Sponsored

UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening!

OP
OP
Lake Tahoe Traveler

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr BL SASQ, & 1975 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you asked me if the oil in the pic had A.) 2 miles or B.) 4,600 miles, I would be more inclined to go with A as my answer. While it does look "black", it doesn't look like 4,600 mile oil in the pics. I would be more inclined to think the tech might have rushed the oil change, especially if your Bronco wasn't up to normal temp when he changed it. The 2.7 takes a few minutes for the oil to drain into the pan. So if there was say, 1/2 a qt of old oil, it would easily turn the new oil black in a matter of minutes.
It’s a good thing for me the dealership completely disagrees with your assumption.

Let me ask you this…. There were three five quart jugs. Two full and sealed. The third one had around 3.5 qts in it….

Well, “what if” the guy drained a few quarts emptied the 3.5 jug and kept the brand new seal one for himself? In essence diluting the 4600 mile oil. This would explain it being translucent and yet black at the same t

We could “what if” this thing to death.
Who’s to say??

Bottom line the dealership admits he did Not in fact change my oil.
They are taking full responsibility….
They aren’t trying to dance around any of this second guessing or “what ifs”.

Again, It has been reported and documented. The good news is…. They will determine the official Ford position on where 7 quarts lines up on the dip stick.
When they get back I will share this information.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Send us a photo of that 10 month oil? I own two Toyota cars and a Mazda and the oil always looks black after 3000 miles. It doesn't mean the oil needs to be changed. For years I changed at 3000, increased to 5000. Have to be honest I was reluctant to let it go this long considering how black it is at 3000, but that doesn't mean much.
My moms 2015 Camry oil looks better at 10k miles. I was always impressed by how clean the oil stays in that engine. 2019 Equinox oil is black black after 3k miles. Camry is literally driven by an old lady and Equinox driven spiritedly. Not sure if it’s that, quality, or turbo vs non turbo.

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

At 6400 miles I went to my dealer to get it serviced and have this 7 quart issue explained….
The service tech explained when he changed my oil that he added 7 quarts…
That… having it measure well into the twist on the dip stick was normal.
But if ever was above the twist…that it is definitely overfilled….
(His words to my ears)

I think part of the confusion for the oil level is the cartridge filter, they drain back after shut off, the traditional spin on filters retain most of the oil in them. You check your oil at static stopped level, so while running a good half quart is in the cartridge housing.

They do make a kit to convert to cartridge type as well. I saw it on the TruckU TV show.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

687 days and still waiting to have these kinds of problems! Maybe I will just try something else instead?

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Flip, just wanted to say thanks for your contributions here. You’re a wealth of knowledge and help.
Hopefully we get this dip stick issue sorted out. There’s too many of us anal retentive types that just gots to know exactly what we’re dealing with.
I changed my oil way too premature just to find out how much was in the engine for a baseline which leads me to question I hope you might have a definitive answer on. Does Ford use some kind of break in oil on the initial fill? It is definitely different than standard oil as it smells and feels completely different than jug oil. Maybe it’s just the assembly lube mixed in.
Looking forward to any update on the new sticks.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To my knowledge, the oil in the engine at assembly is just standard Motorcraft 5W-30 blend. I've not found anything in the workshop manual to say otherwise.

When this discussion started months ago we confirmed 7.0 is the correct refill amount and that just about everyone that had a 2.7 at the time, who checked, was over full. If the initial dry fill was 7.5 causing it to be over full, a change with 7.0 should've put it at the correct level, it didn't. I had my FSE look at mine and a couple others that were here and all were over. He reached out to someone on the bronco engineering team who confirmed 7.0 and registered the complaint. I think they looked into it and came up with the twist and drain back theory then moved the twist up. I've got 4 of what I think are the new style sticks ordered to see if they have a new twist. I don't have an engine to tear down and inspect to see if what Ford is saying is correct or if the real answer is the damn stick is just too long. Either way, they're aware of the problem and have stuck by the 7.0qts for refills. Regardless of what the stick says right now, I'd stay with 7.0qt and wait until I get the new ones in for comparison and/or Ford decides if they're going to come out with a program to replace the stick.

If the concern is usage, the way we do a consumption test is to perform an oil change, use bottle oil and refill with the amount in the manual. Run engine, per instructions for checking level then scribe the stick where the oil level shows, regardless of where the holes or hashmarks are. Customer is supposed to drive until it's 1qt low, we record date, hours and mileage and top off. We do this a few times to see if it's within specs and either go forward with a repair plan or call it normal. Some engines use oil, some don't but there is a guideline for normal usage depending on mileage. Most is supposed to happen within the first 10K miles.

ET13

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think its funny that you refuse to go 7 quarts because of the dipstick when its already been stated that 7 quarts is the correct amount. You choose to give your engine less oil because of the dipstick.....

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
Lake Tahoe Traveler

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious, have you frequently drained and checked the color of your oil 2 miles after changing it?
As a matter of curiosity I just did…
On the left oil just drained after three heat cycles.

Middle the so-called dealership oil change from last Saturday.

Right is the fresh oil left over from the jug given back to me (from Saturday)

Left is the oil I just drained at the request of the Dealership after I changed it on Saturday. This oil has three heat cycles on it.

Proof..... Pretty clear that fresh oil does not oxidize and Turn that black after driving it home from an oil change….

