Sponsored

Understanding the demographical Bronco buyer landscape: Manual v. Automatic Transmission

When did you bless us w/ your presence and which transmission are your beautiful eyes set on honey?

• Manual & Gen Z ('96+)

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Auto & Gen Z ('96+)

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Manual & Gen Y ('81-'95)

Votes: 83 21.4%
  • Auto & Gen Y ('81-'95)

Votes: 96 24.8%
  • Manual & Gen X ('65-'80)

Votes: 75 19.4%
  • Auto & Gen X ('65-'80)

Votes: 80 20.7%
  • Manual & Baby Boomers ('44-'64) hey you silver fox

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Auto & Baby Boomers ('44-'64) hey you silver fox

Votes: 29 7.5%
  • Manual & Mature (pre '44) aka wise, sage af

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Auto & Mature (pre '44) aka wise, sage af

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KosmicKid

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco OBX '14 Jaguar XFR-S 18 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Gen-X. Auto for the 2.7/Squatch.

I been telling folks millennials ain't so bad.
For the purpose of this thread I will agree.
But for everything else I will humbly disagree. (I have 5 of them and work with a bunch of them)
As for the poll, I only chose Auto cause due to many years in construction I can't consistently use a stick anymore.
Sponsored

Azie

Badlands
First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm Gen Z, but I learned to drive on a stick shift Tacoma and I have never drove an automatic by choice. Currently drive a Fiesta ST and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a Bronco.

Wild Bill

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F350 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would prefer the manual but going automatic to get the larger engine.

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Gen Y and already have 2 manual vehicles. You can’t Squatch or 2.7L without an auto, so that’s how I voted. Probably would have gone auto even if manual was a choice, but the decision would have given me pause.

ChrisMeyers

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
These numbers are not going to represent the real population. There is no way millennials are going to be buying the manual in even percentages with the auto. This is a different type of demographic.

Sponsored

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Results of this may be skewed as certain options require the automatic transmission. Options which I imagine are going to be very popular choices.
Sasquatch and 2.7 engine both require automatic if i'm not mistaken.
This is my point exactly. I am Gen X close to being a boomer. I want the 2.7 & Sasquatch so the auto is the only option. If I could get those options with a manual that would be my choice.

KaneNorth

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gen Y Only reason I’m getting the auto is because I’d rather have the 2.7L.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Gen Y and auto here.

Aubie

Badlands
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm Gen Y. Learned how to drive on a stick and have had a stick on a majority of my vehicles in the past, just choosing to get auto.

96GreenBronco

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco XLT, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 7M
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice to see other millennials love to drive manual as well, as of this post more for the 7M than not!

It would be interesting to see a parallel poll of preference if they offered all trims and packages for both Auto and Manual like we thought sasquatch was going to be. I see quite a few posts of people lamenting they have to make a hard choice between the manual and [insert optional feature here; 2.7, Sasquatch, etc]. Then maybe it would help convince ford to make the manual more accessible

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Results of this may be skewed as certain options require the automatic transmission. Options which I imagine are going to be very popular choices.
Yuuup. I'm a millennial and HATE automatics. But I reserved an FE and would get the bigger motor no matter what. I don't want another 2.3. So I'm stuck with the auto

OP
OP
icavedin

icavedin

Base
First Name
Ami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 4runner, '91 318iS, '07 4runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for everyone's participation! The next step to this process will be selling all your mined data to TikTok's CEO ;)
But in all seriousness, I felt a few teardrops trickle down my cheeks as the polling results populated. Hard to not get emotional when I see the younger generations looking to save Señor Manuél!

As one in the baby boomer category I voted auto, but I have a caveat. If I were buying for me to drive exclusively I would buy a manual. But, since my Bronco will also be a road trip of 5K+ miles it needs to be an auto just in case the wife wants, or needs to drive. She can drive a manual, but hell hasn't frozen over yet. ? :ROFLMAO:
I heard Ford is looking to run a BoGo (buy one, get one free deal).
I kid I kid. Happy wife, happy life!

So I'm Gen Y huh? Pimpy

Stick of course
Ford Bronco Understanding the demographical Bronco buyer landscape: Manual v. Automatic Transmission 10506012

Okay I'm not going to lie, this literally made me laugh out loud ?; but also the results are kinda fascinating, in a good way. Don't want to say more and bias the thread!
Nice work posting original content @icavedin!
Thanks booboo ?

