Sponsored

Understanding the demographical Bronco buyer landscape: Manual v. Automatic Transmission

When did you bless us w/ your presence and which transmission are your beautiful eyes set on honey?

• Manual & Gen Z ('96+)

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Auto & Gen Z ('96+)

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Manual & Gen Y ('81-'95)

Votes: 83 21.4%
  • Auto & Gen Y ('81-'95)

Votes: 96 24.8%
  • Manual & Gen X ('65-'80)

Votes: 75 19.4%
  • Auto & Gen X ('65-'80)

Votes: 80 20.7%
  • Manual & Baby Boomers ('44-'64) hey you silver fox

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Auto & Baby Boomers ('44-'64) hey you silver fox

Votes: 29 7.5%
  • Manual & Mature (pre '44) aka wise, sage af

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Auto & Mature (pre '44) aka wise, sage af

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If we're okay conflating age effects with cohort effects then the results would be the same, for the same reasons.

Younger people get very few joint replacements, yet they're also getting more than older people did at the same age. This means you can choose between 'Why are millennials getting so (many/few) joint replacements?' depending on which trend fits your current argument better.'re also getting more than older people did at the same age. This means you can choose between 'Why are millennials getting so (many/few) joint replacements?' depending on which trend fits your current argument better.
I can’t tell if you’re implying that millennials don’t have jobs or all live in cities.
Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I can’t tell if you’re implying that millennials don’t have jobs or all live in cities.
Younger people don't mind traffic with a manual because they're not old and achy.

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Younger people don't mind traffic with a manual because they're not old and achy.
That’s a huge assumption. I’ve always had sticks regardless of my age and always hated driving them in traffic.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

That’s a huge assumption. I’ve always had sticks regardless of my age and always hated driving them in traffic.
Yes, sorry, I figured the comic referencing mixing up age effects and cohort effects would make it clear that I was making light of these sorts of statistics.

I'm young(ish) and achy and don't mind manuals in traffic so ?‍♂

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This thread is weird af and I dig it.

It also confirms my suspicion that millennials actually do like driving stick. Which makes sense because most of my friends can drive stick.
Same here, and what's weird is of all the peeps I taught stick, my sister whose born in '90, while she can't drive drive it, was the best person I taught, driving 11 miles before she asked me to drive, all on a st1 clutch

Sponsored

Section8

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
In my experience more people say they prefer manual than actually drive or buy one, even if the opportunity is there.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my experience more people say they prefer manual than actually drive or buy one, even if the opportunity is there.
If I wasn't selling my Audi to fund my Bronco, be driving it more

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Picking an automatic because I almost ran a red light today while my 4 year old was asking me “why do people fart? Why does Papa have hair in his ears? Why do I have to eat vegetables to grow big? Why do my feet smell stinky?”, and then at every Jeep we passed “hey mama, is that a bronco? Look! There’s a Bronco mama!!” So yeah, I can multitask, but if I have to drive a stick shift and answer all of life’s questions at the same time I’m going to forget how to drive myself home......and yeah, millennial here ??

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A better measure would’ve been transmission and how much traffic you plan to drive in.
That's why I'm so excited for the manual transmission in the new Bronco. It has everything I need living in Wisconsin. Six speeds + reverse for the real world and a Chicago gear for those times I exit around the southern tip of Lake Michigan.
Maybe an uparmor option will be one of the 300 accessories.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh yeah... Gen X who learned to drive manual on my mom's 1980 AMC Concord Wagon!
I've only personally owned 1 automatic transmission car (although my wife's cars have all been automatic) and that was my $325 college beater.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thats true enough. And usually with excuses like "I can only have one vehicle" or "what about traffic" or "what about long trips" or "what if someone has to borrow it"

But some(myself included) genuinely prefer manuals. All else equal I'll take the manual every time.

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My first truck, ‘99 Ram 1500, manny tranny manny tcase and I beat the shit out of that thing. Blew up the rear end, blew up second gear chirping the tires on the 1-2 shift. Good times and miss having that combo. Was my last stick shift and seeming likely that will remain the case.

5.0Maverick

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 maverick.
Your Bronco Model
Base
Gen y. Tacoma stick. Wrangler stick. Bmw stick. Infiniti stick. Altima stick. Learned to drive on a 71 vw ghia stick. Maverick to be stick soon, :-(

little bit about myself: adhd and automatics hate each other.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for everyone's participation! The next step to this process will be selling all your mined data to TikTok's CEO ;)
But in all seriousness, I felt a few teardrops trickle down my cheeks as the polling results populated. Hard to not get emotional when I see the younger generations looking to save Señor Manuél!
TikTok CEO… you mean Xi Jinping?
Whatever... I'm sure China has mined plenty of info on me by now.

Seriously... Thanks for one of the more interesting polls!
Sponsored