First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heritage
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But based on what? Do you know what they make now? What they made last year or the year before? Benefits packages? How can you say that a raise is "for sure" in order? I'm not saying it is or isn't because I don't know the answers to the questions above, but I do agree that what they were demanding is out of line.
The cost of labor per vehicle is less than 5%. That figure includes salary employees. Auto industry workers wages are DOWN 17% from 1990 - 2017 in this study by the U.S Government.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2020/i...ndustry-down-17-percent-from-1990-to-2018.htm

Based on the fact they're raking in record profits, and the prices of vehicles are increasing dramatically, it's a pretty safe assumption wages have not increased from 2017, but either stayed the same, or lowered much like the trend. If they weren't I doubt we would be seeing a strike right now.

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The cost of labor per vehicle is less than 5%. That figure includes salary employees. Auto industry workers wages are DOWN 17% from 1990 - 2017 in this study by the U.S Government.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2020/i...ndustry-down-17-percent-from-1990-to-2018.htm

Based on the fact they're raking in record profits, and the prices of vehicles are increasing dramatically, it's a pretty safe assumption wages have not increased from 2017, but either stayed the same, or lowered much like the trend. If they weren't I doubt we would be seeing a strike right now.
I would like to see how quality has performed during those same times.

It seems like Ford always has a shitload of recalls that they have to pay for.

Sponsored

Nellezhar

Badlands
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heritage
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

It would be interesting to see a graph next to this one with the amount of recalls. I would think with the decrease in wages, through less employees, and turnover due to low wages that you would see recalls increasing as wages fall. Less works means less eyes on the product, and more strain on the employees that are still there. I'm just speculating here though. I don't have that data, and I'm a little busy to look for it.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was reliably informed that Ford can’t break the Contract previously agreed upon with the UAW. That works both ways. The UAW signed into the previous Contract with approval from the workers. That Contract set the pay scale for the years to follow. Ford made Huge Profits following the signing of the Contract and was not able to share with the workers because what the UAW had previously agreed to. I think the workers need to be upset with the UAW leadership that made the previous Contract instead of being upset with Ford for making a profit. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nellezhar

Badlands
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heritage
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was reliably informed that Ford can’t break the Contract previously agreed upon with the UAW. That works both ways. The UAW signed into the previous Contract with approval from the workers. That Contract set the pay scale for the years to follow. Ford made Huge Profits following the signing of the Contract and was not able to share with the workers because what the UAW had previously agreed to. I think the workers need to be upset with the UAW leadership that made the previous Contract instead of being upset with Ford for making a profit. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Or they can be upset at the UAW for that contract, and currently be upset at the big three? They're not mutually exclusive. Based on the data Raises have been in order for a good while.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can give you two examples of build quality issues this past week on vehicles just delivered. Directly related to the person installing said parts knowing it was obviously f'd up but installing it anyway. Quality is job none.

brrke

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NA8 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

That statement is False and goes against Free Market Capitalism. Does every 18 y/o deserve this “living wage” as they work through college? How many businesses would no longer exist?

Regarding the issue of Contracts I thought this Strike was because the current contract had expired?? If that is the case Ford has no obligation to grant any ludicrous demands. My prediction is the UAW will draw this out far longer than needed and end up with less than the 20% raise Ford already offered. The 32 hour week (paid at 40) is a non-starter and has tilted favor away from the UAW.

@INFINITE23 you joined 6 days ago and have only talked on this thread. Do you have a Bronco and are you willing to post a picture of it?
Here’s one of mine:
IMG_8159.jpeg

Just wanna let you know America isn't a true free market.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Or they can be upset at the UAW for that contract, and currently be upset at the big three? They're not mutually exclusive. Based on the data Raises have been in order for a good while.
I mean, if you just feel the need be upset at the World then so be it. I go to work hoping to do a good enough job that my Company can make a profit and I get downright excited and happy when they do because I know I'll have a job next year. I work for a small Company (<300 people) and I can understand the difference in scale between my Company and a HUGE corporation like Ford. I can get face time with the CEO whereas the typical UAW worker cannot.

I hope you are satisfied with the future Contract that others will make for you, in a dark room, that you can't see in, nor give a voice to.

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can give you two examples of build quality issues this past week on vehicles just delivered. Directly related to the person installing said parts knowing it was obviously f'd up but installing it anyway. Quality is job none.
it's not just Ford. Spoke with guys at GM corvette which is just 2 miles away from us. Don't buy a vette right now is their comment. "No one cares right now" , just push cars down the line
Sponsored