Sponsored

Two Door 2.3 Automatic Trans Adds Over 600lbs!! WTH?

Ocnorb

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2-door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How does him recommending the 6 cylinder over the 4 for a car the size of the Bronco get him more clicks exactly? Not defending him but it seems to me like bronco6g members have more reason to have a biased opinion than Scotty Kilmer.
It doesn't - it's the title of his videos that are the clickbait. Also, Scotty doesn't seem aware of the fact that the 6-cyl is twin turbo over a single on the 4. Had he known that, he'd tell you not to buy the thing at all for any reason. I'll admit that I'm concerned about this myself, and having seen the photo of the engine bay with the 2.7, all those tubes running everywhere (plus, everything looks plastic...ugh). I'm torn on the engine choice.
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Who is Scotty Kilmer and why should I care about his opinion?
Seriously, never heard of him until today.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A video of his suggested on my youtube feed today was titled, "Why I only buy Toyotas," so I really don't care what he thinks.
Yeah is titles are always the most click baity. But his content ain’t bad. He likes fords. Just not a fan of smaller engines in big trucks. He’s been a mechanic his whole career. His experience with the 4 bangers is they wear out quickly in big vehicles. He doesn’t see the same issues with the 6s.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had a whole thread on that weight chart and I still think it's wrong in one way or another.
but not going to rehash it all............

Sponsored

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

He also stated you don’t want a small engine in a big vehicle like the bronco.
I know you're referencing someone else's comment, but it makes me wonder a few things:

1. Is the Bronco really a "big" vehicle? It's about the same size as the Jeep Wrangler, and as near as I can tell, Jeeps (including the old pre-Chrysler CJs) have always been available with a 4-cylinder engine of some form or another.

2. Given that the size difference between the 2.3 and the 2.7 is about the equivalent of a can of pop, if the 2.3L isn't "big enough" for a "big" vehicle like the Bronco, how can the 2.7L possibly be "big enough"?

3. How are we measuring "big enough" for the engine here? The obvious answer would be displacement, to which I again reference the size difference between the 2.3 and 2.7. But is the 2.7L "big enough" just because it has 2 extra cylinders? If we're going by pure cylinder count, let's slap this bad boy in there and call it done. OK, yes, that's ridiculous. But we're talking about less than a bottle of water worth of difference in displacement to get those two extra cylinders.

4. How big is "big enough" for a "big" vehicle like the Bronco? I don't mean the obvious "It ought to have a V8!" answer. Just, what is the minimum displacement for "big enough", regardless of cylinder count? If the 4-banger were a 2.7L, would it be "big enough"?

secretg

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Nissan Leaf :)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How does him recommending the 6 cylinder over the 4 for a car the size of the Bronco get him more clicks exactly? Not defending him but it seems to me like bronco6g members have more reason to have a biased opinion than Scotty Kilmer.
The video's title is actually "Avoid This New Ford Bronco at All Costs" with a picture of the new 2021 Bronco. Then he proceeds to talk about the 4 cylinder engines he sees in large vehicles and notes that they all wear out quickly because it is a small power plant in a large vehicle for a minute and then talks about other stuff. So with that I can see how he likes the clicks...

I am not a giant fan of Scotty but I do like listening to him and getting his perspective on stuff. :)

gofastguy

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Those who are on the fence in regard to the 2.3 should test drive something with that engine. I'm a Mustang guy and always felt the same until my friend got a 4 banger in his and the engine is quite impressive.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I believe most of those issues were fixed with a block design and the correct (or updated) head gasket. I still think it's way too small an engine for a built bronco, but would be adequate for one on 30's that runs around mostly on flat ground.

A built one is going to be in boost 24/7. No it may not blow up, but it's mileage is going to be worse than a 50 year old one with a 5.0 HO and 4 spd OD auto. Old "lower" HP V-8's, might have been slow, but their economy didn't change nearly as drastic as the ECO's do under higher load.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Big L 65

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
With Scotty video out talking about worn out 2.3 ecoboost in the explorers should be take that chance off roading with them in the Broncos??
Sponsored