Turn off TPMS when you air down?

sliwa

Base
First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Can you turn off the TPMS sensor when you air down? My last off road capable vehicle was an 84 Bronco, and TPMS wasn’t a thing.

Advertisement

Shabakuza

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 STi // 2018 F-150
Been wondering the same thing. I hope it just shows the actual pressure values instead of lighting up the dash so I can monitor pressures when off road.

damarble

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Sport Trac
I saw something about real time tpms monitoring, where you can watch your aired down pressure at all times. My buddy has a similar function in his 19 power wagon. He said it went from 50 psi cold all the way up to 72 psi during a long freeway trip.

FourHorses

Wildtrak
First Name
J
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I saw something about real time tpms monitoring, where you can watch your aired down pressure at all times. My buddy has a similar function in his 19 power wagon. He said it went from 50 psi cold all the way up to 72 psi during a long freeway trip.
Assuming it is like other Fords, yes it has a real time monitoring. and it is additionally viewable in the FordPass app.

I believe when the TPMS monitor alert comes on, you get a service light that remains a constant, but also a confirmation the "event" has occurred that you can accept/deny off of your main cluster display.

Megawatt

Black Diamond
First Name
JO
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU on 35’s and 2.5” lift. A misplaced Texan
In my Jeep the TPMS always reads the instantaneous air pressure. When I air down the visual alarm comes in but I can still reads the individual pressures. I leave the display to air pressure when wheeling to let me see if I am get a flat. I also have a AEV pro cal that connects to the OBD port. You can use this to turn off the TPMS but then it reads 0 pressure so I never run it that way.

When I air down to 18 psi the TPMS alarms once, I acknowledge it and continue to read air pressures. Hopefully the Bronco version works similar.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Zack
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler JKU
Clubs

In my Jeep the TPMS always reads the instantaneous air pressure. When I air down the visual alarm comes in but I can still reads the individual pressures. I leave the display to air pressure when wheeling to let me see if I am get a flat. I also have a AEV pro cal that connects to the OBD port. You can use this to turn off the TPMS but then it reads 0 pressure so I never run it that way.

When I air down to 18 psi the TPMS alarms once, I acknowledge it and continue to read air pressures. Hopefully the Bronco version works similar.
I have an aftermarket programmer for my Jeep that allows you to set the TPMS alarm threshold to whatever value you'd like... If similar functionality isn't baked into the user options on the Bronco, my hope is that the aftermarket will eventually find a solution.

wjfawb0

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
I have a low option rubicon without the EVIC (no pressure readings at all), and I use the AEV procal to disable TPMS (diagnostic mode) when running wheels without TPMS sensors. If I have wheels on that have TPMS sensors I leave the system activated. I just get the deflated tire warning the whole time I'm offroad and aired down.

OP
sliwa

sliwa

Base
First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
How about don’t be a dick. Either answer a question if you’re able or keep on scrolling... 🤷‍♂️

Headsong

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Tundra
And from what my mechanic told me, it's NOT a low pressure warning at all. It's about when the tires aren't the same. So if you drop them all down, it shouldn't alert.

Mattwings

Big Bend
First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I was hoping that if you went into any of the off road modes, it would disable the low pressure alert and just monitor. My current Ford does monitor in real time and will warn low pressure, one tire or all tires. I know some people don’t mind warning lights, but I hate when a warning light is on without being able to “fix” the issue. It would definitely make my time aired down less enjoyable.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r
it's a good question. on my wife's lexus, the TPMS warning locks out the dashboard display between the speedo and the tachometer from displaying anything else. it also shutdowns the
abs.

MrJoe

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco, '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Clubs

My 2016 Ford sends an audible and visual that can be ignored. Changes dash color to yellow, but everything still functions. Would be cool to have an offroad feature...

damarble

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Sport Trac
Except sometimes it's not just a light. The system can be very intrusive in modern cars.

Advertisement

Advertisement