Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket and rely on single source for parts of any kind, especially when those eggs and parts are mainly being sourced and coming from Communist China.
"Automakers and their suppliers, though, point to the chipmakers prioritizing consumer electronics because margins are fatter on those devices and demand for them boomed as more people stayed home during virus-related shutdowns. "

Seems like a pretty basic market driven response from the chipmakers. Automakers, on the other hand, are asking for government directed reallocation of resources.
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LOL, awesome article, at least the first part I read!

I know the Preppers like older diesels because they are EMP proof and they run on about anything you can feed them.
Never even considered EMITTING RF, or the lack thereof.
I saw a documentary on the NRAO and the employees had old government Checker Motors Marathons they would take into town....

Ford Bronco U.S. Automakers Plead for Government Help in Growing Chip Crisis 1613084629911
Ford Bronco U.S. Automakers Plead for Government Help in Growing Chip Crisis 1613084687325

Last edited:

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket and rely on single source for parts of any kind, especially when those eggs and parts are mainly being sourced and coming from Communist China.
I donā€™t think itā€™s a China supply issue. They may be buying a lot more than they used to?

last info I could find from late last year-
Less than 3% of global sales of automotive semiconductors come from Chinese companies. European firms make up about 37%, American ones around 30%, and Japanese ones around about 25%. Only one of the 20 top global automotive semiconductor companies is Chinese, and even that one is a spin off from NXP that was acquired by a Chinese company, its headquarters is still in the Netherlands.

Deleted member 3063

Too bad they were forced into buying Chinese chips. It's not like they drove American makers out of business by buying offshore. Or not.
They got a nice tax reduction 3 years back and now want some welfare, cry me a river.

Sponsored

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do a little research. Majority of chip manufacturers are not in China, but in South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, and other SE Asia countries. Majority of China's chip production is consumed in China.

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is a real deal. I supply an electronic control unit to a vehicle manufacturer. I told them last month they should place a order soon, as the chip crisis is getting worse. We already had to change design due to the back order of a CAN transceiver. Well, they drug their feet and now the main micro is back ordered 40 weeks... and they donā€™t have stock to keep up with production. No idea whatā€™s going to happenā€”redesign the board again around another micro (more $$ and test/development work) or what. Itā€™s getting unnerving.

My 9/16 reservation (order now) delivery will probably be mid 22 as I see it.

EDIT the remaining 3,000 stock of main micros I found yesterday between two suppliers have disappeared šŸ¤Ŗ. What to do...

Last edited:

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
A little Detroit Diesel 3-53T would turn a few heads on the trail. 2.6 liter, weighing in at 1000, 2 cycle, screamin' lbs. It doesn't get anymore mechanical than these.šŸ˜

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A little Detroit Diesel 3-53T would turn a few heads on the trail. 2.6 liter, weighing in at 1000, 2 cycle, screamin' lbs. It doesn't get anymore mechanical than these.šŸ˜

Oh I love this thing, what character. I had a sailboat with a Yanmar 3GM 30-F. Had to replace the head gasket, so easy. Very enjoyable machines, these mechanical diesels. Soulful.
Sponsored