Cal-ID): an ID for the software installed on the Electronic Control Unit (ECU)
CVN is a checksum using the programming to create it. No one I can find knows how that checksum is calculated, yet.

Factory Ford tunes with a CARB number may still have a different CVN, but you would hope Ca. smog shops will have these in their list of
approved variances well before the time new broncos will need smog (5 years in jersey with new cars). Only reason I care about this at all,
is Jersey seems to want to follow Ca's lead on auto emissions and testing. Aftermarket tunes though, even with CARB numbers, may get you
a trip to the ref anyway if CVN is different.

A friend just went through emission check in jersey with a HPtuners tune, so Jersey is not immediately flagging the variances yet.
But I have read that some are appearing to get through smog in Ca., only to be sent a letter, sometimes months later to go to a ref.
Not sure if Jersey is doing that yet. Anyway. Unless you start changing things like injectors/mass air meters (even throttle bodies or
sometimes intakes) where you HAVE to run an aftermarket tune, you should be able to go back to stock tune for inspection
I'd guess larger turbos might be OK, but not sure if they might throw DTC's trying to get monitors ready with stock tune.

There is also codes called permanent DTC's, or P-DTC's. These are available to see only in scanners that read mode 10, permanent codes.
My $1100 Autel I got only 2 years ago does not do mode 10 (only up through mode 9). From what I understand, you can have a P-DTC, and
still have all the normal emission monitors ready. Ca. is letting you slide on P-DTC's (if they won't reset), if you have 15 starts, 200 miles and obviously
everything else Ok with emission system. I doubt anyone with only a tune is going to create any of these P-DTC's, but I suspect more modded
broncos may in the future.

Some interesting threads/vids I found along the way.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/ARSC/Newslet...l_ID_and_CVN_Detect_Programming_Modifications
https://forum.hptuners.com/showthre...-on-all-California-cars-now-regulatory-issues
https://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/316874-california-testing-for-oem-software/
What about buying a secondary PCM for the tune and keeping your stock PCM virgin.

Iā€™m in Texas so I donā€™t have any issues, Iā€™ll be tuned and catless, but loads of folks are under forced emissions compliance.

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Forscan is totally different than aftermarket tuners. Forscan is literally re-coding what's already in any given module. "tuners" are replacing what's in the pcm.

This is the same ole line tho. It won't take long for aftermarket, either companies ford gives the keys to, or others to R&D. They said the same thing about the copperhead ECU in the mustang. pffftttt piece of cake to get into and reflash.
Sure, but Ford worried about hacking, may extend that encryption over to the other modules. I doubt Ford is happy people are getting features they didn't pay for.

What about buying a secondary PCM for the tune and keeping your stock PCM virgin.

Iā€™m in Texas so I donā€™t have any issues, Iā€™ll be tuned and catless, but loads of folks are under forced emissions compliance.
There been some talk of that on SVTperformance. Would have to have PATS reprogrammed, and have Ford program VIN into the new PCM. Still doesn't help anyone that did a mod that requires a non CARB approved tune (which is 99% of tunes right now).
Sponsored