Sponsored

UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening!

Jrod0486

Black Diamond
First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So... you know you filled to 6.4. But it was filled with 7. But you think they didn't change it. Where did the extra oil come from? The oil level was higher than when you dropped off, right? Oil can and absolutely does appear "dirty" almost immediately after the change. Color alone isn't a fool proof indicator of if it's fresh. Like others have said, send it off for analysis, I'm just saying the "extra" oil got there somehow, and this tech knew the Bronco took 7 qts as opposed to 6.4, which has been shown to actually be the correct amount.
Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So... you know you filled to 6.4. But it was filled with 7. But you think they didn't change it. Where did the extra oil come from? The oil level was higher than when you dropped off, right? Oil can and absolutely does appear "dirty" almost immediately after the change. Color alone isn't a fool proof indicator of if it's fresh. Like others have said, send it off for analysis, I'm just saying the "extra" oil got there somehow, and this tech knew the Bronco took 7 qts as opposed to 6.4, which has been shown to actually be the correct amount.
Not once, on any of my vehicles, 40 years changing my own oil, has my oil looked dirty or turned black just a few miles after changing it.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That is truly messed up for sure but for the price of an oil change I prefer to have the dealer(not yours lol)just do it and if I ever have an engine issue that requires warranty work, all the oil changes are documented with the dealer. A catastrophic engine failure and no record of oil changes could lead to a dispute.
This is a big thing with me. I'll let the dealer do the work, it gets documented in the system and the record for the vehicle. Then if it fails, they can't point fingers at me saying I didn't do maintenance on time. Use that warranty to your advantage.

With Toyota you get 2 years free service, I used them exclusively on both my 4Runner and Tundra.

Sponsored

seashell

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I know that there are other threads about this but the 2.7 does take 7 quarts. We have changed the oil twice, both at home. Take off oil cap, remove dip stick and let it drain for longer than you think.

Last edited:

SCADABronx

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LC100, Gen2 Pilot, MX P100D, Gen1 MDX, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 10 month old oil in my 250k mile Land Cruiser looks cleaner than that. I'm about to do it myself on the 2,200 mile Bronco. I started doing all of my own basic service after working at a dealership briefly after high school. I saw enough in that short time to scare me for life.

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 10 month old oil in my 250k mile Land Cruiser looks cleaner than that. I'm about to do it myself on the 2,200 mile Bronco. I started doing all of my own basic service after working at a dealership briefly after high school. I saw enough in that short time to scare me for life.
Then you worked at the wrong dealer and it's your fault for not branching and trusting others...

I didn't agree with some of the practices with the first dealership I worked at so I left. The second dealership I worked for was it, and I ended up retiring from there. I've had customers accuse me of trying to pull the same exact thing, even after 15yrs (at the time) of working on vehicles I wasn't above helping quick lane out with oil changes. Thankfully there were cameras showing we did the work. One tried blaming us for him "blowing" his motor even though we've always documented he requests we only put 3qts (truck took 5) in because "that's how much oil came in the new crate motor after the first one went.

"All dealerships are bad! Raba raba raba!"
- mob mentality

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clearly there is a problem. Did you discuss with the service manager.

I would not expect a lube tech at any dealership to be infallible. Yes, I would get upset.

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Send us a photo of that 10 month oil? I own two Toyota cars and a Mazda and the oil always looks black after 3000 miles. It doesn't mean the oil needs to be changed. For years I changed at 3000, increased to 5000. Have to be honest I was reluctant to let it go this long considering how black it is at 3000, but that doesn't mean much.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Then you worked at the wrong dealer and it's your fault for not branching and trusting others...

I didn't agree with some of the practices with the first dealership I worked at so I left. The second dealership I worked for was it, and I ended up retiring from there. I've had customers accuse me of trying to pull the same exact thing, even after 15yrs (at the time) of working on vehicles I wasn't above helping quick lane out with oil changes. Thankfully there were cameras showing we did the work. One tried blaming us for him "blowing" his motor even though we've always documented he requests we only put 3qts (truck took 5) in because "that's how much oil came in the new crate motor after the first one went.

"All dealerships are bad! Raba raba raba!"
- mob mentality
I am very pleased with my dealer. In my experience, most dealers are good and have honest, hard working people.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What's with the "Ford are you listening"? This is totally a dealer service screw up and has nothing to do with Ford.
Dealers are a Franchise of Ford so most definitely poor service affects the Brand and has a lot to do with Ford. I’m sure there are very specific standards required to be a franchisee. First line would be to work it out with the dealer but I’m sure complaints do and should go to Ford.
Sponsored