Sponsored

(UPDATE-COMMON 2.7L ISSUE, NO OFFICIAL FORD COMMENT) Dealership service department says Bronco 2.7L takes 6 quarts of oil (not 7 quarts per manual)

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The manual says:

1. That the capacity is 7 quarts

2. To immediately drain oil out if the level on the stick is above the max mark

Based on the fact that so far any of us who either have a factory fill or who add 7 quarts after a drain and filter change end up with an oil level about an inch over the max mark, which "do what the manual says" reference are you suggesting? Number 1 or number 2? You can't have both...
mine says this…. your vehicle. If Motorcraft oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SP requirements and display the API
Capacities
Certification Mark for gasoline engines.
Do not use supplemental engine oil additives because they are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that your vehicle warranty does not cover.
Variant Including the Oil Filter
All. 7.0 qt (6.6 L)
Materials
Name Specification
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil(U.S.)
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil / Huile moteur de très haute qualité SAE 5W-30 Motorcraft®(Canada)
XO-5W30-Q1SP(U.S.) CXO-5W30-LSP6(Canada)
Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The manual says:

1. That the capacity is 7 quarts

2. To immediately drain oil out if the level on the stick is above the max mark

Based on the fact that so far any of us who either have a factory fill or who add 7 quarts after a drain and filter change end up with an oil level about an inch over the max mark, which "do what the manual says" reference are you suggesting? Number 1 or number 2? You can't have both...
I believe it has just about determined that the dip stick is the wrong one…

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everyone chill. Just fill it to capacity. 6 or 7 doesn't matter. Don't assume. It all depends how much oil is drained out. Depends how warn the oil is; that will drain quicker. Or how long you let it drain for. Fill it to within the fill level.

Someone also posted a vid on youtube and they said 6 qts. But he ended up needed 6.5 qts. So there. 6 qts isn't correct. 7 qts isn't correct. It's somewhere in the middle.

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I plan on draining my oil, and putting that much back in it. Then checking my level. What is the dipstick showing up on these vehicles when they are first delivered? If it really is a dipstick vs oil capacity situation, these cars should be getting delivered with excess oil showing on the dipstick. Right?

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To repeat what others have said and my experience confirmed:

Get it hot and let it drain for a loooog time. At 2 hours mine still dripped at 1 drop per about 20 seconds. Thats when I sealed it up and filled it up.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I posted this before seeing the thread below. I think @flip is correct that the dipstick is not the correct length for the Bronco 2.7L. Ford has been made aware of this through the proper channels. Hopefully they will release something official and replace all the incorrect dipsticks out in the wild if that turns out to be the case.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-for-2-7l-engine-oil-change-is-correct.29047/

@flip Does my photo above seem consistant with what 7.0 quarts of oil is looking like on other 2.7L Bronco's?
Please update your thread title and opening post. Many people don’t read past the opening post before commenting. Thanks.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I disagree. The factory fill has a much higher Moly count used to assist in new motor break-ins.
It does not...ask Ford. This topic has been discussed zillions of times. New style rings break in much faster than back in the day. Ford uses standard semi-synthetic. I wager you will not find a shred of accurate information directly from Ford engineering that supports your claim.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It does not...ask Ford. This topic has been discussed zillions of times. New style rings break in much faster than back in the day. Ford uses standard semi-synthetic. I wager you will not find a shred of accurate information directly from Ford engineering that supports your claim.
Each of their own, I have no time to go back and forth. I trust black labs more than I trust Ford.

*Edited*

To clarify, I wasn't talking about the factory dumping some sort of extra additive. I'm talking about the factory oil. So for folks that are changing their oil early, but are replacing it with the official motorcraft blend WSS-M2C961-A1, then that shouldn't be an issue.

Most third party oils have <100 ppm of moly, for example Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 is about standard at 80ppm.

However the motorcraft blend actually has 162ppm.

