Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looking to buy The Ultimate Dana 44™ AdvanTEK® Front-Drive Unit Axle in the 5.13 flavor with 32 splined inners. I'm assuming it is just the diff side that is 32 splined and CV side is still 29 splined. No mention of that on their website. Anyone in the know on that? I do have an inquiry in to Northridge 4x4 on that. Otherwise, new CV's will need to be bought.

Next is the rear ring and pinion. Anyone here changed out their Bronco's ring and pinion yet? Any tips/tricks on that? Never done it but will do lots of research on it before I do it. I will definitely buy setup bearings and a diff spreader. A guy I work with has done this before, Jeep axle, so if you all don't have any insights on this, he will be my go to guy.

Next is the front locker and integration. I have a Black Diamond, manual, with Advanced 4x4 transfer case. I would love to be able to buy the hero switches and integrate them. I need to research this to see if my harness has that ability to do this and what needs to be bought. If someone could take a picture of where their front locker wiring is and where it comes from, that would be great. Anyone have access to wiring diagram? Then getting into Forscan and getting that all dialed in so G.O.A.T. modes work like Badlands/Sasquatch models.

Right now is just research phase. I plan on doing this, front and rear bumper, and rock slider fabrication this coming fall/winter.

If anyone else is planning on installing Dana's 44 FDU anytime soon, let me know...
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, 32 splines at diff only. I tried getting info from Dana, but not much help there. On 6-7-22 their reply said they should have parts through "distributor partners in the next 30 days and available on DanaProParts.com"
No Est price point or anything else useful gained.
I went with the RCV's

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Look for the youtube video, they have an install video. I have found a few places advertising it for sale, but they say sold out. Not sure they have inventory yet. The Axles are beefy.

Sponsored
OP
OP
orion

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

5.13s? Preparing for 40s?
No, just 37's max, for now...

Right now with 35's and 6th gear is useless. 75 mph and get better fuel mileage in 5th.

Then wanting a low crawl gear so I can just idle while crawling. Right now I'm stalling while crawling in 4lo Crawler gear and don't want that, oh, and the locker of course...

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, just 37's max, for now...

Right now with 35's and 6th gear is useless. 75 mph and get better fuel mileage in 5th.

Then wanting a low crawl gear so I can just idle while crawling. Right now I'm stalling while crawling in 4lo Crawler gear and don't want that, oh, and the locker of course...
strange, I’m running 4.46 on the auto with 37s and still see 10th gear on the flats/slight grades. Understandable if you’re wanting a front locker, why not regear if you have to change out the entire FDU to get that anyways.

OP
OP
orion

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

strange, I’m running 4.46 on the auto with 37s and still see 10th gear on the flats/slight grades. Understandable if you’re wanting a front locker, why not regear if you have to change out the entire FDU to get that anyways.
I will be regearing. Buyin the 5:13 FDU and 5:13 rear gear set.

I did some testing with the 2.3 and manual. In 6th gear at 75 mph, slight incline my boost is slightly more and mpg's slightly less. 5th gear, boost is less and mpg's slightly better. I'm thinking with my setup, 4.46's, 2.3, 35's, and manual, 2500 - 3000 rpm's is the sweet spot for gas mileage. In 6th gear I'm at 1900 - 2000 rpm's at 75 mph.

My Bronco is going to be my off road toy, so at the end of the day, mpg's don't matter. I want what little torque the 2.3 delivers at idle to be taken advantage of, thus the 5:13 gearing. When I'm rock crawling I can just idle over stuff and blip the throttle when I need to. I probably don't need to go that low right now, but will be future proofing and want to buy once, cry once. 😉 In high school, I had an F-150 that I could just use the clutch, feather it, in really technical stuff, it was geared that low. That is what I'm after with this setup hopefully. We'll see...

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Big difference between the gearing forgiveness of an auto/torque converter and a manual/clutch. Especially when you get in the rocks ;)

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Spicer is still waiting on Ford to make a program adjustment to allow for the 5.38 s to work. At this point Ford is holding these up.

I've been on the waiting list for these for 8 months already.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Any updates to availability and compatibility? I'll be doing this on a Black Diamond, so the wiring for the locker and the FAD delete will have to be worked out. Looking at 5.13s.

OP
OP
orion

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Any updates to availability and compatibility? I'll be doing this on a Black Diamond, so the wiring for the locker and the FAD delete will have to be worked out. Looking at 5.13s.
Curious, do you have the advanced t-case? My front axle does not have the FAD. I have BD with advaned t-case...

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Curious, do you have the advanced t-case? My front axle does not have the FAD. I have BD with advaned t-case...

No on the advanced. Hoping there will be a software workaround for the FAD delete and I don't have to rig something up with the old FAD and harness.

OP
OP
orion

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@flip So I didn't go this route because I got an awesome deal on complete rear axle, front diff, front driveshaft, and front CV's from a Badlands Manual with the 4.7 gearing.

I have a Black Diamond. Could you help me find the right SIMA switch and harness for front diff lock? I think this is the right switch: M2DZ-13D730-FA. I'll keep looking for the harness...
Sponsored