Sponsored

UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening!

Planet_Express_IV

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How can one be sure of getting the correct part? Online I see that part number listed on some of the other dealers parts inventory but said it was superceded by the same part number but with the dashes instead of no space between the part number. The original stick is FT4Z-6750-C, the -a revision was for the front wheel drive based Fusion/MKZ/Continental/Nautilus/Edge which likely had a lower sump volume than the rwd based application in the Bronco.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Fantastic. No wonder BMW got rid of dipsticks.

edit: @Administrator can you add/merge into the new dipstick thread
hard to admit but couldn't agree more. And the BMW will annoy the heck out of you only but as soon as you are 1 quart low, at which time you can safely add exactly 1 quart,

But when you overbuy a boatload of dipsticks and have nowhere else to put them, why not in vehicles whose owners, according to Ford Authority, have more disposable income (unrelated to units not yet built and delivered which of itself would make anyone more solvent) Ford Bronco Buyers More Loyal And Wealthier Than Wrangler Customers

Ford is not the first to ship errant dipsticks in engines

BroncoKing610

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2.7L Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes I haveā€¦. 7 quarts reads above the max fill lineā€¦ (at least for me it does) and 7 quarts is in the capacity literature page 406-7 in the owners manual.

However until I hear back from Ford via this dealership and or get the new correct dip stickā€¦. I will NOT go against there owners manual saying NOT to fill above the ā€œMaxFillā€ holeā€¦.

Most importantly, this is a dealer-Ford- officially lodged complaint that is documented and will be followed up onā€¦.

So when or if something bad happens from this ā€œoverfillā€ 7 quart situation, it has been officially logged and documentedā€¦.
Thus will force Ford to take an official position for all Bronco owners to benefit from.

1ABCB749-9B71-4604-9938-491F0A21D7DA.png

57D71C4A-D24E-4C1A-976F-A5D36AA2E867.jpeg

D77B2241-C3E2-40AF-9022-F71AD9C300FD.jpeg
Stubborn at this point with the oil fill and you should feel bad going nuclear at the dealer for no reason. Read your manual and do some research and know your car. 7 quarts is what it is, doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s above or below the max line.

Although black oil after 2 miles isnā€™t

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Survey says....

Don't judge me for the mess. New top, old bottom.
ds1.jpg

Measured to the shoulder, old.
ds2.jpg

New
ds3.jpg

Oil level old. (2,500 on oil)
ds4.jpg

New (3 samples, averaged between top hole and top hash mark)
ds5.jpg

Old marking.
ds6.jpg

New
ds7.jpg

I hope we can put this issue to bed now.
Only if the hole in the new stick is in different (correct) position. Who would fill to a level based on the twist? Like a recipe that says use a smidgen, or handful. Your smidgen and my smidgen are different sizes.

When oil would get dirty right away (loose tolerance thirsty carbureted V8s with never attended PCV valves) you only needed hash marks or even just two lines, full and 1 qt low. Now with, other than OPs dirty engine and oil being relatively clean the hole in the stick is a necessary item in order to actually see the oil on the stick.

Can't they make dipsticks in a different material of a very light color that would immediately contrast with oil of any color? (yeah, yeah, if I want to see a white dipstick I should just look in the mirror)

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My blend was March 23rd and I still have the old stick...damn.

Great work by folks in this thread to get this figured out. We all owe you a beer.

Sponsored

Krieger

Raptor
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Update from FORD TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE TO MY DEALER (Bottom photo)
7Qt fill directive

Iā€™ve always changed my oil in all my cars as did my dadā€¦.
Anyway, from newā€¦.my Bronco dip stick read well up into the twistā€¦. Wondered why they overfilled the oil at the factoryā€¦.?????
I changed the oil in my 2..7 at 1800 miles. With 6.4 qts in it was at max full markā€¦.

