Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had a not so good experience with Generals on two different vehicles, two different tire models....same issue with the rubber. on the second year, the rubber got stiff as hell (in my opinion).

Hard to explain, , they wouldn't hydroplane in deeper water , but they wouldn't grip on wet roads either. They would still channel water well , but if there was moisture they quit gripping worth a damn. ....and they got loud as hell for a car tire.
I've never run a MT, but probably would on the Bronco.
Michelins, if available in size, have always done very well for me, but no MT that I'm aware of.
Here's a run down of various MT's that seem OK.

Despite all that being said above, Generals are rated #1 on Tirerack right now in the max off road catagory.
Ford Bronco Type of tires you want 1583034825044

I hear A LOT of good things about Nittos.
Ford Bronco Type of tires you want 1583035593386

...and I see that Pirelli has a MT, I've read a lot of good things about them also.

Ford Bronco Type of tires you want 1583034758417

I've seen the Coopers around as well, good looking tire.
Ford Bronco Type of tires you want 1583035162513

Firestone AT's and BFG AT's I have used have ran well also.
Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not sure. I know performance summer tires for sports cars but damned if I know about 4x4 tires. I have a lot of homework to do lol. I imagine I would end up with a tire that’s ok on the street and for occasional off-road, easy trail and sand use.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I imagine I would end up with a tire that’s ok on the street and for occasional off-road, easy trail and sand use.
That is exactly what I'm going for, mostly flat lands around Dallas, the closest off-road areas are 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours from me so maybe I would get to those a couple of times per year. While I love the look of the aggressive off-road treads or a M/T tread, the reality is I'll spend 95% of the time on paved roads. Which means I want to look for a decent looking A/T All Terrain tread but with good ride quality, comfort, quietness, longevity and gas mileage which are more important for me then just a pure off-road tire.

There are many tire review sites out there, I try to stay away from those that are just referral sales links to Amazon. Here are a few I've found useful.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT
https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/top-5-off-road-tires-for-the-street/
https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/All+Terrain

Please share your favorite review sites for A/T All Terrain tires.

These look like they may have the right mix of aggressive looks but with good ride quality, comfort, quietness, longevity and gas mileage:

Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S
Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT

Grabber A/TX

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
Ford Bronco Type of tires you want Falken-Wildpeak-AT3-Tire

Toyo Open Country A/T2
Ford Bronco Type of tires you want Toyo-Open-Country-AT2-Off-Road-Tire

Nitto Terra Grappler G2
Ford Bronco Type of tires you want 61WJ0VykrvL._AC_SY355_

Nexen Roadian AT Pro RA8

Last edited:

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had to use a stock 250 to retrieve my mower out of the field.

those stock narrow tires left some serious ruts just for the weight of the truck, no spinning.

some 12-13+” wide tires will be needed ASAP just so it doesn’t run up the yard too bad.

for ref, my 06 250 on 37x13.5s doesn’t leave near as much a rut (unless she starts spinning, then she digs deep), and the 82 on 38x15s doesn’t leave any noticeable ruts.

Sponsored

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. I had two sets of BFG AT KO2s prior to Falken. Falken’s are cheaper, have warranty, better in rain and snow, and don't throw rocks down the side of your truck.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No Wranglers yet?
The power utility/electrical contractor i work for runs the Duratracs on all of their trucks. The tire seems to have a good reputation, durable, good off road, decent mileage life.
Last time I price checked them, lets just say GY must be awfully proud of them.
I would definitely get them if I did stuff that was puncture prone, like the trucks at work are, or sharp rocks, etc., they seem VERY durable in that aspect.
But for my own purposes, I'd probably go with something else..... but probably not Generals ever again.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

After the factory Raptor tires wear down I’ll get the KM3’s

DrPerez007

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep TJ; 2015 Dodge Charger (work); 2016 Jeep JKU; 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat; 2019 Jeep JLU
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Some type of All-Terrain (A/T). Presently run the Nitto Ridge Grappler (285/70R17) on my 2016 JKU and very pleased with it now at about 18,000 miles, including two trips to Florida with a stop in Washington DC, and general winter/summer driving here in Wisconsin.

Having said that, TOYO has just introduced the Open Country A/T III. Yes the A/T 3. TOYO has supposedly improved on the “wet performance, handling, tread wear, and off-road capabilities” of the Open County A/T II (2) and the A/T 3 is also now three-peak “Mountain Snowflake“ certified. First couple of reviews on it are good. Looks like my new Ranger rubber will be either the TOYO or the Nitto.

Ford Bronco Type of tires you want CBD6ED23-88CD-4DC3-8C1E-CFA01C82FCFC

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My neighbor’s FJ had KO2s, and his son got stuck in the mud twice. Lockers, KM2s or Duratracs, and a tow strap saved the day.

(Somewhere I posted my FJ Recovery Vehicle decal ...)

Duratracs are quieter and better behaved as a daily all conditions tire.

Sponsored

DrPerez007

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep TJ; 2015 Dodge Charger (work); 2016 Jeep JKU; 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat; 2019 Jeep JLU
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As with all tires on these “lighter” weight vehicles like the Jeeps, and the Bronco likely will be, it is a weight issue for me. Looked at those Goodyears (which I liked) for my JKU at the time, but they were nearly 30 pounds heavier (for 5 tires) than the Nittos. With bumpers, winches, brakes, lifts, wheels, and tires, every additional pound is critical to these vehicles. That’s rolling mass that has to be accounted for. So my JKU makes great use of aluminum and as light of weight accessories as I can get away with.

BTW, I appreciate all of your input in this forum and have noted with respect your comments. Thank you for your insight (and your humor).

DrPerez007

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have no regrets, ChrispyKC. Your contributions have been helpful and have certainly gotten us closer to a resolution of this “Whodunit” type mystery. Reading between the lines, I believe all of the members here should be grateful for what you have given us and what you ”somewhat” haven’t. The good news is, we will eventually see the new Bronco and I, for one, am actually looking forward to still being surprised by the final product (like the interior). Having said that, we’ll still take whatever you got! LOL

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

As with all tires on these “lighter” weight vehicles like the Jeeps, and the Bronco likely will be, it is a weight issue for me. Looked at those Goodyears (which I liked) for my JKU at the time, but they were nearly 30 pounds heavier (for 5 tires) than the Nittos. With bumpers, winches, brakes, lifts, wheels, and tires, every additional pound is critical to these vehicles. That’s rolling mass that has to be accounted for. So my JKU makes great use of aluminum and as light of weight accessories as I can get away with.
So have you had both Duratracs and Nittos? Opinions?

AutoEdits did the Patagonias to reduce weight and seems to like them.
Sponsored