Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just love the fact that for the last year and a half I've butt heads with the turbo group. Telling me how great these little turbos are, how they can be tuned to numbers that blew away (old 1990) V8's...

And yet here we are, 2.7 tune may NOT be available because of the trans!

So like I said 18 months ago, I'll say it again... All I want is a V8 😁
I mean the trans being the limiting factor says absolutely nothing about the 2.7L Ecoboost engine. Even without a tune, it already blows the pants off of 1990's V8s.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Razorback

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It should be noted that tuning isn't just to make it a "racecar" (yes that's a palindrome:)). Tuning can be used to increase MPG, prolong engine life, more torque off road, and/or a bit more HP for merging a 5000lb sexy beast with TX traffic...sure some may try to boost HP, gearing, torque, etc to jump from street light to street light, but there's more reasons than just that...

Bled656

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f150 ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Believe it or not, these EcoBoost engines don’t lose much power at higher elevations. The turbos counter the difference in air pressure.
It does make a huge difference, i noticed on my f150 ecoboost, I live in Phoenix Az, and when i go to my beach house and hit the gas feels like another beast!

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I mean the trans being the limiting factor says absolutely nothing about the 2.7L Ecoboost engine. Even without a tune, it already blows the pants off of 1990's V8s.
All I will say is... most current engines blow the pants of a 1990's V8. I think we ALL understand that by now... My comment was about how people last year compared the current turbo to a 1990's V8.

And my secondary comment somewhere in this thread was.. but I'd still take a Ford 351 hooked up to a 3 speed auto + O.D.

Andrew_EOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'd think you could tune it for more power off the line, without boosting the torque numbers much. It's weird that we hear two drastically different opinions. Some people are saying it feels like a 0-60 in 6 seconds, while others say it's sluggish. I wonder if the vehicles themselves are actually driving differently...

Sponsored

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does anyone know if they switched to the 10R60 mid stream, or if that was the transmission all along but they mistakenly were calling it the 10R80 for the first 8 months of launch?

Even though most vehicles spend very little time at their max tq output, seems odd that they wouldn’t build in more safety factor on a vehicle designed to be abused.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very informative!

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am really suprised that Ford chose a transmission that has a max torque rating that close to the engine output, 94% of its rated torque. I just hope that 424lb-ft is underrated and there is a good factor of safety built in. I would never engineer anything to be that close to the max spec...
It's like that on purpose. If people could throw on a tune for less than $1,000 what would be the point of the Warthog. This is planned. It saves them a little money, and keeps the Warthog relevant.

OP
OP
Razorback

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's like that on purpose. If people could throw on a tune for less than $1,000 what would be the point of the Warthog. This is planned. It saves them a little money, and keeps the Warthog relevant.
Hadn't thought of that. Maybe Ford has or hasn't... But certainly an idea.

Sponsored

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F250, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Tuning Eco Boost's to change the way power delivery works without causing issues to the trans will be done by almost every tuner.

I tend to agree after driving a 2.7 dead from a stop compared to the 2.3. We can fix this with different torque limiters and how the boost curve is achieved.

We are excited to bring our knowledge and tuning philosophy over to this platform. I feel you guys will love what we do for you all! (check out https://www.pandamotorworks.com/blogs/news/pandatuned-what-should-it-mean-to-you for more info on our philosophy)

Now if we can get HPtuners or Cobb into a 21 ECU so we can get started. That's the biggest hurdle right now!

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A tune may be needed just to fix the throttle delay, poor throttle response, and early shifts in normal mode for those trucks without Sport mode. The engine should have plenty of power for the street, but it doesn't feel that way in normal mode....maybe Forscan can be used to delete a worthless mode (eco) and add in Sport. Otherwise, a tune may be needed.

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A tune may be needed just to fix the throttle delay, poor throttle response, and early shifts in normal mode for those trucks without Sport mode. The engine should have plenty of power for the street, but it doesn't feel that way in normal mode....maybe Forscan can be used to delete a worthless mode (eco) and add in Sport. Otherwise, a tune may be needed.

you can do a full tune or you could do a piggyback or throttle controller.

all depends on the customers needs on what we could recommend!

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
you can do a full tune or you could do a piggyback or throttle controller.

all depends on the customers needs on what we could recommend!
Yeah, but throttle controllers are nonsense. They’re an illusion to make you feel like you’re going faster. I had one on a Camaro, car felt faster from a stop but still went 0-60 in the same exact time, every single time.

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah, but throttle controllers are nonsense. They’re an illusion to make you feel like you’re going faster. I had one on a Camaro, car felt faster from a stop but still went 0-60 in the same exact time, every single time.
you are 100% correct but if you are just trying to fix a dead pedal and not go faster its a great fit.

Piggyback system which we have done a lot of testing with RaceChip on a few markets now have been great for a increase in power and fixing low end while maintaining a 100% factory warranty and easy install

if you are looking for reliability, drivability, power all in one then a custom tune from us would be the 100% best way to go about it. We always make sure the car is performing to what the customer is looking for (within reason we will not disable safe guards or push past safe limits of a car because you ask us) we also always review the logs to make sure you are getting gas is adequate or the parts were installed 100% correctly not causing a long term issue. These are some of the main reasons why my company does not believe in flash tunes. its the extra step we like going to ensure our customers are enjoying the tune and the car/truck is as well!
Sponsored