First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would get the hard top (which is by comparison cheap) and buy an aftermarket soft top should you want a soft top as backup, because the aftermarket soft tops are far less expensive than the hard tops.

FWIW, the crack is something that I expect that Ford will tell me is my fault (it's not) and I know that it's probably easily repaired with some JB Weld (which will likely be stronger than the top material anyway). Here is the crack...

IMG_20220919_085531.jpg

As you can see, the unwaxed interior isn't looking all that hot either. Excuse the dirt, I was off-roading yesterday.
Looks exactly like the way mine came at delivery. Dealer filled a warranty request and was approved by Ford for a new hardtop. That was in October of last year. Still patiently waiting for the new top. Honestly, I'm not in any rush and am hoping that they make some changes for the better before sending it to the dealer. It's documented and approved so I'm not pushing at all until they have a better solution or this thing completely falls apart.
Sponsored

SCBronco1

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Lariat Fx4, 2012 BMW X3, 2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have reached out to my dealer and Ford. Ford rejected the warranty claim, the dealership is working with their reps but no update yet. Just wondering if this is isolated or more bronco owners have the same issue but haven't looked careful enough.
Why did Ford reject the warranty claim?

Tacanta14

Black Diamond
First Name
Wasichu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond 4 Door 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would get the hard top (which is by comparison cheap) and buy an aftermarket soft top should you want a soft top as backup, because the aftermarket soft tops are far less expensive than the hard tops.

FWIW, the crack is something that I expect that Ford will tell me is my fault (it's not) and I know that it's probably easily repaired with some JB Weld (which will likely be stronger than the top material anyway). Here is the crack...

Ford Bronco UPDATE/ Ford IS Warranting MIC top v2 developing  hairline cracks 92B6BE18-39E4-4DE6-A597-6DF2A1520E45

As you can see, the unwaxed interior isn't looking all that hot either. Excuse the dirt, I was off-roading yesterday.
"It looks to us like you took a torque wrench, set to 5,000 lbs, and applied too much torque to the bolt that holds the entire top to the frame. Our lawyers have advised us to warn you that if you publish any more photos ot the damage you caused, we will sue the pants off of you. If your top blows off and injures or kills anyone, we will also sue you, for a reason to be determined later. Enjoy your Bronco!" Ford Motor Company

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, nothing is perfect, but this top is crap. The top off my '69 and '70 Blazers were in better condition after 40+ years of hard use than these tops after a few months. For what we are paying, there should be at least a couple of years of decent use in this vehicle before it makes that eventual trip to dust, and that is not an unreasonable request.
yes, the top is crap.
Not sure what everyone expected from a $30k Ford off-road convertible?
Although, a cracking top in the first 2 years is a bit more than even I'd expected on a disposable, cheap Ford.
It'll be interesting to see how these Broncos fair after 5 years. If they all rattle, have broken tops and broken interior pieces, resale value will not be great.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
yes, the top is crap.
Not sure what everyone expected from a $30k Ford off-road convertible?
Although, a cracking top in the first 2 years is a bit more than even I'd expected on a disposable, cheap Ford.
It'll be interesting to see how these Broncos fair after 5 years. If they all rattle, have broken tops and broken interior pieces, resale value will not be great.
My 1999 Miata was a $30k convertible and both the soft top and the hard tops were light years ahead of the Bronco. (MSRP of a base Miata in 1999 was $20k, which is $35k in today's dollars).

So, yes, I was expecting something that would not self destruct when I waxed it or looked at it funny. I didn't get a chance to take the top off the vehicle, it self-destructed moments after I lifted it and slid it 6 inches backwards (to address the fact that the wind noise was so horrible because Ford couldn't be bothered to install enough weather stripping).

Mind you, this is not the end of the world, and could have easily been prevented by laminating an 1/16" aluminum sheet inside the base of the top to give it some rigidity and strength (an 1/8" is too much to expect from Ford).

DenNut

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have reached out to my dealer and Ford. Ford rejected the warranty claim, the dealership is working with their reps but no update yet. Just wondering if this is isolated or more bronco owners have the same issue but haven't looked careful enough.
I went through the warrantee process as well. I was told the cracks would only be caused by a drop or a strike. I was declined… so I’m living with it.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco UPDATE/ Ford IS Warranting MIC top v2 developing  hairline cracks 92B6BE18-39E4-4DE6-A597-6DF2A1520E45

I see an aftermarket aluminum reinforcement plate in someone's manufacturing future.

VailBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Maybe I’m crazy, but I can’t be asked with this—I just don’t think there’s a federal case to be had here.

