Sponsored

Uncomfortable front seats! What is the solution?

OR/Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2dr Badlands / Hard / Non-Sasq. / 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
these are $20 on Amazon, work the same as any other seat jacker, use your original bolts or get some new ones to fit your need. I used the medium on the front and the short on the back, original bolts works perfect, back feels better.
Autoholic Adjustable Front Seat Spacer Kit Fit for Tacoma 2005-2022 4Runner 2003-2022 FJ 2006-2014 Lexus GX460 GX470 2003-2022
Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
All this talk about headrests, and I have no clue what the problem is.
It TOUCHES my HEAD. It's not supposed to touch your head. It's supposed to be 1.5 to 2" behind your head as a safety restraint in the case of a rear end collision.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The seats seem comfortable enough. I just wish Ford didn’t go so damn cheap on every single thing they could. my cheap A$$ one trim level from the bottom CX5 has power driver AND passenger seats. Absolutely no reason ford couldn’t do that. They have an electronic transfer case selector, window controls and an LCD all in plain open sight so the “but it’s a washout interior” argument doesn't hold water. They went cheap plain and simple.
I thought this was because it's hard to do power seats in a vehicle that can have a lot of water in the floorboard (and have specific warranty issues related)? I think until recently (MY24) the Wrangler didn't have them at all.

I assume Ford put power seats on Lux mostly because they thought people with leather seats wouldn't off road as much. I remember Jeepers making fun of Ford for doing so. I guess they gotta eat that if they're getting them in next MY.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I imagine that the fixed headrests most of us have will be the standard starting position for the adjustable headrest. Meaning, the adjustments will only go more forward, making it worse for those stating they have discomfort.
That would be incorrect. The fixed headrests are positioned similar to the furthest forward position of the adjustable headrests.

When I put my F-150's adjustable headrest in the Bronco, it's much more upright, and it fits perfectly. It could be adjusted further forward from there if needed, but the rearmost position is ideal for me.

soldier989

Base
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base MT / 2021 MX-5 GT / 1966 Ford F10
Your Bronco Model
Base
It TOUCHES my HEAD. It's not supposed to touch your head.
Interesting. I don't think I've ever felt mine touch my head. Maybe I slouch and don't realize it. And yes, as I also mentioned, you shouldn't be resting your head on the headrest

That would be incorrect. The fixed headrests are positioned similar to the furthest forward position of the adjustable headrests.

When I put my F-150's adjustable headrest in the Bronco, it's much more upright, and it fits perfectly. It could be adjusted further forward from there if needed, but the rearmost position is ideal for me.
Good to know. I've not yet had any experience with a Bronco that had adjustable headrests. Nor have I ever thought adjust a headrest in any car I've ever been In....since my head never touches them.

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Feel your pain. Definitely the most uncomfortable seats we have ever owned. Two years of ownership and no solution here, other than drive my truck more often, especially on longer trips.

abisen

Badlands
First Name
Anand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting. I don't think I've ever felt mine touch my head. Maybe I slouch and don't realize it. And yes, as I also mentioned, you shouldn't be resting your head on the headrest

Good to know. I've not yet had any experience with a Bronco that had adjustable headrests. Nor have I ever thought adjust a headrest in any car I've ever been In....since my head never touches them.
Yep, everybody’s different. Plenty of people have said the fixed headrests don’t bother them at all, yet there are quite a few of us who can’t stand it. Both sentiments are valid.

Same thing with this thread’s original topic of seat comfort. Some folks say the MGV seats are the most comfortable they’ve ever owned, and for those lucky people, great! I’m happy for you. 👍

But for some of us, they just aren’t that great. For whatever reason, they don’t fit our bodies. There are things that can help, like seat jackers and lumbar pads, and that’s what this thread was supposed to be about.

But like so many other subjects, there’s this attitude of “If I don’t personally experience this problem, than it isn’t a problem and it must be you.” Since I find these seats comfortable, you must need a chiropracter, or stop sitting on your wallet, or you don’t know how to adjust your seat properly.

I’m in pretty reasonable shape for my age, and I’ve done a lot of driving in my life. In just the last couple of years I’ve driven from Tucson to Traverse City in less than three days in a stupid rental Dodge minivan, and I was fine. The trip home was in a Forester. Again, no problem, 1000 miles per day. I drive to Taos a couple times a year, 13 hours straight, in a variety of vehicles including a freaking Chevy Trax. Never an issue.

But I can’t go downtown in the right seat of our BD with MGV seats without my back hurting. When I drive it on road trips, the only thing that makes it tolerable is that I can constantly adjust the lumbar. The seats just aren’t that great for me, and obviously many others…

Big Rig

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yep, everybody’s different. Plenty of people have said the fixed headrests don’t bother them at all, yet there are quite a few of us who can’t stand it. Both sentiments are valid.

Same thing with this thread’s original topic of seat comfort. Some folks say the MGV seats are the most comfortable they’ve ever owned, and for those lucky people, great! I’m happy for you. 👍

But for some of us, they just aren’t that great. For whatever reason, they don’t fit our bodies. There are things that can help, like seat jackers and lumbar pads, and that’s what this thread was supposed to be about.

