First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Here’s the quick update. I’ll probably need to update the title for this thread as well.

The service manager verified that the noise is coming from within the engine. He does not know what is causing the noise other than it doesn’t sound good. There was no visible metal in the oil. Could be a rod, could be something else. He would have to take it apart to find out, but that requires time and man hours he doesn’t have.

So he ordered a new engine. This will be my second replacement.

He’d rather replace it AGAIN in an effort to get the Bronco back to me quickly then spend time taking it apart, diagnosing the issue, waiting again for parts, maybe learning it needs to be replaced, etc. Assuming we can expedite the engine and parts needed the hurdle will be them just finding time to do the work. They’ll ship the old engine back to Ford and have them figure out what’s broken.

I’m at a loss for words right now. I need to eventually find out what went wrong - how will I ever trust this car without understanding this second engine issue? Is it the same issue as my first failure or something else? A fluke? Or is there something terribly wrong with my vehicle? I love the Bronco but this may tip me over the edge.

I’ll need to explore options with Ford and the dealer. If I don’t want it anymore a buyback may be my only option. They can’t give me another First Edition. If I tried to sell it on my own would anyone want it after two engine replacements? That may have killed any value the FE had. I really don’t know what to do. Maybe I’ll feel differently when I get it back. But I don’t know. Fool me once…

I just know this sucks royally.

Would love Jim Farley’s thoughts on this one. @Ford Motor Company @Lucchese
Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry OP. Hope they get you back up and running ASAP!

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here’s the quick update. I’ll probably need to update the title for this thread as well.

The service manager verified that the noise is coming from within the engine. He does not know what is causing the noise other than it doesn’t sound good. There was no visible metal in the oil. Could be a rod, could be something else. He would have to take it apart to find out, but that requires time and man hours he doesn’t have.

He’d rather replace it AGAIN in an effort to get the Bronco back to me quickly then spend time taking it apart, diagnosing the issue, waiting again for parts, maybe learning it needs to be replaced, etc. Assuming we can expedite the engine and parts needed the hurdle will be them just finding time to do the work. They’ll ship the old engine back to Ford and have them figure out what’s broken.

I’m at a loss for words right now. I need to eventually find out what went wrong - how will I ever trust this car without understanding this second engine issue? Is it the same issue as my first failure or something else? A fluke? Or is there something terribly wrong with my vehicle? I love the Bronco but this may tip me over the edge.

I’ll need to explore options with Ford and the dealer. If I don’t want it anymore a buyback may be my only option. They can’t give me another First Edition. If I tried to sell it on my own would anyone want it after two engine replacements? That may have killed any value the FE had. I really don’t know what to do. Maybe I’ll feel differently when I get it back. But I don’t know. Fool me once…

I just know this sucks royally.

Would love Jim Farley’s thoughts on this one. @Ford Motor Company @Lucchese
Wow...just wow. I do have to say I like the service manager's thinking...don't dick around, just get it replaced. Hopefully the third engine will be the charm.

OP
OP
KrazeeEyezKilla

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Wow...just wow. I do have to say I like the service manager's thinking...don't dick around, just get it replaced. Hopefully the third engine will be the charm.
Thanks and I agree about the service manager, he didn't want to waste time and figured the outcome was going to be poor anyway.

I'm stuck between "Third time's a charm" and "Fool me twice, shame on me..."

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks and I agree about the service manager, he didn't want to waste time and figured the outcome was going to be poor anyway.

I'm stuck between "Third time's a charm" and "Fool me twice, shame on me..."
Hang in there man...at least for one more engine.

Sponsored

Deleted member 32220

Best outcome is a replacement. Do you like Raptors? A buyback and raptor allocation or tell your story to NHTSA, regarding 2nd failure/ on 3rd engine less 10k miles. When corporate’s back is up against the wall you will see how fast a rabbit comes out of a hat.

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

. . .