This thread is weird af and I dig it.

It also confirms my suspicion that millennials actually do like driving stick. Which makes sense because most of my friends can drive stick.
I dig you.

I am GenX, but I act like a GenZ.
I cannot be constrained by the boundaries of this demographic survey.
Hop on over it babe.

I had my wife confirm the # of margaritas I’ve had once I read this thread.

Ami, thanks for making me tilt my head sideways like my dog trying to understand something.
Hope it was the good stuff!

Early gen y I guess. Want a manual but also want 2.7 so leaning auto.
Follow your heart qt.

You sir, are a millenial! Embrace it.
At least we're chewing at our fingers bits for a manual and aren't complaining about air conditioned seats, yet are still often labeled as the soft 'snowflake' generation.
A bit ironic, eh? ;)
Oh no he diii'iint!

You sir, are not mistaken.

Ah! So you're saying the results are actually in the slushbox's favor?
Interesting, albeit still an impressive turn out from the standard crowd!
Agreed mate!

I'm Gen Z, but I learned to drive on a stick shift Tacoma and I have never drove an automatic by choice. Currently drive a Fiesta ST and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a Bronco.
And it's looking forward to being cradled by your hands.

For the purpose of this thread I will agree.
But for everything else I will humbly disagree. (I have 5 of them and work with a bunch of them)
As for the poll, I only chose Auto cause due to many years in construction I can't consistently use a stick anymore.
I'll have to do some digging to see how many humans were born within that timeframe, I'm sure it may be a bit more than 5 though. ?

Love me some tacos!

Would prefer the manual but going automatic to get the larger engine.
Contrary to popular belief, size doesn't always matter.

Thanks dude - let's see pics of the rod!

Gen Y and already have 2 manual vehicles. You can’t Squatch or 2.7L without an auto, so that’s how I voted. Probably would have gone auto even if manual was a choice, but the decision would have given me pause.
c'est la vie

These numbers are not going to represent the real population. There is no way millennials are going to be buying the manual in even percentages with the auto. This is a different type of demographic.
Sure - I agree with you on that as there is definitely an inherent bias baked into polling on an automotive forum. However, I could also extrapolate that older generations may not be on the forums who are purchasing manual variants of the Bronco which wouldn't reflect in the polling results.

This is my point exactly. I am Gen X close to being a boomer. I want the 2.7 & Sasquatch so the auto is the only option. If I could get those options with a manual that would be my choice.
Only time will tell if the FMC gods see the light!

Gen Y Only reason I’m getting the auto is because I’d rather have the 2.7L.
Do you, boo. But again, that crawler gear should have plenty of torque (read: twerk?) in sticky situations.

Gen Y and auto here.
Your presence has been noted and is appreciated friend.

I'm Gen Y. Learned how to drive on a stick and have had a stick on a majority of my vehicles in the past, just choosing to get auto.
We appreciate your servitude to the manual trannys!

Nice to see other millennials love to drive manual as well, as of this post more for the 7M than not!

It would be interesting to see a parallel poll of preference if they offered all trims and packages for both Auto and Manual like we thought sasquatch was going to be. I see quite a few posts of people lamenting they have to make a hard choice between the manual and [insert optional feature here; 2.7, Sasquatch, etc]. Then maybe it would help convince ford to make the manual more accessible
Agreed with everything you said. It's definitely a reassuring feeling to see the results and understanding there is still some hope! It will be interesting to see how this data translates to real world purchasing power. Perhaps FMC will see enough demand to pivot and expand their manual offerings.

Yuuup. I'm a millennial and HATE automatics. But I reserved an FE and would get the bigger motor no matter what. I don't want another 2.3. So I'm stuck with the auto
Better start shopping for some slick suits to match that blingy blue interior! ?

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A better measure would’ve been transmission and how much traffic you plan to drive in.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

A better measure would’ve been transmission and how much traffic you plan to drive in.
If we're okay conflating age effects with cohort effects then the results would be the same, for the same reasons.

Ford Bronco Understanding the demographical Bronco buyer landscape: Manual v. Automatic Transmission cohort_and_age_effects_2x
Sponsored