Sponsored

(UPDATE-COMMON 2.7L ISSUE, NO OFFICIAL FORD COMMENT) Dealership service department says Bronco 2.7L takes 6 quarts of oil (not 7 quarts per manual)

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is why you pay the dealer to put in whatever they think is correct. Then if the engine goes south it is not your fault and is warrantied.

That being said, being a quart low if capacity is truly 7 will not, in my opinion, lead to engine damage although a quart high could. (too much oil on bottom side of pistons
That’s all well and good but we all know the motor is going to “go South” when we are 1 mile out of warranty.
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I posted this before seeing the thread below. I think @flip is correct that the dipstick is not the correct length for the Bronco 2.7L. Ford has been made aware of this through the proper channels. Hopefully they will release something official and replace all the incorrect dipsticks out in the wild if that turns out to be the case.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-for-2-7l-engine-oil-change-is-correct.29047/

@flip Does my photo above seem consistant with what 7.0 quarts of oil is looking like on other 2.7L Bronco's?
Yup.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had my oil changed by my local Ford service a little over a week ago. I decided to check my oil today when I was under the hood. See below....

I have driven a little under 200 miles with it like that, but thankfully I caught it. They went by what Ford states and put 7 quarts in. I went back today and expressed my concerns. They drained the oil and put 6 quarts back in and confirmed that's the correct amount. Ford needs to revise the manual!

Learn from my mistake and tell them it's only 6 quarts not 7 when getting your 2.7's oil changed.

20211122_082441.jpg
No I think you need to find a different dealer. Seven is correct...

FSE was here and verified with bronco team engineering, 7.0qt for oil change is correct. My inquiry was the first they had received (through normal Ford channels) and they are investigating. One theory, which appears to be incorrect based on the last post, is they recycled the F150 stick. Beside it being longer, the part numbers are not the same so we can nix that. It's possible there was an engineering change since this 2.7 takes 1qt more than the other vehicles the Nano is used in. Gut tells me engineering spec'd 7qt after the indicator was designed/approved and no one caught it. Anyway, they are "officially" aware of it and looking into it.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

the ford manual
Why? Ford hasn't produced a single piece of literature that didn't contain significant typos.

I'm not saying the manual isn't right, but I sure in the hell wouldn't trust something just because it's in the manual.

Sponsored

old goat

Big Bend
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Why? Ford hasn't produced a single piece of literature that didn't contain significant typos.

I'm not saying the manual isn't right, but I sure in the hell wouldn't trust something just because it's in the manual.
do as you please , I'll follow the manual and be safe with my warranty.
FILL IT UP TO THE TOP OF DIP STICK LINE . be safe.
PS I ll just let the dealership change it for the first 3 years and ill have a paper trail in case they screw up or my motor screws up.

I'm glad I don't have mine yet ! hopefully by this summer. that way maybe all this BS will be straighten out MAYBE !!!! MAYBE MAYBE.

GT500

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gut tells me engineering spec'd 7qt after the indicator was designed/approved and no one caught it. Anyway, they are "officially" aware of it and looking into it.
Not possible, Ford isn't your local speed shop, any changes, no matter how minor, are reviewed and approved at several levels. An oil capacity change would get plenty of attention.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

do as you please , I'll follow the manual and be safe with my warranty.
FILL IT UP TO THE TOP OF DIP STICK LINE . be safe.
PS I ll just let the dealership change it for the first 3 years and ill have a paper trail in case they screw up or my motor screws up.

I'm glad I don't have mine yet ! hopefully by this summer. that way maybe all this BS will be straighten out MAYBE !!!! MAYBE MAYBE.

Ironically, that's about the only real factual information on this thread. If you don't have the dealer change your oil to record it, whether you underfill or overfill it's moot. You can't prove either way how much oil you've put in.

As others have said, when your engine blows and it's time to have it towed to the dealer, are you better off having it at the max line, or quart over in the twist.

Sadly, as it stands now, there's more evidence to support having it over full.

I have no intention of draining the factory oil too soon and getting rid of all the extra additives. So hopefully my 2.7 will be out of the "blown" window by my first oil change.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The manual says both 7 qts and the following:

Ford Bronco (UPDATE-COMMON 2.7L ISSUE, NO OFFICIAL FORD COMMENT) Dealership service department says Bronco 2.7L takes 6 quarts of oil (not 7 quarts per manual) Screenshot_20211123-104604_FordPass

So which page of the manual should we believe or follow?

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep... and do what the manual says.... then you are covered....
The manual says:

1. That the capacity is 7 quarts

2. To immediately drain oil out if the level on the stick is above the max mark

Based on the fact that so far any of us who either have a factory fill or who add 7 quarts after a drain and filter change end up with an oil level about an inch over the max mark, which "do what the manual says" reference are you suggesting? Number 1 or number 2? You can't have both...

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ironically, that's about the only real factual information on this thread. If you don't have the dealer change your oil to record it, whether you underfill or overfill it's moot. You can't prove either way how much oil you've put in.

As others have said, when your engine blows and it's time to have it towed to the dealer, are you better off having it at the max line, or quart over in the twist.

Sadly, as it stands now, there's more evidence to support having it over full.

I have no intention of draining the factory oil too soon and getting rid of all the extra additives. So hopefully my 2.7 will be out of the "blown" window by my first oil change.
There are no "extra" additives in our factory oil fill...that has been verified on numerous occasions.

Gene Dios

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Checked mine the other day and it seemed to be over already. 1000 miles, original oil.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There are no "extra" additives in our factory oil fill...that has been verified on numerous occasions.
I disagree. The factory fill has a much higher Moly count used to assist in new motor break-ins.

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
The manual says:

1. That the capacity is 7 quarts

2. To immediately drain oil out if the level on the stick is above the max mark

Based on the fact that so far any of us who either have a factory fill or who add 7 quarts after a drain and filter change end up with an oil level about an inch over the max mark, which "do what the manual says" reference are you suggesting? Number 1 or number 2? You can't have both...
So is 7 quarts the dry capacity and is it possible ( by the pan design ) to fully drain ?
With all due respect, I see nothing ( at least in the owners manual ) that states to add 7 quarts on an oil change.

These discussions aren't new or even just a Ford issues. Here is a similar take on the Jeep SRT8 back in 2014 with the SRT engineers answer ( source CherokeeSTR8.com ) :
"
1. There still seems to be a lot of confusion on the oil capacity for the SRT8 engines. The factory spec calls for 7 quarts, but many owners go by the dipstick reading instead, and as a result sometimes ending up putting in only 6 or 6-1/2 quarts.

Given that the oil is drained thoroughly, and of course a filter change, is it recommended to just put in the full 7 quarts, or fill to the dipstick level?
SRT8 Engineers-
1. It is likely that all oil is not completely drained out of the oil system due to the cooler plumbing and some oil remaining in pan (pan/baffles/windage tray). Drain as much oil as possible then fill to the dipstick full level on flat ground. If the system is completely purged you should be very close to the 7 L prescribed by the owners manual.
Sponsored