For those that are interested, this is a great resource...

https://pqia.org/passenger-car-motor-oil/

And remember, these new turbo engines require GF-6/API SP specs.

Last edited:

Lucky Nut

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If it really is a dipstick vs oil capacity situation, these cars should be getting delivered with excess oil showing on the dipstick. Right?
Yes they are. That is pretty much what got us to this point. I wouldn’t have bothered to even check mine until I put a couple thousand on her if not for this forum. When I did check, it was at least a half inch over max fill. Triggered an early oil change for me.

Last edited:

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes they are. That is pretty much what got us to this point. I wouldn’t have bothered to even check mine until I put a couple thousand on her if not for this forum. When I did check, it was at least a half an inch over max fill. Triggered an early oil change for me.
Wow. Guarantee they aren’t checking the oil level as a part of their QC process then.

Sponsored

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not possible, Ford isn't your local speed shop, any changes, no matter how minor, are reviewed and approved at several levels. An oil capacity change would get plenty of attention.
As @da_jokker rightly pointed out, everything Ford has released in writing has had at least a couple of typos or mistakes in it. Hell, the 2022 ordering guide completely swapped information between the BL and WT. All those levels of approval routinely miss stuff.

GT500

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fill it to the appropriate level on the dip stick, unless Ford officially releases something different.

6 quarts of fresh oil after an oil change is more than adequate, even if you're actually a quart low, unless you're operating continuously at the extreme limits of the vehicle.

Overfilling is not a prudent approach, being down a half a quart or so won't hurt anything.

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe the district tube is the wrong length....😉

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Each of their own, I have no time to go back and forth. I trust black labs more than I trust Ford.

*Edited*

To clarify, I wasn't talking about the factory dumping some sort of extra additive. I'm talking about the factory oil. So for folks that are changing their oil early, but are replacing it with the official motorcraft blend WSS-M2C961-A1, then that shouldn't be an issue.

Most third party oils have <100 ppm of moly, for example Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 is about standard at 80ppm.

However the motorcraft blend actually has 162ppm.

For those that are interested, this is a great resource...

https://pqia.org/passenger-car-motor-oil/

And remember, these new turbo engines require GF-6/API SP specs.
The factory Ford fill is a decent oil...but there are also much better oils out there. My point is that there is no "extra" moly in the factory Ford oil...it is simply the factory recommended oil used in every change thereafter. The lab may detect some remnants of assembly lube in a factory fill if you have it tested, but that lube is designed to protect the components during the initial startup. There is zero harm (and some benefit) to changing oil early with an equal (or better) quality oil than the factory Ford semi-synthetic (especially on a turbo engine). If you are into lab reports, compare an oil like Amsoil Signature 5-30 to Motorcraft semi-synthetic...it is a superior oil in more ways than one. Also note that moly in and of itself is less important than the specific type of moly and the overall oil package (the way the chemical compounds work in concert with one another). Examples:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-amsoil-asl-5w-30-signature-series.166820/

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/threads/what-oil-should-i-use.82809/

http://synlubepros.com/blog/posts/tips/moly-in-engine-oil

Fixating only on the 162 ppm of moly and not the rest of the package is only a piece of the puzzle. Like you, I trust labs as well! I personally am not a fan of extended oil change intervals, however.

Samsquanch75

Black Diamond
First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sasquatch 4dr, 2018 4Runner TRD OffRd
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
First oil change at 1224 miles. I left it sitting for 30min or so after a warm up, pulled the plug, swapped out the filter with a Motorcraft element. Poured in 6qts, checked the stick after 10min and it was at the low end added one more qt (7th) figuring I could drain some out if needed as I installed a Ronin easy drain plug. I then did the "Prime" function and let it sit for another 10min. At this point the oil level was just below the Full mark on dipstick. I have subsequently checked the oil level 4 times after a few hundred miles. I think the key as noted in another video posted is waiting. It takes time for a complete oil drain, manual states waiting 10min before checking the level.
Sponsored