But like so many other subjects, there’s this attitude of “If I don’t personally experience this problem, than it isn’t a problem and it must be you.” Since I find these seats comfortable, you must need a chiropracter, or stop sitting on your wallet, or you don’t know how to adjust your seat properly.

I’m in pretty reasonable shape for my age, and I’ve done a lot of driving in my life. In just the last couple of years I’ve driven from Tucson to Traverse City in less than three days in a stupid rental Dodge minivan, and I was fine. The trip home was in a Forester. Again, no problem, 1000 miles per day. I drive to Taos a couple times a year, 13 hours straight, in a variety of vehicles including a freaking Chevy Trax. Never an issue.

But I can’t go downtown in the right seat of our BD with MGV seats without my back hurting. When I drive it on road trips, the only thing that makes it tolerable is that I can constantly adjust the lumbar. The seats just aren’t that great for me, and obviously many others…
I am definitely on your side with this. While I can manage to get through a long drive, the seats are not comfortable to me and I am looking for a way to upgrade.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey Y'all!

I have a 2022 4dr Badlands Lux w/ MGV(Took delivery June 2022 and put 27k miles on it already). It has manual seat adjustments and I can get it to "comfortable enough" but on drives of 1hr+ I get pretty bad back pain. I did a 9hr straight drive and my back hurt for like 2 weeks afterwards 🤦

For comparison sake, I had a 2019 Mustang Bullitt before this and I could take it on 4hr+ drives with no pain.

I'm not an ergonomics expert, so I'm not quite sure what the source of this discomfort is. Has anyone else had a similar experience and a fix?

I'm open to the idea of replacing the whole seat, if that's what it takes 😂 I love my Bronco and would like to keep it for a very long time... But if I can't solve this, I might have to trade it for something else 😔
I also have the MGV seats and love them, very comfortable. I also have chronic back and neck issues (for 35 years). It may not be just the seat design, specific to your body. It could be your condition has worsened since your Mustang. The cheapest thing to try would be various "pillows" and wedges, an attachment to the seat and see if that helps with your pain. Getting out and stretching every 2 hours is not a bad thing anyway for leg circulation. (as you get older, it's probably not going to get any better). Wishing you the very best.

Sponsored
OP
OP
acarzt

acarzt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You need to see a chiropractor. Your symptom is typical of a hip misalignment. That causes your legs to shift unevenly to handle the gas/brake pedals. Your spine compensates and your muscle pull. Then you have a sore back for a long time because you keep repeating the cycle.

In a former life, I used to drive an average 2,500 miles a month between our factories. It isn't the seats. If it was, you would have been feeling that 25,000 miles ago. Bad car seats are felt the first 3 minutes you sit in them.

Save your money. The chiropractor is your least expensive option.
I felt it from day 1. I'm just now getting around to trying to do something about because I just got back from a long road trip and I'm tired of putting up with it 🤷

LCW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did 16 hrs a couple weeks ago and the Bronco seats (I have a 2dr) are definitely supportive and comfortable over long distances. More so than the JL seats in the Rubicon I had before the Bronco. both were leather however. MGV sounds horrible to me.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not an ergonomics expert, so I'm not quite sure what the source of this discomfort is. Has anyone else had a similar experience and a fix?
Start with how tall you are and how much you weigh. That'll tell a lot and allow people to compare how they get along in their seats.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I find this fascinating. What do you do if you spend all this money and the seats just don't work for you? Not an issue anybody wants, but it's gotta happen. The human body just varies too much.

I for one only sat in a manikin one time for two minutes over a year before I got mine. I think I would've been very disappointed if I couldn't comfortably use the most expensive car I've ever bought without being uncomfortable.

Personally, until my Bronco, I've always found Ford seats too squishy and floppy on the front/side. These work ok (I've driven up to seven hours and not been fatigued by them, too much at least). They do kinda feel a bit flat on the seat bottom.

I wonder if a good vehicle upholsterer could help, if they could add foam in different spots? It's not like you can just swap them out with another design.

OP
OP
acarzt

acarzt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I felt it from day 1. I'm just now getting around to trying to do something about because I just got back from a long road trip and I'm tired of putting up with it 🤷
To elaborate... There is a 1hr trip that I do at least 3 days a week. The Mustang sits much lower that the Bronco, obviously, and it's a stick shift. Bronco is automatic. Within days of trading the Mustang for the Bronco, I did this 1hr trip, and immediately noticed the back pain. Initial Injust attributed it to "Maybe I'm sitting weird because I'm not driving stick?" But despite trying to change how I sit, changing seat position, changing lumbar support, I still get pain.

And to address some of the comments people have made... I empty my pockets when I drive 🤦 so no, y'all didn't solve the mystery, it's not my wallet.

Also, I've driven my GFs Ford Focus (recently) over the same distance with no back pain.

I know my body isn't in perfect functioning condition, but I also know that there are seats that exist that DO NOT cause me back pain. So, while these seats may be comfortable for many of you, they are NOT for me.

I've gotten some suggestions that I'm going to try. I just bought a seat back cushion some recommended via DM that I'm going to test out. I also ordered the seat jackers.

I'll keep y'all updated on if these helped or not, for the others that are also finding the seats uncomfortable.

One last note, I was asked about my body type. I am a short male in decent shape (I workout minimum twice a week)
Sponsored