Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My experience with multiple turbos on the short-track track prepped Mitsubishi Evolution IX was mainly done by following the advice and findings of Forced Performance Turbos (out of Texas, USA). They were one of the leading companies to get into twin scroll and ball bearing aftermarket turbos for that very potent vehicle.

From working with them the overall answer on blankets was "not unless you're going for over ~1,000 WHP, otherwise worthless". They design, build, repair and warranty their products right here in the good ol' US of A, which is a bit different than a manufacturer only going through retailers and having a lengthy process of warranty repair, Fubiso or Mitsubishi Heavy Industries as examples. BorgWarner makes almost all of Ford's turbos and i'm confident they are built to a price and application. Certainly not outright power, which is a good thing for an OEM application.

Ultimately if your goal is reduced under-hood temps, almost all of your components can take the heat except for a few sensors and electrical components which are shielded enough for OEM applications.

When I converted to using a 4-bar MAP sensor and specific-elevation ECU/ACD tuning based on event location I started burning through MAP sensors like crazy and the options at the time were a turbo blanket or...... Gold foil heat reflective adhesives. After spending about Free-99 on a bunch of this (you'll probably have to buy your product), under-hood temps dropped dramatically and I started getting MAP sensors to last a year or so. They are also effective at putting around anything relating to COP systems to keep those healthy.

At the same time we were developing a caliper-mounted brake ducting system and utilized some of this product there as well and with some thermal sensors we reduced brake temps by upwards of 200 degrees at threshold (Evo's are hard on brakes, you need as much cooling as possible). This tape was necessary to achieve the 200 degree mark, which was almost as substantial of an improvement as the air flow.

Ford Bronco Turbo blanket negatives MMBP-GRB-1224_1_5[1]

https://www.mishimoto.com/gold-refl...MIoomt4pyS7wIVQQd9Ch06Nw6rEAQYASABEgJ60vD_BwE

(I have no affiliation to Mishimoto and just linked their heat foil as it's cost effective and was easy to find, personally I used the actual foil that NASA supplies Boeing, because of a local contact for such things)

So, long story short, make friends with some Boeing engineers who work in thermal materials or fluid dynamics. We had a pretty effective custom diffuser and spoiler built on one of their more serious cars, it was great fun!

But you really don't need a turbo blanket, especially for the Bronco. You'll end up having more problems than you solve using that over directing the heat away from components.
Sponsored