At 6400 miles I went to my dealer to get it serviced and have this 7 quart issue explainedā€¦.
The service tech explained when he changed my oil that he added 7 quartsā€¦
Thatā€¦ having it measure well into the twist on the dip stick was normal.
But if ever was above the twistā€¦that it is definitely overfilledā€¦.
(His words to my ears)

So drove home 2miles to my houseā€¦ waited for the engine to get stone coldā€¦ checked my oil ( multiple times ā€¦.much to my shock!!! it was well above the twist.

I pulled the bash panel and started to drain some oilā€¦.

What I discovered totally set me back!!!
(the oil) was ā€œBLACKā€ (WTFšŸ˜”šŸ¤¬).

with this, I drained out all of the Oilā€¦. ā€œBlackā€ā€¦ Black!!!!!šŸ¤¬šŸ˜”šŸ¤¬

photos self explanatoryā€¦.new oil vs 2 mile oil from Ford dealership)
Feast your eyes on (what is supposed to be) 7 quarts of fresh oil!!!!!

Iā€™m pissedā€¦. I will never trust anyone but myself (FORD IF YOUR LISTENING)!!!!
I hate being scammed!!!!!!
Not all Ford Service Techs are honest!!!!!

update: Just checked the 100 pound torque on the lug nutsā€¦. They WERE NOT 100ft lb torque spec ā€¦. Nor were they torqued evenlyā€¦
šŸ˜”
My parents always ask me why I do tedious/time consuming but relatively easy things like oil changes and appliance repairs myself when I make good money and could pay someone do it. The reason is I've experienced things like this way more times than I care to count.

While I would love to find people I trust to pay to take work off me that I don't have time to do in the first place, the simple truth is nobody gives a shit about your stuff and absolutely no one but you will treat it like you deserve. They're going to get paid regardless and that's sadly the attitude of about 90% of people in the service industry these days.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
FYI,

My 2.3L dipstick looks like new oil at 750 miles, but experience tells me if will still look black when drained into a bucket. One thing I don't understand about this thread, is why anyone would bring their own oil to a dealer? I'm supersized they would even accept it.

Ford Bronco UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening! 1654185376758

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FYI,

My 2.3L dipstick looks like new oil at 750 miles, but experience tells me if will still look black when drained into a bucket. One thing I don't understand about this thread, is why anyone would bring their own oil to a dealer? I'm supersized they would even accept it.

Ford Bronco UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening! 1654185376758
I've brought my own oil to oil change places forever. It's a good balance between saving money by doing it yourself, and paying full price on an oil change.

You can save a lot of money by bringing Amazon/Costco/Walmart oil to your local shop.

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since ford's maintenance specification in the Bronco Owner's Manual specifies 7 Quarts, this is the number to go by. Some other manufacturers, besides Ford, use the same engine in different models. In some 4X4 vehicles, the engine may use an extra half quart to an extra quart. This is because of the oil pan's configuration and the oil filter's capacity.
For example, I use a bigger oil filter on my 6L Chevy so the engine takes a little more oil than the stock configuration. Same with my Toyota. I'm not sure if a bigger oil filter is available for the Bronco or not but if there is I would use it.
So instead of buying a new dipstick, the alternative is to drain the engine and change the filter. Add precisely 7 quarts and run the engine up to operating temperature. Now have someone turn the engine off and immediately check the oil. If it's not at the top of the hash marks, mark the stick with a cutoff wheel, hacksaw, or a file. Now you have the correct oil level and YOU know it's right on the money.
Ford Bronco UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening! OIL

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Definitely looks like the oil wasn't changed... However, quality engine oil has detergents to capture and suspend deposits and contaminants in it, and this turns it black.... Afyer many, many hundreds of miles that is!