Bottom pic is when I got home from the dealership and driving it around the block after changing it on Sunday

Top pic it the mileage from draining it today.
Three heat cycles on this oil.

Ford Bronco UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening! 825A5A0D-E0CA-4D4D-95D6-63815EEF9092

Ford Bronco UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening! 390B73FF-6264-4499-82AD-CAC419403215

Ford Bronco UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening! 6DFF663D-8296-4535-858D-5400B166F5D6

Last edited:

Sponsored

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

hang in there. Once you get your bronco, you will come back and complain like most here. It is part of the course at Bronco6g
You are probably correct but at least give me the chance! Coach put me in!

OP
OP
Lake Tahoe Traveler

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

UPDATE: FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7 qt fill…..

Here is what my dealership heard back from Ford…
Which essentially says to add seven quarts blind…

Therefore Ford is saying to drain out all the oil then just add 7 quarts.

I am still not happy with this….apparently overfilling according to the dipstick (max) is acceptable practice.

At least we have this in writing as a direct Ford directive.

Comment From: DEALER Comment Date: Jun-01-2022 10:13:09
The engine has 7 quarts of oil and is showing high. this is the same throughout the 2.7L engines. The customer wants to make sure this is not causing any damage? [n-carra9][WEB]
Comment From: Ford Comment Date: Jun-01-2022 15:34:27
Xxxxxx,(name omitted)

Thank you for the update. If the oil level is found to be the same on the like units dipsticks, then this would indicate this is likely normal for this vehicle. As long as proper maintenance is being performed with the correct oil and the correct amount of oil is being added to the engine per specifications, then this will not cause any damage to the engine.

Ford Technical Assistance Center -
Conrad

Last edited:

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
To my knowledge, the oil in the engine at assembly is just standard Motorcraft 5W-30 blend. I've not found anything in the workshop manual to say otherwise.

When this discussion started months ago we confirmed 7.0 is the correct refill amount and that just about everyone that had a 2.7 at the time, who checked, was over full. If the initial dry fill was 7.5 causing it to be over full, a change with 7.0 should've put it at the correct level, it didn't. I had my FSE look at mine and a couple others that were here and all were over. He reached out to someone on the bronco engineering team who confirmed 7.0 and registered the complaint. I think they looked into it and came up with the twist and drain back theory then moved the twist up. I've got 4 of what I think are the new style sticks ordered to see if they have a new twist. I don't have an engine to tear down and inspect to see if what Ford is saying is correct or if the real answer is the damn stick is just too long. Either way, they're aware of the problem and have stuck by the 7.0qts for refills. Regardless of what the stick says right now, I'd stay with 7.0qt and wait until I get the new ones in for comparison and/or Ford decides if they're going to come out with a program to replace the stick.

If the concern is usage, the way we do a consumption test is to perform an oil change, use bottle oil and refill with the amount in the manual. Run engine, per instructions for checking level then scribe the stick where the oil level shows, regardless of where the holes or hashmarks are. Customer is supposed to drive until it's 1qt low, we record date, hours and mileage and top off. We do this a few times to see if it's within specs and either go forward with a repair plan or call it normal. Some engines use oil, some don't but there is a guideline for normal usage depending on mileage. Most is supposed to happen within the first 10K miles.
In another thread. @broncorik got one of the new sticks and it is in fact 7/8" shorter than the one that came with our Broncos. His level reads perfect now. Ford has acknowledged the new stick since November or earlier but for some reason didnt make it official and kept using the old stick until now.

Vooch

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Crosstrek xv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Damn, I'd be pissed too.

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
UPDATE: FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7 qt fill…..

Here is what my dealership heard back from Ford…
Which essentially says to add seven quarts blind…

Therefore Ford is saying to drain out all the oil then just add 7 quarts.

I am still not happy with this….apparently overfilling according to the dipstick (max) is acceptable practice.

At least we have this in writing as a direct Ford directive.

Comment From: DEALER Comment Date: Jun-01-2022 10:13:09
The engine has 7 quarts of oil and is showing high. this is the same throughout the 2.7L engines. The customer wants to make sure this is not causing any damage? [n-carra9][WEB]
Comment From: Ford Comment Date: Jun-01-2022 15:34:27
Xxxxxx,(name omitted)

Thank you for the update. If the oil level is found to be the same on the like units dipsticks, then this would indicate this is likely normal for this vehicle. As long as proper maintenance is being performed with the correct oil and the correct amount of oil is being added to the engine per specifications, then this will not cause any damage to the engine.

Ford Technical Assistance Center -
Conrad
This info is correct, 7 quarts is the fill. The dipstick however is not correct. From what I can find the dipstick was a carryover part from the 2.7 FWD variant. The proper dipstick, while getting awareness back in September, didn’t make it to production models until Job 2 for 2022 (5/9/2022) though that hasn’t been verified just yet since those vehicles will be just now hitting customer delivery. Anyone with a H.O.S.S. 3.0 Wildtrak will be able to confirm this. Anyone with a 2.7 built after 5/9 as well but the Wildtrak with Fox shocks will be a more likely candidate for people to be posting about here already. Raptors have a C variant dipstick though they share the same oil capacity, pan, and block reinforcement skirt so not sure what would be different other than exclusivity. Though could be wrong of course.

MB3Z-6750-B (dated 5/9) is the correct dipstick. Thanks to others helping confirm here on the forum.
Sponsored

Last edited: