First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape '09 Mercury Mariner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, I thought about this too. The only issue with that is aren't you defeating the purpose of a tailgate at that point? (To avoid having to swing something open that requires additional depth?)
A tailgate would require a flip-up or roll-down rear window. So, maybe with an interior mount or underbed compact spare or a can of inflator like Slime, an either/or "Country Squire" tailgate would be possible. a swing door like the Fiesta will probably be standard.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TopRecon

TopRecon

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, I thought about this too. The only issue with that is aren't you defeating the purpose of a tailgate at that point? (To avoid having to swing something open that requires additional depth?)
Tire mounts are removable, IIRC it was only held on by four bolts on the originals so pretty easy to pull off if you have to haul with the tailgate down. On the other hand, ever seen a Wrangler or an FJ with their spare tire removed? It's an awful looking tire mount stuck right in the middle. I'd rather have a fully designed back end.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/3rd-5th-door.735/post-13582

Michigan assembly will be constructing "Hoods and Swinggates" for the Bronco according to the doc Stampede shared.

Not conclusive, certainly, but I'm inclined to believe that we'll be seeing an ecosport/defender style swinggate.
Well I was hoping maybe it was referring to the Baby Bronco but that looks pretty definitive, maybe it was an oversight and they're referring to a swinging tire mount, but I'm doubtful. That is such a disappointment, I've been trying to keep an open mind but this is the first bit of news I've heard that I really don't like. Now I know how the rock crawlers felt when they learned about IFS, or the boomers when the V8 was confirmed not happening.

Ford Bronco [Unofficial] Production Bronco Renders based on Bronco R fj tireless

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
It has a spare tire mount. How in the world would they make a tail gate without a bunch of moving parts? My 1996 bronco had to have a swing tire carrier swung out, once you swung that out you had to insert a key to power down the window, once the window was down you could drop the tail gate. Big pain in the ass compared to swing gates.
Personally, I’m stoked it’s going to have a swing gate, easer load and unload.
As far as room for parking in the garage, even if it’s a tail gate you still have to swing a tire carrier out to use it.
Also, needs to swing to the right as I’m always coming or going from the driver side to load or unload. Sometimes when room is tight, you only need to crack it open.

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Still had to swing a gate though. I thought that was the whole issue with some.
?

That's a tailgate. Yes, the tire is on a swingarm. People don't want the entire gate to swing out though, they prefer the more traditional Bronco setup of either a top mounted or retractable glass, wing out tire, and drop down tailgate. This is the best situation for many of us. Some do want the swing out gate however, which also can make sense. Why not both though?

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As far as room for parking in the garage, even if it’s a tail gate you still have to swing a tire carrier out to use it.
Also, needs to swing to the right as I’m always coming or going from the driver side to load or unload. Sometimes when room is tight, you only need to crack it open.
I'm guessing it will open from the right: (or passenger side) hinged on the left like the EcoSport. Ford's lawyers probably want to avoid folks carrying stuff on the traffic side of the vehicle with armloads of stuff. Neve rmind in Ford's photo it's parked on the "wrong" side of the road!
Ford Bronco [Unofficial] Production Bronco Renders based on Bronco R 20_FRD_ECO_000040_SES_V3.tif

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It has a spare tire mount. How in the world would they make a tail gate without a bunch of moving parts? My 1996 bronco had to have a swing tire carrier swung out, once you swung that out you had to insert a key to power down the window, once the window was down you could drop the tail gate.
This isn’t 1996 anymore... all that would need to be done is swing the tire, open the tailgate. Every Mustang made since 2005 has had frameless windows that automatically drop down as you open the door, no reason Bronco can’t have the same (or, as toprecon

Personally, I’m stoked it’s going to have a swing gate, easer load and unload.
That’s still less area, especially if the mount is offset like I want. We’re talking about cutting off half the width of the vehicle here... that’s a pretty significant amount

Man, really sounds like you’d love a roll down window in your Bronco... either roll it down before you hop out of the truck to reach back and grab it, or as you’re approaching the truck, hold the unlock button and roll down all your windows (as is standard on all modern Fords)

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So how is the top going to be fully removable if it's a swing gate like the above ecosport? Legitimate question not trying to be a smartass.

Wouldn't it have to be exactly like a Jeep to have a removable top and swing gate?

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So how is the top going to be fully removable if it's a swing gate like the above ecosport? Legitimate question not trying to be a smartass.

Wouldn't it have to be exactly like a Jeep to have a removable top and swing gate?
It could have a frameless rear window that rolls down into the swinggate with the surround being part of the roof. So you just roll it down and then pull the top off.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It could be both. Like old wagons. They could open to the side or flip down. Window goes into tailgate (lift glass would also work here). I seem to recall riding in a wagon once that could flip down, open sideways, OR slide down under the rear deck. The glass on that one powered up into the roof.

Honda Ridgeline has a tailgate/swing gate currently.

So yeah. Could be both.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It could have a frameless rear window that rolls down into the swinggate with the surround being part of the roof. So you just roll it down and then pull the top off.
I think I'd like this setup best. Seems like a liftglass would be impractical, as you have to open/close the swinggate to open/close the liftglass (since the tire is in the way).

We also know the doors are frameless too, so it wouldn't be surprising for them to use the same setup on the rear swinggate.

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Hadn't thought of that:like:
Sponsored