Sponsored

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Definitely looks like the oil wasn't changed... However, quality engine oil has detergents to capture and suspend deposits and contaminants in it, and this turns it black.... Afyer many, many hundreds of miles that is!
Hell replace a quart of new oil with marvels mystery oil and run the car for 10 minutes, oil is black

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just an FYI, I have owned several New Toyota vehicles over the years. I always changed my oil at 3K-4K, and the oil was always clearer than this black oil pictured in this thread.
In 2003 I bought an Isuzu Rodeo with the Direct Injected 3.5L Gas Engine. The reason I bought this rig was I drove a rental car and I couldn't believe the power this engine had. It would break the 31" tires loose and throw you back in the seat. My plans were to keep this Rodeo. My plans changed after several 3K Oil Changes. OMG, the engine oil was BLACK as TAR every time I changed the oil. This couldn't be good. I traded in this Rodeo on a new 4Runner in 2005.

SCADABronx

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LC100, Gen2 Pilot, MX P100D, Gen1 MDX, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is about 5k miles on the Land Cruiser since last August, running 252k total. I will change it soon. I think the UZs are known for being low stress engines, so not surprised. My Escape with 2.0L Ecoboost was black immediately after oil changes.

Ford Bronco UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening! PXL_20220602_180941820~2

Send us a photo of that 10 month oil? I own two Toyota cars and a Mazda and the oil always looks black after 3000 miles. It doesn't mean the oil needs to be changed. For years I changed at 3000, increased to 5000. Have to be honest I was reluctant to let it go this long considering how black it is at 3000, but that doesn't mean much.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Survey says....

Don't judge me for the mess. New top, old bottom.
Ford Bronco UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening! PXL_20220602_180941820~2

Measured to the shoulder, old.

New

Oil level old. (2,500 on oil)

New (3 samples, averaged between top hole and top hash mark)

Old marking.

New

I hope we can put this issue to bed now.
Just to cover all bases.... The valve cover part number has never changed, correct?

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update from FORD TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE TO MY DEALER (Bottom photo)
7Qt fill directive

Iā€™ve always changed my oil in all my cars as did my dadā€¦.
Anyway, from newā€¦.my Bronco dip stick read well up into the twistā€¦. Wondered why they overfilled the oil at the factoryā€¦.?????
I changed the oil in my 2..7 at 1800 miles. With 6.4 qts in it was at max full markā€¦.

At 6400 miles I went to my dealer to get it serviced and have this 7 quart issue explainedā€¦.
The service tech explained when he changed my oil that he added 7 quartsā€¦
Thatā€¦ having it measure well into the twist on the dip stick was normal.
But if ever was above the twistā€¦that it is definitely overfilledā€¦.
(His words to my ears)

So drove home 2miles to my houseā€¦ waited for the engine to get stone coldā€¦ checked my oil ( multiple times ā€¦.much to my shock!!! it was well above the twist.

I pulled the bash panel and started to drain some oilā€¦.

What I discovered totally set me back!!!
(the oil) was ā€œBLACKā€ (WTFšŸ˜”šŸ¤¬).

with this, I drained out all of the Oilā€¦. ā€œBlackā€ā€¦ Black!!!!!šŸ¤¬šŸ˜”šŸ¤¬

photos self explanatoryā€¦.new oil vs 2 mile oil from Ford dealership)
Feast your eyes on (what is supposed to be) 7 quarts of fresh oil!!!!!

Iā€™m pissedā€¦. I will never trust anyone but myself (FORD IF YOUR LISTENING)!!!!
I hate being scammed!!!!!!
Not all Ford Service Techs are honest!!!!!

update: Just checked the 100 pound torque on the lug nutsā€¦. They WERE NOT 100ft lb torque spec ā€¦. Nor were they torqued evenlyā€¦
šŸ˜”

BF867736-6351-413D-A055-43C732CEC5C0.jpeg

8A5AAE6A-9DBB-47F8-A26D-5564E1EF9BAE.jpeg

85A67C13-FEFD-406D-A8F4-FA952443A219.jpeg

2EDE9EAE-7F90-47B5-8C0B-4E20E9C5C971.jpeg

So not only weā€™re you not scammed, you underfilled your own oil? The rare double whammy.
Sponsored