Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Lariat Fx4, 2012 BMW X3, 2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford’s next Tsb should read… If top is still in place and providing shelter, do not look at it. Corrective action…Close eyes.
:ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
We're in the third model year, and still dealing with this BS! Unbelievable!
It's quite amazing. How are my 20+ year old Jeep tops having no issues?

I wonder how long is the warranty on the Bronco hardtop? If many of them start cracking, it could be a large cost to Ford, unless Ford can wait it out until warranty no longer applies.

And also if the new top replaced under warranty has no manufacturing fix, isn't this just kicking the can down the road, and the second top will start cracking later, when warranty is likely expired?

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The MIC top is garbage, not if but when it will fail. This is why its still a constraint, they cant keep up with producing new ones and the warranty claims now.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's quite amazing. How are my 20+ year old Jeep tops having no issues?

I wonder how long is the warranty on the Bronco hardtop? If many of them start cracking, it could be a large cost to Ford, unless Ford can wait it out until warranty no longer applies.

And also if the new top replaced under warranty has no manufacturing fix, isn't this just kicking the can down the road, and the second top will start cracking later, when warranty is likely expired?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Jeep's tops are made by the same manufacturer. Why can't Ford get the same quality? Is it because the manufacturer is simply following Ford's design? This really is unacceptable and going to end up costing Ford a bundle. No wonder their stock is going nowhere.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's wild. And still no MOD top for the masses, which is hopefully better but is that one Webasto, too?
I think it is Webasto, but don't they make the Jeep tops? Jeep's painted hard tops are beautiful!

Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think it is Webasto, but don't they make the Jeep tops? Jeep's painted hard tops are beautiful!
No, some fiberglass boat company makes the Jeep tops. I never noticed them till the B6G rolled out and now I admire every painted Jeep top I see 😁

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They said it wasn't a failure due to manufacturing. They are just refusing the claim because of cost.. They continue to believe it is wax or some kind of misuse by me. Bronco stored in the garage from day one, 5000 miles on it, delivered first week of March 2022
I hope your dealer takes care of you.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I hope your dealer takes care of you.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ford was hit with a class action lawsuit. They have had more than enough time to make sure those tops are perfect. Inexcusable.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is what I want to know for everyone that has already had their top replaced under warranty. Aren't they just replacing them with the same tops, and it will happen again? I haven't heard of any changes in design or fabrication of the tops, other than 1.0 to 2.0. In my opinion, they need a thicker layer of plastic over the cardboard......not the 1 mil thick layer of plastic that doesn't do shit.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This is what I want to know for everyone that has already had their top replaced under warranty. Aren't they just replacing them with the same tops, and it will happen again? I haven't heard of any changes in design or fabrication of the tops, other than 1.0 to 2.0. In my opinion, they need a thicker layer of plastic over the cardboard......not the 1 mil thick layer of plastic that doesn't do shit.
That’s why I haven’t pushed my dealer again for a replacement. I’ve seen nothing that leads me to think I will get a better top yet. I’m waiting for that day but idk if it will come at this rate.

Sponsored

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That’s why I haven’t pushed my dealer again for a replacement. I’ve seen nothing that leads me to think I will get a better top yet. I’m waiting for that day but idk if it will come at this rate.
That's what I'm worried about too.....possibly get a worse replacement top.

Has anyone with a 2.0 MIC top had the same or worse problems with their second warranty top?

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Jeep's tops are made by the same manufacturer. Why can't Ford get the same quality? Is it because the manufacturer is simply following Ford's design? This really is unacceptable and going to end up costing Ford a bundle. No wonder their stock is going nowhere.
I want to say Jeep uses a different company. At least a different design.

I recall reading up on Webasto, and they were playing up their expertise in honeycomb construction, and sandwiching it between outer surfaces. They made a big deal about the strength and weight benefits, and being an industry leader in that regard.

That's a reason I'm surprised Webasto has had trouble getting Bronco hardtop edges adequately fused, and trouble with the internal honeycomb structure showing through the outer skin, along with the more recent cracking. You'd think Webasto would have had the design and construction tech down pat already, but who knows.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
That’s bullshit. 100% manufacturing defect.
Reasonable counter argument: it was designed to crack and fail, there is no defect.

And I would recon that argument holds up when in the year 2021 you're making a vehicle roof out of formed press board wrapped in plastic skin.

That's the stuff interior door skins were made from in the 1950's. Stuff so cheap that you could DIY new interior door cards for less than $50 (inflation adjusted).

Damarcus XI

Base
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hate to be that guy, but Jeep's have that extra support bar down the middle of the roof.

Bronco doesn't have that, Ford wanted that open air experience.

My guess is that extra support puts less stress on the top. Which is why the Ford ones need to be made with a slightly different / lighter process. Which leads to these defects.

It almost feels like something Jeep would've done a long time ago had they not figured it out already

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I want to say Jeep uses a different company. At least a different design.

I recall reading up on Webasto, and they were playing up their expertise in honeycomb construction, and sandwiching it between outer surfaces. They made a big deal about the strength and weight benefits, and being an industry leader in that regard.

That's a reason I'm surprised Webasto has had trouble getting Bronco hardtop edges adequately fused, and trouble with the internal honeycomb structure showing through the outer skin, along with the more recent cracking. You'd think Webasto would have had the design and construction tech down pat already, but who knows.
It's not an internal honeycomb structure.

It's pressboard.

AKA: this stuff: (for which I have made door cards, it's not an acceptable material for a vehicle roof)
https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detai..._194754_Original_Leather_Grain_Cardboard.html
Sponsored