Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's been a few weeks since Ford announced the hard top kit would be included with soft tops starting with September production. Given they responded to the whining pleading of the masses it's now time to re-assess to see if people are actually switching. My guess is that, especially with this group, the answer is no. People knew that if they switched to soft top to potentially get their Bronco earlier also meant the chances of getting a hard top later was slim to none.

In case you were wondering, I didn't not switch although I'd consider it if I wasn't outvoted by the CFO (wife).
Sponsored

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes I did, but before they announced they’d include the hard top kit, which I assume I am not getting.

Wookiee

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 1500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's been a few weeks since Ford announced the hard top kit would be included with soft tops starting with September production. Given they responded to the whining pleading of the masses it's now time to re-assess to see if people are actually switching. My guess is that, especially with this group, the answer is no. People knew that if they switched to soft top to potentially get their Bronco earlier also meant the chances of getting a hard top later was slim to none.

In case you were wondering, I didn't not switch although I'd consider it if I wasn't outvoted by the CFO (wife).
Ha ha, yeah I was vetoed by the CFO as well, “I want what I want” can’t argue with her logic 😁

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I switched once they offered the prep kit, but not thrilled. My logic is:
-Hard top will hang in the garage 8-9 months of the year as I live in a "mild" climate.
-I was going to get a bikini/trek top and tonneau cover combo right away anyway

I'd prefer a fastback style top, even though they look goofy with the side panels all off. But I want my damn bronco! I figure I can do some top trading next spring when there's actually a population of rigs on the road.

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes I did, but before they announced they’d include the hard top kit, which I assume I am not getting.
Unless you have a VIN/build date already, you will get the prep kit.

Sponsored
OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I switched once they offered the prep kit, but not thrilled. My logic is:
-Hard top will hang in the garage 8-9 months of the year as I live in a "mild" climate.
-I was going to get a bikini/trek top and tonneau cover combo right away anyway

I'd prefer a fastback style top, even though they look goofy with the side panels all off. But I want my damn bronco! I figure I can do some top trading next spring when there's actually a population of rigs on the road.
I like that you can take the side and back panels off the soft top and essentially have a safari top. Which I could live with. I still haven't figured out where to store the hard top as the garage is filled to the brim with other toys. Reality will slap me in the face at some point and I'll just take the front panels off until the bleating of "it's too windy" or "it's too sunny" are actually heard over the wind noise.

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

same. He lets me bring my anxiety home overnight.
Unless you have a VIN/build date already, you will get the prep kit.
Got my VIN on 5/27. They announced this hard top kit thing at some point later.

Today is my blend date. I don’t see anything about the hard top kit on my window sticker.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I switched to a four door and soft top a few weeks ago. After seeing the MIC pics of built units the past few days I am glad I did. I get the prep kit for a future hard top also which is nice.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like that you can take the side and back panels off the soft top and essentially have a safari top. Which I could live with. I still haven't figured out where to store the hard top as the garage is filled to the brim with other toys. Reality will slap me in the face at some point and I'll just take the front panels off until the bleating of "it's too windy" or "it's too sunny" are actually heard over the wind noise.
I had a 2 door, long wheel base TJ wrangler (LJ) for awhile, I bought a hoist system for that hard top that worked great for removal and storage. Do a google search. I still use it to store camping gear now that the Jeep is gone. Damn....where's that gonna go? :)

*edit: It was a manual rope/pulley system rated for the weight of the top and securely fastened to structural lumber. If you do this, please do the math and install it correctly!!

zebraquick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kia Forte
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I wanted in. First change was to Soft Top. I am 7/18 reserve. My second change was financially and use oriented driven change even though my CFO told me keep it. I changed from BL to BD and even 2.3. I have no "sins' on the list and happy. BL was gonna be too much truck for me I feel. Also want a small RV 9towed by other vehicle) so I needed to adjust.

Sponsored

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Got my VIN on 5/27. They announced this hard top kit thing at some point later.

Today is my blend date. I don’t see anything about the hard top kit on my window sticker.
Right. Anyone who doesn't have a VIN already can get the prep kit with the soft top if they let their dealer know.

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a 2 door, long wheel base TJ wrangler (LJ) for awhile, I bought a hoist system for that hard top that worked great for removal and storage. Do a google search. I still use it to store camping gear now that the Jeep is gone. Damn....where's that gonna go? :)

*edit: It was a manual rope/pulley system rated for the weight of the top and securely fastened to structural lumber. If you do this, please do the math and install it correctly!!
Let me clarify, the ceiling of the garage is already covered in hanging shelves. And they are filled. I'm going to need to get just beyond the the creative stage.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I switched once my dealer confirmed to me that I won't be scheduled before Sept and will be getting the prep kit.
Originally I wanted dual top and was pretty sure I'd be running with the soft top for most (if not all) of the year. Easy open/close beats everything else in my book. Where I live it might be 100+ degree during the day and in the low 60es in the evening/night, so being able to open up and close back down as needed tops all other considerations for me. I also don't give a fork about "wrinkly" windows on a soft top, doesn't bother me one bit.

Maybe I'll buy a MIC top some day, never would want the painted mod top. Ideally I want a MIC in back and soft top for both rows on my 4door up front, hope aftermarket will offer that. The bestop sunrider is a no go since it only covers the front row.

For now I'll enjoy the blue sky above me when ever it's not too hot or cold and the ease of buttoning things up within seconds when it's not. Bronco being a convertible is one of the major selling points to me.

BigMex

Badlands
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 White Ford Bronco (moar door, 7spd, lux)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there a Prep Kit code that should appear on the build sheet?

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Judging from this very scientific poll it looks like Ford made the right call although I didn't ask specifically if the hard top kit was an added incentive or was it just the opportunity to get the rig faster.
Sponsored