Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands; 2022 Maverick Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just checked mine (as I have a loud rattle coming from the back somewhere)

there’s virtually no play in mine. Struts seem secure and barely move.
( for the record, I don’t think my rattle is from the hardtop)
Thanks for checking!
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those of you with your hard tops already, how do you find it easiest to remove the targa top?

I know that may seem like a stupid question, but I have a physical disability that makes this a little more challenging for me. It’s not so much the weight of the targa top, but the awkwardness of it.

Curious if anyone has any tips they can share on how they find it easiest to remove?

Thanks!

Kjbeggs

Outer Banks
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For those of you with your hard tops already, how do you find it easiest to remove the targa top?

I know that may seem like a stupid question, but I have a physical disability that makes this a little more challenging for me. It’s not so much the weight of the targa top, but the awkwardness of it.

Curious if anyone has any tips they can share on how they find it easiest to remove?

Thanks!
I haven’t found an elegant way to do it yet. I’ve tried with my wife and I on each end, having her pass it over to me, at which point I balance it as I step down. And I’ve tried with one of us inside, lifting it as the other moves it off. Neither is particularly graceful.
I’m looking forward to seeing TORs flip back accessory.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven’t found an elegant way to do it yet. I’ve tried with my wife and I on each end, having her pass it over to me, at which point I balance it as I step down. And I’ve tried with one of us inside, lifting it as the other moves it off. Neither is particularly graceful.
I’m looking forward to seeing TORs flip back accessory.
It’s definitely a bit awkward. I find lifting it from inside in the middle gets everything free, and then I realize “now what?”

Hoping someone might have a suggestion that one person can do this easily.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@604Bronco I've put a towel on the passenger side top behind the targa top so as not to scratch the top. Roll passenger window down and keep door open. Then lift in the middle and move top to the passenger side and slightly back on the towel just placed. Then get out and lift the part outside with one hand and the middle inside with the other. I get to a point I can now lift all of it from the outside. For one person it is awkward, but I've found this works best for me. Just remember the towel so nothing gets scratched....

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@604Bronco I've put a towel on the passenger side top behind the targa top so as not to scratch the top. Roll passenger window down and keep door open. Then lift in the middle and move top to the passenger side and slightly back on the towel just placed. Then get out and lift the part outside with one hand and the middle inside with the other. I get to a point I can now lift all of it from the outside. For one person it is awkward, but I've found this works best for me. Just remember the towel so nothing gets scratched....
That’s actually a really good idea - Thank you! I’ll give that a shot next time. I always have a large towel in the garage. Appreciate it!

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Issue:

The noise/rattle is present regardless of whether the glass is open or closed. You can feel the vibration in the glass at the same time as the noise occurs.

View attachment 625460
My Suspicion:

I suspect the ball joint that attaches the rear glass to the strut is loose, causing the glass to rattle over bumps (potholes, expansion joints, railroad tracks). The noise has become more frequent over the past week.

Appreciate any insight you all might have!

I am chasing this same noise. Every significant bump in the road makes it heard, and it appears to be getting worse. I am replacing the hardtop bolts with rockworkx quick remove bolts today. I'm going to go thru all other hardware spots to look for issues. Are you running a roof rack? I have the trailrax installed.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just replaced those six main bolts with the rockworkx, and then went over nearly every bolt back there. The strut mounts to the top of the glass were pretty loose on my passenger side. One of the four phillips screws holding the lower strut mount to the top itself on the drivers side snapped off entirely with barely any pressure at all applied, but I don't think thats contributing to the noise.

might just have to live with it, though I do intend to have TOR give my top a wellness check once the replacement glass with the defroster is available

@Turn Offroad : I assume we have to be pretty darn careful tightening some of these?

Last edited:

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All - I'm trying to diagnose a noise coming from the rear of my top while driving. I'd be grateful if anyone with a top installed could test the amount of play in their rear glass. See video below.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:

Checked top alignment (front to back) and bolt tightness.
Removed all items from the cargo area and uninstalled the tailgate table.
Drove the same stretch of road with the rear glass open and closed.
Sat in the cargo area during test to isolate the origin of the noise.

The Issue:

The noise/rattle is present regardless of whether the glass is open or closed. You can feel the vibration in the glass at the same time as the noise occurs.

View attachment 625460
My Suspicion:

I suspect the ball joint that attaches the rear glass to the strut is loose, causing the glass to rattle over bumps (potholes, expansion joints, railroad tracks). The noise has become more frequent over the past week.

Appreciate any insight you all might have!
I haven’t had that noise yet. But I do get a fair amount of squeaking noise when hitting bumps. Seems like the rubber strip on the bottom of the rear glass is causing it when shaking along the tailgate. I’ve tried cleaning it and putting some oil/lubricant but it doesn’t help. Not sure what to try.

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have
Haven’t tried the towel method on the roll bar/top, but I should. I do something similar to you in that I open the passenger door, window down, lift from the inside, maneuver the top to the side as much as I can and gently set it down, then I put one arm on the outside of the roll bar and keep the other inside, then lift and maneuver it over til most of the targa is on the outside of the roll bar, set it down gently again. Then I get out and lift it a last time, setting it on a flat table with a towel. I do the same to put it back on, take a bit of balance but it’s now maybe 60 seconds and I’m done.

Sponsored

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven’t had that noise yet. But I do get a fair amount of squeaking noise when hitting bumps. Seems like the rubber strip on the bottom of the rear glass is causing it when shaking along the tailgate. I’ve tried cleaning it and putting some oil/lubricant but it doesn’t help. Not sure what to try.
As far as rubber squeaks, I got this for the OEM top for my wife. I haven't taken the time to put it on, but been told it's a magic cure. I believe Ford uses it (which by the price I'm sure only billion dollar companies could afford it...) https://www.amazon.com/s?k=krytox+205g0&crid=2PS4GXSI3GRSS&sprefix=krytox,aps,112&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_6
My squeaking comes and goes - I reported this early on. The thumb bolts seemed to help, but it's still present in some situations/bumps. I have lubricated the seals and that didn't cure it. It's hard to pin point the actual issue - I have a slide-out security drawer full of stuff so it could be partially to do with what's in that, but I don't know for sure.

Regardless, it's still significantly quieter than the soft top!

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine seems to squeak in the mornings when it is cold. I'm in snow country and park outside for reference. After 5-10 minutes with the heater on it seems to stop. The squeaks are in the rear, not around the front targa at all.

H0pelessOpus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands; 2022 Maverick Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am chasing this same noise. Every significant bump in the road makes it heard, and it appears to be getting worse. I am replacing the hardtop bolts with rockworkx quick remove bolts today. I'm going to go thru all other hardware spots to look for issues. Are you running a roof rack? I have the trailrax installed.
No roof rack for me. I'm pretty sure it's the struts/brackets.

Roadbeast

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I also have the strange rattle over small bumps. I bought lube and
I haven’t had that noise yet. But I do get a fair amount of squeaking noise when hitting bumps. Seems like the rubber strip on the bottom of the rear glass is causing it when shaking along the tailgate. I’ve tried cleaning it and putting some oil/lubricant but it doesn’t help. Not sure what to

I also have the strange rattle over small bumps. I bought lube and hit the seals.
Also tighten the hardware. Still trying to track it down.
Sponsored