Everything turns to dust eventually... I couldn’t be bothered with these supposed cracks, or I’d go nuts with any of the real issues that WILL eventually occur.

Not a knock on you, OP. You go forward with any proceedings you see fit—I just think people need to stop expecting perfection from projectiles that are literally moving through the physical world. Absolutely nothing is perfect.
This is such an interesting reply, I'm really trying to wrap my head around it. I'm left thinking you have either reached some sort of spiritual enlightenment....or work at Ford.

Count my MIC hard top as another with same crack in same spot below the hard top window.

Water will get in these cracks, freeze, and then only get worse. Also need to consider that dealers are quoting up to $14k for replacement hard tops (if they can even get them), so you can't just go replace it when it starts leaking...or falls off.

I'm not okay with a 'new normal' that expensive items can be considered disposable and not backed by the manufacturers selling them. Feels like things are heading that way.

OP, I'm actually envious of your devil may care attitude and am going to try to remember that when I get stressed out this week. First world problems....

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is a nasty crack! Is it through both pieces?

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 1999 Miata was a $30k convertible and both the soft top and the hard tops were light years ahead of the Bronco. (MSRP of a base Miata in 1999 was $20k, which is $35k in today's dollars).

So, yes, I was expecting something that would not self destruct when I waxed it or looked at it funny. I didn't get a chance to take the top off the vehicle, it self-destructed moments after I lifted it and slid it 6 inches backwards (to address the fact that the wind noise was so horrible because Ford couldn't be bothered to install enough weather stripping).

Mind you, this is not the end of the world, and could have easily been prevented by laminating an 1/16" aluminum sheet inside the base of the top to give it some rigidity and strength (an 1/8" is too much to expect from Ford).
That's why a lot of people prefer Japanese and German vehicles.
The MIC roof is a defective product. I would say Ford should have cut their losses and stopped selling the MIC, but they'll just deny warranty claims at this point to avoid extra costs.

My soft top is ok; doesn't leak and is easy to operate. All I had to do to finish it from Ford was add struts and re-glue the headliner... :rolleyes:

Originally I would have preferred a wagon body over the convertible because removable roofs are loud, leak, and eventually rattle. Now I just flip the top back every trip and embrace the convertible life.

A Lincoln Mountaineer with a wagon body on the Bronco chassis with HOSS 3.0 and sta-bar disconnect would be awesome, but I'm enjoying the convertible so much I couldn't imagine putting a hard top on, let alone trading for a wagon body 4x4.
I'm sure my opinion will change in a couple years when the roof leaks and the noise becomes tiresome and I've lost 80% in depreciation.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Warranty claim rejected. Reason - excessive application of wax.

RELEGATION BATTLE

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco (2-dr.)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is such an interesting reply, I'm really trying to wrap my head around it. I'm left thinking you have either reached some sort of spiritual enlightenment....or work at Ford.

Count my MIC hard top as another with same crack in same spot below the hard top window.

Water will get in these cracks, freeze, and then only get worse. Also need to consider that dealers are quoting up to $14k for replacement hard tops (if they can even get them), so you can't just go replace it when it starts leaking...or falls off.

I'm not okay with a 'new normal' that expensive items can be considered disposable and not backed by the manufacturers selling them. Feels like things are heading that way.

OP, I'm actually envious of your devil may care attitude and am going to try to remember that when I get stressed out this week. First world problems....
Allow me to clarify: My post was in regards to the OP’s—I’m sorry—I just don’t see a warranty claim there. Those lines could pass for morning dew runoff that contained slight dust or dirt, quite honestly.

Now, the subsequent pics of other guys’ issues—those are real and should be covered. I’ve just seen too many of these “hairline crack” posts on the internet that look like some sort of water runoff. You can’t expect any company to cover that.

So again, I’m not saying there aren’t legitimate claims out there—there are—but definitely not all of them.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not ok with every product turning disposable, either.
Making a more expensive Bronco might fix some fit and finish issues, but with current electronics and regulations it would still be disposable.
I bet it won't be long before removing or disabling any factory system will be effectively illegal because "safety" and "environment", seeing how more and more of these sub-systems are becoming interconnected.

When I look at my Bronco I think I'll be lucky if at the 8 year mark purchase price + out of warranty repairs - selling price will net me $10k. Add in the cost of a loan an you might as well destroy it out in the desert over some jumps.

If I needed transportation I'd be looking at the least expensive new cars. Everything above $25k is a luxury with worse ROI, so to say.
Sponsored