SouthernBronco6g

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Carbon is super sticky and it builds up anywhere inside the combustion chamber and after. If you have carbon build up on the "cold" side of your intake valve you have a separate issue and PFI is not going to solve that.

PFI produces less carbon buildup because it has better atomization of fuel. Modern DI engines are better than past generations because fuel rail pressures are getting much closer to diesel fuel rail pressures (most current GDIs have a low and high pressure fuel pump), and improved injector design leads to better atomization compared to previous generations.
Pretty sure newest generation 2.7 EB uses both DI and port injection? Port injection keeps everything clean?
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

90k on the wife's 2.7 f150, one trip to the dealer for a sensor. Still doesn't burn any oil. Does drip oil, known plastic oil pan issue. Going to keep this truck till 200k miles and nothing so far has made me question that idea.

Omarius

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JCW
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Carbon is super sticky and it builds up anywhere inside the combustion chamber and after. If you have carbon build up on the "cold" side of your intake valve you have a separate issue and PFI is not going to solve that.

PFI produces less carbon buildup because it has better atomization of fuel. Modern DI engines are better than past generations because fuel rail pressures are getting much closer to diesel fuel rail pressures (most current GDIs have a low and high pressure fuel pump), and improved injector design leads to better atomization compared to previous generations.
Oil vapors on modern engines, from the crankcase and valve cover are sent back through the air intake. This essentially injects oil into the intake, and intake valves. In a traditional port injection setup, you wash away the oil, before it cokes on the intake valve. The DI only engines will get gunked up and lose power over time. There may be some valve timing strategies to mitigate this, but I don't think anyone has truly solved the problem outside of also offering port injection.

I really wish the 2.7 was available with a manual, as it's a far newer engine, and likely more reliable than the 2.3. I would gladly take a detuned 2.7, with the exact output of the 2.3, over the 2.3. Maybe ford should have offered that option, if the transmission is torque limited.

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The way I understand it.....I believe the 2.3 is direct injection ( into the cylinder) the 2.7 uses direct and port injection.to prevent the intake valves from coking up. I will be adding a catch can to my 2.7L as soon as available
Sponsored