David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I also have the manual. I agree with @Portapot. It’s not exactly quick off the line in 1st gear. 1st is pretty slow. Once you get to 3rd, it takes off. On the highway, I’d say in 6th gear it’s near 2k. 6th gear is a real dog though. On any type of incline it seems to lack power. It groans a little. I find myself in 5th gear a lot on the highway if not on a flat highway at 70+. I thought I saw a post on this at one time but when I hit 400 miles, the power seemed to kick up a notch. Really strange. The tone of the engine and transmission seemed to change and the power-torque increased. No off roading. @Portapot, have you seen this? There’s a also distinct whine when on the gas now and it goes. Can’t tell if it’s the turbo or the transmission.
On my Golf Alltrack (1.8 turbo) if you want quick off the line feather the clutch in at 2k RPM and take it past 5K before the shift to second. This is not the procedure if you want economy. If you want performance with a turbo get it on boost beforehand, if you want economy keep it off boost. Both goals can be fun with a manual.
Sponsored

kencantrell

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry SE V6; Ford F250 crew cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Non SAS BD being unloaded this morning at AutoNation Ford in Marietta Ga. Anyone’s here?

77F87581-4F18-40BB-BD31-A387E757492C.jpeg
False alarm. Stopped by to look at it this afternoon but that one was headed to a different dealership. Ah well...

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
False alarm. Stopped by to look at it this afternoon but that one was headed to a different dealership. Ah well...
maybe a few hundred miles north to Philly?? 😁 😁

be a nice early surprise!

Sponsored

kencantrell

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I love the steelies, but those stock tires are a touch too small on the 4dr imo. I’m going to toss 33s on mine when it comes in
I’ll likely also go with 33s when the 32s wear out. When I saw the 32s in person I was surprised at how in-proportion they looked though.

Mc5

Black Diamond
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ll likely also go with 33s when the 32s wear out. When I saw the 32s in person I was surprised at how in-proportion they looked though.
I haven’t seen a black diamond in person yet, does it look pretty good?

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
On my Golf Alltrack (1.8 turbo) if you want quick off the line feather the clutch in at 2k RPM and take it past 5K before the shift to second.
Ford does a LOT of fucking around with power production, presumably to save transmissions and axles.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/hacking-the-ecoboost/

Perhaps the biggest eye opener for us was throttle position. Remember us saying that the EcoBoost engine seemed to bog and fall under the turbo off the line? Well, there was a reason for that! Full throttle was indicated by a throttle angle of 82 degrees, yet off the line we were lucky to get 30 to 50 degrees- definitely not full throttle. We're not quite sure whether the engine was torque managing, protecting the turbo, or both, but in factory form in our 3rd gear roll, we only got actual full throttle from about 5,000 rpm to 5,700 rpm. That's not much of a powerband.

kencantrell

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I haven’t seen a black diamond in person yet, does it look pretty good?
Oh yes, very much so. I’ve seen BD, BL and BB in person. Surprisingly well proportioned in person, even thought the tires can look small in pictures. Love the steelies also. Wondering if black wheels in general are a fad that will fade quickly?

Pitpup

Black Diamond
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Mustang GT, 2008 Ford Ranger Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Oh yes, very much so. I’ve seen BD, BL and BB in person. Surprisingly well proportioned in person, even thought the tires can look small in pictures. Love the steelies also. Wondering if black wheels in general are a fad that will fade quickly?
I guess I'm just old. I really don't understand the black wheel look. If they had painted the BD steelies like the Base... that would have been nice. I know I can paint them, but...

Sponsored

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I guess I'm just old. I really don't understand the black wheel look. If they had painted the BD steelies like the Base... that would have been nice. I know I can paint them, but...
They look nice with all the other black and almost black trim. But someday I will paint them white, or if I am in the mood, some bright crazy color.😍

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I concur. Even in some of my photos - I’m feel they need to fill the wheel well a bit more. But, in person - I’m happy with them so far. Not going to toss $$$ to the curb - so, I’ll ride these Grabbers hard for the time being. Handle well on road, mud, sand and heavy rain so far.

I’m new to A/T/off-road tires - how long should they last if I’m doing the 5-way rotate every 5k?

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Happy Labor Day