John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all, I have a new Bronco Badlands with MIC top. Mid package. 33in tires. Other than a police radar detector and spare wheel cover, no mods. 1850 miles.

First, I was one of those with their Bronco stuck in Dirt Mountain limbo. Second, I LOVE this truck. For those you you still waiting, it was worth the wait. The lane assist was a real surprise and delight for me... Never had a vehicle with it before.

Unfortunately, however, I had to take it to the dealer today. The power steering was acting erratic. The Lane Assist was off, but it almost felt like the lane assist was fighting with the EPAS. Front wheels vibrated when I turned the steering wheel. Seems like an EPAS issue, but there were no warning lights on the dash. When I took it in to Avis Ford, they hadn't seen a similar issue before and the mechanic seemed visibly perplexed when he witnessed the issue. I should have take a video to share with folks here. It's a new vehicle, so I can understand that Avis hasn't seen a lot of issues yet and don't have a lot of experience with the truck. But they're here in Metro Detroit, so I figure they've got better access to data and Ford engineers than most dealers.

Just wondering if anyone else had a similar issue?

BTW, the service tech did tell me that they've been having a lot of issues with leaking MIC tops... along the driver side A pillar.

9 Nov 2021 Update: Dealer called. The steering rack was found to be defective. I believe EPAS is integrated with the unit. Ford part number MB3Z-3504A. Replacement part is supposed to arrive at dealer tomorrow. I would love to understand exactly what happened to this part. And who supplies it. Is it the same on all Bronco variants? Is it used on other Ford models? Note: I have not been off-road yet. 90% of the 1850 miles are highway over 65 mph.

15 Nov 2021 Update: Picked up my truck today. Dealer replaced the steering gear assembly ("rack") and recalibrated the PSCM. Working fine. No explanation as to why there was no telltale or warning message. Because of this, the dealer told me that they had to get permission from Ford in advance to authorize the replacement. I thought I should share here in the event someone else experiences the issue. Without warning message or telltale, you WILL know you have this issue. It is not an intermittent or subtle thing. Anyway, fresh back from the Off Roadeo in Austin this weekend, I'm really happy to be back behind the wheel of my Bronco.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's obvious, search your heart Johnny... You know it's true... You waxed it, didn't you, you hooked it up to the orbital sander and waxed it! The dark side of the wax, quicker and more seductive, it is.

btay801

Black Diamond
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 23 BL completely stock and notice when going into a turn sometimes it slightly jerks a few degrees further than I turned the wheel. Not a lot but enough that you have a picker moment.
I wonder if there is a sensor out of whack?

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a 23 BL completely stock and notice when going into a turn sometimes it slightly jerks a few degrees further than I turned the wheel. Not a lot but enough that you have a picker moment.
I wonder if there is a sensor out of whack?
Hi Robert. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.
Sponsored