Sponsored

(UPDATE-COMMON 2.7L ISSUE, NO OFFICIAL FORD COMMENT) Dealership service department says Bronco 2.7L takes 6 quarts of oil (not 7 quarts per manual)

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR CB OBX SAS & 2000 Lexus LS400
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

UPDATE:

I posted this before seeing the thread below. I think @flip is on to something/correct in that the dipstick is not the correct length for the Bronco 2.7L. Ford has been made aware of this through the proper channels. Hopefully they will release something official and replace all the incorrect dipsticks out in the wild if that turns out to be the case.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-for-2-7l-engine-oil-change-is-correct.29047/

ORIGINAL POST:

I had my oil changed by my local Ford service a little over a week ago. I decided to check my oil today when I was under the hood. See below....

I have driven a little under 200 miles with it like that, but thankfully I caught it. They went by what Ford states and put 7 quarts in. I went back today and expressed my concerns. They drained the oil and put 6 quarts back in and confirmed that's the correct amount. Ford needs to revise the manual!

Learn from my mistake and tell them it's only 6 quarts not 7 when getting your 2.7's oil changed.

Ford Bronco (UPDATE-COMMON 2.7L ISSUE, NO OFFICIAL FORD COMMENT) Dealership service department says Bronco 2.7L takes 6 quarts of oil (not 7 quarts per manual) 20211122_082441
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Jacob, with everything else Ford has screwed up concerning the Bronco this doesn't surprise me at all. I had heard of this some time back, and thought maybe Ford would have taken care of it by now, but noooooooo. I wonder how many will suffer possible engine damage, because Ford doesn't seem to have the capacity to do anything right anymore. I'm happy to hear you got yours straightened out before anything happened.

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

With everything else Ford has screwed up concerning the Bronco this doesn't surprise me at all. I had heard of this some time back, and though maybe Ford would have taken care of it by now, but noooooooo. I wonder how many will suffer possible engine damage, because Ford doesn't seem to have the capacity to do anything right anymore.
Seems to me like they are well over capacity...

See what I did there!?

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
They prob drained it to make you happy. There was a post earlier today by @flip who works a dealership.

I will post the thread when I find it.

And your post should read "confirmed by your dealership and not by Ford service".

I had my oil changed by my local Ford service a little over a week ago. I decided to check my oil today when I was under the hood. See below....

I have driven a little under 200 miles with it like that, but thankfully I caught it. They went by what Ford states and put 7 quarts in. I went back today and expressed my concerns. They drained the oil and put 6 quarts back in and confirmed that's the correct amount. Ford needs to revise the manual!

Learn from my mistake and tell them it's only 6 quarts not 7 when getting your 2.7's oil changed.

20211122_082441.jpg

Last edited:

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

20211122_082441.jpg
WRONG....

flip said:
FSE was here and verified with bronco team engineering, 7.0qt for oil change is correct. My inquiry was the first they had received (through normal Ford channels) and they are investigating. One theory, which appears to be incorrect based on the last post, is they recycled the F150 stick. Beside it being longer, the part numbers are not the same so we can nix that. It's possible there was an engineering change since this 2.7 takes 1qt more than the other vehicles the Nano is used in. Gut tells me engineering spec'd 7qt after the indicator was designed/approved and no one caught it. Anyway, they are "officially" aware of it and looking into it.

My bet is the stick in the bronco is 1/2" too long and engineering just used the F150 length because of similar parts. They didn't take into account the bronco gets an extra quart.

Sponsored

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

They prob drained it to make you happy. There was a post earlier today by @flip who works a dealership.

I will post the thread when I find it.

And your post should read "confirmed by your dealership and not by Ford service".
This qualifies….DRINK!!

OP
OP
broncoky

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Ford Motor Company This is all so confusing.... Why on earth are we having to figure this out for you and risk our vehicles for such oversights. Will there be a recall on the 2.7L dipstick now, since it's measuring for what appears to be 6 quarts instead of 7? Do I need to go out and put anther quart back in it after dealing with the dealership all afternoon on this very issue?

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@Ford Motor Company This is all so confusing.... Why on earth are we having to figure this out for you and risk our vehicles for such oversights. Will there be a recall on the 2.7L dipstick now, since it's measuring for what appears to be 6 quarts instead of 7? Do I need to go out and put anther quart back in it after dealing with the dealership all afternoon on this very issue?
Yep... and do what the manual says.... then you are covered....

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is why you pay the dealer to put in whatever they think is correct. Then if the engine goes south it is not your fault and is warrantied.

That being said, being a quart low if capacity is truly 7 will not, in my opinion, lead to engine damage although a quart high could. (too much oil on bottom side of pistons

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

WRONG....

flip said:
FSE was here and verified with bronco team engineering, 7.0qt for oil change is correct. My inquiry was the first they had received (through normal Ford channels) and they are investigating. One theory, which appears to be incorrect based on the last post, is they recycled the F150 stick. Beside it being longer, the part numbers are not the same so we can nix that. It's possible there was an engineering change since this 2.7 takes 1qt more than the other vehicles the Nano is used in. Gut tells me engineering spec'd 7qt after the indicator was designed/approved and no one caught it. Anyway, they are "officially" aware of it and looking into it.

My bet is the stick in the bronco is 1/2" too long and engineering just used the F150 length because of similar parts. They didn't take into account the bronco gets an extra quart.
Geez! Which is it...6 or 7 quarts? Who do we believe, FSE or Dealerships?

Sponsored
OP
OP
broncoky

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I posted this before seeing the thread below. I think @flip is correct that the dipstick is not the correct length for the Bronco 2.7L. Ford has been made aware of this through the proper channels. Hopefully they will release something official and replace all the incorrect dipsticks out in the wild if that turns out to be the case.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-for-2-7l-engine-oil-change-is-correct.29047/

@flip Does my photo above seem consistant with what 7.0 quarts of oil is looking like on other 2.7L Bronco's?