First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
you can isolate where a repeating sound comes from by listening to how it reacts to RPM.

It's tied to rpm. So think about what spins at that frequency. It sounds like valvetrain, but you have no metal, so cam phasers are definitely a possibility.

I wouldn't worry. Call the dealer Monday and ask them if they want you to drive it in, or they will come pick it up.

OP
OP
KrazeeEyezKilla

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It’s a cam phaser, and it won’t throw a code. There will be no messages. The message gets delivered to your ears.
Yeah no codes or anything. It does sound more like a lifter noise based on comparing to other videos. But who knows. Will see what dealer says in the morning and report back.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is 100% NOT a cam phaser noise. Not even remotely close. My guess is some type of lower end failure, possibly a broken piston skirt.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here’s a broken piston skirt in a 13 F150 with a 3.5 ecoboost just for comparison.

Sponsored

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This sounds nothing like a cam phaser. Sounds like rod Knock for sure, has the cadence of the crank rotation.

The only place you should be letting the engine run like this is at the dealership. I would get them to address this asap

Deleted member 32220

Trust me it’s a cam phaser. Since we want to play show and tell watch the first 2 minutes of this.

Deleted member 32220

Motors with full oil pressure and no metal in them dont knock. Trust me I’ve blown up lots of them, and each one costs as much as the bronco.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Motors with full oil pressure and no metal in them dont knock. Trust me I’ve blown up lots of them, and each one costs as much as the bronco.
Weird, because the video of the ecoboost I posted had perfect oil pressure, no metal on the dipstick, yet had 4 cracked/broken pistons. I’ve replaced a lot of phasers in the 13 years I’ve worked for Ford, and I’ve never heard one make the noise in the OP’s video 🤷‍♂️

Deleted member 32220

I didn’t order a 2.3 because I couldn’t afford a 2.7 and I certainly didn’t do it for the 2 mpg worse I get with a 2.3… just sayin.

Sponsored

Deleted member 32220

Weird, because the video of the ecoboost I posted had perfect oil pressure, no metal on the dipstick, yet had 4 cracked/broken pistons. I’ve replaced a lot of phasers in the 13 years I’ve worked for Ford, and I’ve never heard one make the noise in the OP’s video 🤷‍♂️
Watch that video the second truck makes the exact sound.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Watch that video the white truck makes the exact sound.
I stopped watching after I saw who was making the video. Guy is a hack and a laughing stock of the Ford technician community. But you believe whatever you want. We will see when he gets it looked at.

rgalvinmi

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2 Door, 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Base
Trust me it’s a cam phaser. Since we want to play show and tell watch the first 2 minutes of this.
Definitely SOUNDS like....someone who KNOWS THIER SHIT!!!

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's just got way too much presence for traditional cam phaser noises but there's a slim chance possibly. I work in powertrain development this is one of the things I have regular experience with. The tone just sounds more like rod knock to me is all. Hard to diagnose over headphones though.
Sponsored