. . .

gotta like the approach of your service mgr. - just start fresh w another new engine - this is great

? do you have the mileage on this one - OP says about 3000 mi ? - do you have accurate mileage ?

you're in good company - this is fourth example of two replacements
- you could start a club w @Broncitis , @yogi_stvl , and @Jaycefox

your truck value will be fine - no worries - no de-valuing from engine replacements - prob doesn't even show up in CarFax
- no, you don't want a buyback - lousy deal
- an FE w new '22 rev -AB engine will be worth a lot more than you paid for it - no doubt

when you get a chance, we'd like to have the accurate mileage
- we're gonna list this one as another engine failure, since it already had ~ 3000 mi on it

another replacement is a drag for sure - but longer term you're in great position !

OP
OP
KrazeeEyezKilla

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
gotta like the approach of your service mgr. - just start fresh w another new engine - this is great

? do you have the mileage on this one - OP says about 3000 mi ? - do you have accurate mileage ?

you're in good company - this is fourth example of two replacements
- you could start a club w @Broncitis , @yogi_stvl , and @Jaycefox

your truck value will be fine - no worries - no de-valuing from engine replacements - prob doesn't even show up in CarFax
- no, you don't want a buyback - lousy deal
- an FE w new '22 rev -AB engine will be worth a lot more than you paid for it - no doubt

when you get a chance, we'd like to have the accurate mileage
- we're gonna list this one as another engine failure, since it already had ~ 3000 mi on it

another replacement is a drag for sure - but longer term you're in great position !
Mileage is 5,203.
My first replacement engine was a ‘22 AB, hope this one is better. Will be curious to see the build date.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Too bad we won't ever know what the cause of the noise was....my money is on a wristpin. I've had this happen when installing brand new pistons ( they were manufactured wrong and the oil holes were pluged to the wrist pin) it made the same noise. Very difficult to diagnose. It took a complete teardown and inspection of each part to find the culprit. The manufacturer sent me new pistons and wrist pins and corrected their manufacturer process too.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

With so many issues plaguing the Bronco, if a bad engine is your only issue, I would take it and count your blessings.

Someone else just had their brakes go out and hit a (parked) vehicle. others have had their fuel pumps just stop on them. Others have electronic gremlins.

With these Broncos, one is truly playing the odds with quality.

Sponsored
OP
OP
KrazeeEyezKilla

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Too bad we won't ever know what the cause of the noise was....my money is on a wristpin. I've had this happen when installing brand new pistons ( they were manufactured wrong and the oil holes were pluged to the wrist pin) it made the same noise. Very difficult to diagnose. It took a complete teardown and inspection of each part to find the culprit. The manufacturer sent me new pistons and wrist pins and corrected their manufacturer process too.
I’ve asked the dealer to follow up with Ford to find out what went wrong, but I have a feeling once it goes on the pallet that’ll be the last I hear of it.

OP
OP
KrazeeEyezKilla

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
UPDATE (7/1/22)
Got the Bronco back on 7/1. A quick replacement all things considered. They had to replace a few ignition coils(?) or something like that but it all seems to be in order. I don't know if we'll ever find out what was wrong with the engine as it was sent back to Ford.

I'm glad to have it back but honestly the thrill has worn off a bit.

Here is the new engine sticker. Hard to photograph it so it's in two pieces. Build date of Feb 21, 2022.

Ford Bronco UPDATE: Engine Being Replaced AGAIN [Clicking noise in replacement 2.7 engine] IMG_3213
Ford Bronco UPDATE: Engine Being Replaced AGAIN [Clicking noise in replacement 2.7 engine] IMG_3214

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Must be nice to have a Bronco and already replaced engine a couple of times. I am still lacking a vin from my 2nd day 2020 reservation

glewisn

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 2.7 makes a clicking and rubbing noise. Take a listen. 2,900 miles and I just dropped it off at the dealer. Badlands SAS 4-door

I bought it on 12-12-2022

glewisn

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs