First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just wanna let you know America isn't a true free market.
Just want to let you know that American Companies are not required to provide a "Living Wage" either (at least not today). Trust me, I know [NO POLITICS]
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The cost of labor per vehicle is less than 5%. That figure includes salary employees. Auto industry workers wages are DOWN 17% from 1990 - 2017 in this study by the U.S Government.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2020/i...ndustry-down-17-percent-from-1990-to-2018.htm

Based on the fact they're raking in record profits, and the prices of vehicles are increasing dramatically, it's a pretty safe assumption wages have not increased from 2017, but either stayed the same, or lowered much like the trend. If they weren't I doubt we would be seeing a strike right now.
Ok, but that leaves out a lot of variables, and is 5 year old data. It shows a decline in wages - because of inflation adjusted earnings, not a direct monetary decline. There could be things like welders, that may have been high skill, high pay workers, but are now replaced by robotic systems. That would skew results as lower skilled labor may have been kept. Higher pay positions may have been moved to another country for cost reductions, also skewing the numbers. Insurance costs also went through the roof and that chart leaves out all benefits data that is needed for a complete picture. Also missing is union vs non to be relevant to this instance. We don't even know that the workers in this equation fit into that graph. That data is only a small piece and not enough to base a conclusion on in this instance.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

it's not just Ford. Spoke with guys at GM corvette which is just 2 miles away from us. Don't buy a vette right now is their comment. "No one cares right now" , just push cars down the line
I've found that when you have people who've checked out, burnt out and don't care about the job anymore, throwing more money that them is just a temporary solution. Most of the time they end up quitting, getting moved or removed.

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, but that leaves out a lot of variables, and is 5 year old data. It shows a decline in wages - because of inflation adjusted earnings, not a direct monetary decline. There could be things like welders, that may have been high skill, high pay workers, but are now replaced by robotic systems. That would skew results as lower skilled labor may have been kept. Higher pay positions may have been moved to another country for cost reductions, also skewing the numbers. Insurance costs also went through the roof and that chart leaves out all benefits data that is needed for a complete picture. Also missing is union vs non to be relevant to this instance. We don't even know that the workers in this equation fit into that graph. That data is only a small piece and not enough to base a conclusion on in this instance.
I have not had time to read the article - but that's what I was wondering. It's comparing wages to inflation, so of course it going to dip. The chart separates auto manufacturing, now do police, teachers, and other average joe type jobs. Inflation effects everyone

brrke

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NA8 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Just want to let you know that American Companies are not required to provide a "Living Wage" either (at least not today). Trust me, I know [NO POLOTICS]
Yeah and the largest employer in your state does surprisingly, go US military! Imagine if other companies did the same!

Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Does anyone no someone that works for a company not allowed to make a profit. If so, how has that worked out.
Many non-profits are exactly/legally this, do good work and have good compensation.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well I just read where the seat maker for the Bronco just laid off due to the strike.

dimasin

Black Diamond
First Name
Dimasin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
it's not just Ford. Spoke with guys at GM corvette which is just 2 miles away from us. Don't buy a vette right now is their comment. "No one cares right now" , just push cars down the line
Good old sabotage...
Not like any of Big Three vehicles were high on quality ladder.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah and the largest employer in your state does surprisingly, go US military! Imagine if other companies did the same!
My State's largest employer being the Government (which includes the Military) could explain why we have the worst roads in the Nation and one of the lowest rated education systems. Maybe the taxpayers aren't getting enough production from the labor force we have on Contract?

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My State's largest employer being the Government (which includes the Military) could explain why we have the worst roads in the Nation and one of the lowest rated education systems. Maybe the taxpayers aren't getting enough production from the labor force we have on Contract?
Maybe too much money is headed to one specific area of government and not the others? (not politics, just facts referring to budget distribution).

Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the DOD has no authority for either roads or schools outside the boundaries of the various bases.

that's all on the responsibility of the locals. o_O

you really don't want MILCON to be in charge of your road planning!

Billy Baroo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So we should pass on taking delivery of our Broncos because they are knowingly not built correctly? If true, that's very bad business, the Bronco I'm having built is $73K ($65,960 MSRP) that includes tax and registration. WTF !!!!

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the DOD has no authority for either roads or schools outside the boundaries of the various bases.

that's all on the responsibility of the locals. o_O

you really don't want MILCON to be in charge of your road planning!
I never said it did. I said my State Government being the largest employer could be the reason we have the worst roads and near the worst education systems in the Nation. The Canadian said “yay Military” and I just meant to include them into government to show that the number is even higher. Road construction and education (Union’s again) fall squarely under the State government’s control.

Last edited:

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Many non-profits are exactly/legally this, do good work and have good compensation.
You are correct but I don't consider them regular businesses. They aren't meant to make a profit and can't by the rules that make them a non-profit. It would be nice if the government was more like them, do real good without messing things up.

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So we should pass on taking delivery of our Broncos because they are knowingly not built correctly? If true, that's very bad business, the Bronco I'm having built is $73K ($65,960 MSRP) that includes tax and registration. WTF !!!!
I don't know about the bronco assembly, I don't know anyone there but honestly would not be surprised. This comes from a worker that is there today @ GM.
Sponsored